Ontario Dressage Championships

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Postby pony crazy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#rickie speaking as someone who competes trillium,i'm with judy on this one.it makes it more affordable when you don't have to travel.when championships where at the equestrian park in nepean the whole show including trailering cost me under $200,when it was at hawkridge it cost closed to $400.and that was still the eastern division.i can't imagine how much it would have cost me to go to where the western division is held.and you need scores of 53% or more to qualify,two scores by different judges and you have to go to atleast three shows to be able to go to championships.and if you have ever competed here in the oadg area,judy can back me up on this one,it is very difficult to get a score of 53% at spiritwood after or while it is pouring rain.the footing gets crazy and almost sucks your horses hooves off.Most of us in trillium are not riding the big fancy horses like you see at the national shows,who can obviously afford to be there.And speaking for myself I love to compete and if the only way I can do it is to show trillium then I'm glad it is around and affordable.I qualified two years in a row with a morgan/qh cross,I got really good scores but had to work hard to get them.not easy to keep her up hill the whole time.would i like a big fancy mover sure but right now i work with what i have cause i enjoy it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pony crazy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#sorry it must be 60% to qualify for something else, maybe an award or something... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby pony crazy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i never heard of having to get a 60 to qualify for anything...i know if you get 60 or over and are champion at a national level show you can't compete at that level in trillium(or something like that).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pony crazy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Judy F » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:17 pm

Okay....   #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
First off, judges aren't supposed to mark on 'peeves' -- there is a
scale of marks and they go to judging clinics to learn exactly what a 4
or 5 or a 6 or an 8 should look like.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
"Free rein" should be on the buckle, but most of the tests say "long
rein" which can be any length you're comfortable with.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Granted, footing can vary, but most of the best venues, like Palgrave
and the Nepean Equestian Park, (and Spiritwood) use the same grade of
sand -- sharp sand or crushed sandstone -- so it should not be a
significant factor.  Weather, of course, is something else. 
If one site is severe clear, moderate temps and the other is pouring
buckets, then the riders at the second site will have problems. 
Unfortunately, weather is not a controllable factor.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:32 pm

pony crazy wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most of us in trillium are not riding the big fancy horses like you see at the national shows,who can obviously afford to be there.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't think that everyone who shows National can afford it either! I show National and I'm not going to the Championships because, guess what, I can't afford it. For me it actually doesn't save me any money to show Trillium instead because my coach shows National and therefore I can get trailering on the cheap for those shows. If I showed Trillium I would have to pay way more for the trailering which negates any savings on entries. The first year I moved up to National I sat down and worked out what it would cost me to do one day of a National show with no stabling as opposed to a Trillium show and I think it was only $20-$30 more for the National show. Then once my coach started showing again the savings on trailering paid for the stall and I could go for 2 days anyway.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#rickie, my last year at Trillium the Championships were at Black's in Hamilton and it had rained a lot that week. I was the first rider in of the day in a slick ring and had to crawl around. 1 hour later the footing was drying and the scores went up. So the footing can change even in the same class at the same venue! That bad draw on ride time cost me at the very least the Reserve Championship, but s#*t happens sometimes! You can't do anything about the weather and sometimes the situation is what it is.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Adi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have found national to be more affordable than trillium as I feel that you get more "bang for your buck" than you would at a trillium show. I am referring more to the big national shows where they are held over 3-4 days, you can ride 2 tests a day in front of several different judges over the 3-4 days. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry I guess, this is a little off of the original topic, but I just needed to add this in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Adi
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Adi, I agree with that, but sometimes the funds have finite number...#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like National better, I think the judging gives you a better picture of what your abilities really are, in my experience Trillium is a little more forgiving. I think it is a valuable circuit, but if you ever intend on showing 3rd Level or higher you might as well go National if it's a reasonable possibility, rather than hitting 3rd at Trillium and then having to throw yourself to the wolves at 4th National.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pony crazy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i guess it would depend on which area of the province you are in...right now in the ottawa area trillium is cheaper than nationals.has been for awhile.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pony crazy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, perhaps the entries at Trillium are a little higher at the shows I would have gone to in my area. Also it has been a few years since I really sat down and did the price comparison, but yeah, when I did that it only worked out to about $20-$30 more to do one day at either National or Trillium.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You know what, when it comes to showing, if I want to show at certain shows I find the money.  I chose to show Trillium this year just because I wanted to be a little more low key and a little less competion at Open in my area.  But next year it will be National.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Adi » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Or if you really want to make it affordable, you could board at a facility that hosts trillium or national shows, then you don't have to pay trailering, accommodations, stabling etc! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl# Our boarders love it and we do get good participation from them in the 3 tillium shows we host.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Adi
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well quite honestly I am trying to enjoy a 'rich man's sport' on a budget.  I don't even show Trillium anymore.  In fact, have not shown in 10 years and I now only do Primary. In fact, we have the same judge as Trillium as their show is right after the Primary/same day.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#According, to my friend who has shown National in the past, when you attend one National show...it cost her $1,000.  She has to travel to the venue/own trailer, rent a room, stabling for her horse, sometimes coaching fees...Once all her classes are paid that is what she is looking at.  I too, would say there are so few Primary shows that when you do go you stay for the duration and do lots of classes.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as finding the money Chisholm....not all of us have spare $$ just laying around...LOL!  Showing/riding has had to take a back burner to family things.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth....if you have worked hard all year I would think you focus was to make it to the Championships...I would try to find a way!  Heck it can't be that much more than your regular shows.  I know when I showed that series the Championship was like the grande finale.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:53 pm

