LENDON GRAY CLINIC

Dressage

Moderator: EC

LENDON GRAY CLINIC

Postby danseurhorse » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well. . . . I just got back from a 2 day clinic with Lendon Gray in upstate New York.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow - tough lady to ride for.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Basically, the first day, it was a "get aquainted day", with the foundation of what she expected from you as a rider at the level that you apparently rode at. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The second day - if you did not deliver  the goods - watch out.  None of the patronizing laid back lesson that I think most of us have come to expect from the clinicians that we have in the TO area.  She stripped it down and told it like it was and I sincerely felt for some of the riders there.  But . . . it certainly separated the men from the boys and if you were genuinely serious about dressage and the big picture, it denfinately set you in the right direction. She does not believe in wasting time, or wasting a good horse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What an eye opener.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Congrats!  I heard through the grapevine it was by invitation only!  Did you take your advanced horse?  Tell us how your rides went?  Did she have favourable comments about your work with your horse?  I have always liked your style of riding....quiet and elegant!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know I wouldn't be able to last 10 minutes with her....LOL!  Too out of shape!  I think I rode better in the winter.  As I have aged I don't tolerate the heat very well.  I would have loved to be ringside to have watched your rides!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh danseurhorse, how lucky you are !!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know those great names are tough but how important are thier words and you may have work for a year with everything you learn. Yes tell us about your ride, what was your principal difficulties...some details !!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would love to get a clinic from her one day...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember watching Lendon Gray ride in Saratoga.  She did a demo during the lunch break for everyone it was great.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes how were your rides?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Razzba » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow! Lucky you!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What did you work on???#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Razzba

Postby danseurhorse » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I took my PSG horse.  I felt very good in the fact that our basics were in place and that I rode correctly for the level.  She loved my horse!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley10.gif"#ed_cl#  We worked on our flying changes and passage steps.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Saturday was a great ride.  Sunday she asked me for my canter pirouettes.  That's where we ran into trouble . . .#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is so frustrating as an upper level rider to be taught a movement, ride it in tests and get decent marks for it and then have the carpet yanked out from under you and told that, in essence, you have been taught incorrectly!!!!  Arghh.  Anyone that knows me, knows I am a perfectionist and to be told that the movement is incorrect is unbelieveably frustrating.  I was in tears at the end, not because of Lendon, but because now I have to go home and there is just no one that I have come across (and there's been lots!) in my area (GTA)  that comes even close to this woman's knowlege and expertise.  Just another example of how and why the USA is at the top of the game in the World standings.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I will take what I learned this weekend and apply, apply, apply  . . . #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Leena » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Danseurhorse .....You are lucky, you know that ?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Because, you have been told...this 50% of the problem now fix. You can work on it...Otherwise, you would have stayed in the dark, and you would not have been able to progress. This is why there is Lendon Gray and a few others ...a very few.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I have been told I was not riding the right way 10 years ago, that I had to start from the basic, it was a big slam on my pride.But there was someone who told me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since we don't have a dressage shool with dressage philosophy, like the Cadre noir or other european prestigian schools, we, as Canadian, chew our efforts in our indoor, freezing and waiting for 4 or 5 shows during the summer. At this pace, progressing is almost a miracle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know how you feel I have had my horse who is trained up to GP to learn on.... and i could get the job done on most things but all the sudden I am being taught to ask for things differently and it is amazing how much better the movements are.  The simplest things like backing up, it is unbelievable how much easier it can be the new way compared to how I was originally taught.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#WHat about looking into Belinda Trussel I really enjoy her clinics and also she has top riders from Europe come to her barn for lessons as well.  Udo Lange and Christolot Boylen are a few that have been there recently.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is in the Newmarket area... I believe....really close to the old York Equestrian Centre.. can not remember the new name now...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Terry3025 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Belinda Trussel is at Oak Crest Stables in Stouffville :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby zooka » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:19 am

Terry3025 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Belinda Trussel is at Oak Crest Stables in Stouffville :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# yeah that is it!!  I am not very up on my Toronto barns and Toronto areas...  thanks  I really like that place!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby danseurhorse » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well said Leena!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Dressage