Using your seat bones

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Using your seat bones

Postby Terry3025 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#...For upward and downward transitions.  How do you do it?  For an upward transition, I try to lighten my seat and just relax my whole body.  For the downward transitions, I sit deeper in the saddle and of course use my legs a bit more and hum.  Also how do you change the horses speed example, extending the trot, by using your seat bones?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks, and oh this is my 500th post!!!!! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby AWSgurl » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would have to say that I sit " into" the saddle on my upwards transitions, and sit more quitely in my downward transitions but still have my legs on to encourage the back end to engage............:)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Coloured Horses for Sport
AWSgurl

Postby jax » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hard to explain, really.  With upwards, you are dictating the speed and loft with your seatbones.  For example, when I am walking and I want an upwards to trot, I will move/push like how I would move in the trot itself. So, rather than lighten and relax, drive with the legs and make the horse go with your movement, if that makes sense.  Open the door for the horse with the reins, and let your seat dictate the pace.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For extended, again you give more movement and loft with your seat, while driving with the legs and containing/elevating/allowing the front end with the bit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is a time for you to go with the horse's movement, but there is also a time for you to make the horse go with your movement.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Piaffing » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For upwards exhale your breath so that you relax and the horse can move forward.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For downwards hold your breath and resist with body until transistion is started then release the body. Stop resisting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It really is kind of hard to explain so other people get what you mean... Its just something natural that you will just start being able to do... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For upward you pretty much ride the horse into the speed with your seat bones... sitting deeper and "pushing" kind off... and then relax...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Downward, as a coach once explained, you do a "freeze frame".... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Once you get it its soo easy to understand though#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I feel your pain! Rockyhorse has been teachign me Centered Riding and it took me forever to 'get' what she meant about my seat bones. The teminology / visualization that finally 'clicked' it for me is 'walking' your seat bones from the trot to the walk. and trotting them up. Good luck. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For upwards transitions, or to get a lengthen I push my seat bones into the saddle in the appropriate rhythm. For downwards I come down more on the pelvic rim and resist the motion, or if half-halting, well this is going to sound funny no matter how I put it, I try to pick his withers up with my crotch. There. I've said it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Dressage