Patricia wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth....if you have worked hard all year I would think you focus was to make it to the Championships...I would try to find a way!  Heck it can't be that much more than your regular shows.  I know when I showed that series the Championship was like the grande finale.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia, unfortunately it will cost me double what it usually does to go to a show. If I had known about them before I entered the last show at the RCRA I would have skipped that show and done the Championships instead as I already had the scores. It's not the entries, it's the other costs I don't have when I compete at Palgrave or RCRA because they are much closer to home than Saddlewood. My coach isn't going so trailering will jump from $120 to $600, plus a hotel room for 2 nights that I don't usually have to get because I can stay at home, plus meals that I don't usually have to buy. So we're up to $800 before entries, to say nothing of having to take an extra day off work. I am not on salary so if I'm not there I don't get paid. For the regular shows I only show Sat/Sun which is only 2 days off work instead of 3.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This would all be well and fine, and I wouldn't have any qualms about running myself into greater debt to go to the show except I have already had to pay $1,000 in unusual bills in September and I still owe at least that over again to other people, some of them since May. So no, I have to draw the line somewhere. It's too bad and big chunk of me is kicking myself for not going, but it just not feasible.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth--That is too bad....Had no idea....That is mighty expensive trailering...LOL!  I totally understand.  I am ONLY doing Primary shows due to the expense just of Trillium.  Heck I show under the same judge on the same day as the Trillium people and the fee are so much cheaper.  I am only there now for FUN and a learning experience for my son.  We could have fit right in at the Trillium level as our horse had been going very well for both of us till his saddle/back issues developed.  At this point in time we are just happy with where we are at.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Elatu » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess I've been in the dressage ring for too long! That, or I have a memory like an elephant.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Years ago, the National Dressage Championships were held in 3 Venues across Canada; West, East and Atlantic Divisions, with the same judges on 3 consecutive weekends. This was done for quite a few years. Why make the competitiors drive exhorbinant distances when you can move the judges around for a significant amount of less money and attract more competitors. Even the provincial government used to alocate travel funds for horses/riders who competed at the Championships (thanks to Wintario)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The Ontario Dressage Championships have been absent for a few years, until now; thanks to the organizers in KLDA!.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Where are the full "Canadian Championships" now. Apart from the Junior/Young rider in Ottawa, and the Canadian Grand Prix Championship at the Royal, the old way of determining a "true" Canadian Champion in any other level does not exist at this time. Perhaps give it a couple of years, and it will return (let's hope)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I read one poster who commented on the Trillium Championships on only a couple of people competing in one of the divisions. So what!  That happens to me in the Open division; but I do have to compete against a percentage. I am there for a couple of reasons; and one of them is to support this circuit. I have since it's inception with myself and my students. It's the best deal going..........EC Judges for a fraction of the price of a National show, held on one day! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#After reading a couple of posts on this thread..........Does'nt anyone have any faith in the judges that are hired???? I think the personal accusations and possible perceptions of these judges is totally uncalled for. You'd be surprised who lurks on this message board. I for one would be pretty ticked off if I was one of the judges and read comments about "how" I may judge on a particular day.  I think this argument about different facility/footing yatta, yatta, does not hold water. It's a fabulous idea, and it gives more people a chance to attend. Again, another hats off to the organizers of the the two divisions of the Trillium Championips and their venues, and COAI volunteers for putting this together.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Elatu
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Judy F » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:41 am

Thanks for your support Elatu!  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I too remember (and helped with scoring several times) when we held 2
or 3 separate National championships.  I was there for the first
one held at Dwyer Hill, near Ottawa, way back in 1979.  It was the
first time I had ever seen a Grand Prix horse, or watched a GP
class.  Awesome!!!  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The National championships sort of 'broke down' due to a lack of
financial support from what is now Equine Canada.  It was a great
idea: 3 shows, 3 weekends, 3 locations (like Ontario, Manitoba/Sask and
BC), but the show committees had to share expenses, including the cost
of flying all 5 judges (at least one from Europe &/or US) to all 3
venues.  That turned into a deal breaker as the expense of the
short trips became astronomical, due to the vagaries of airline prices
over multiple routes.  Also, some committees were more experienced
at attracting sponsors than others.  Some venues had too few
riders able to compete nationally at FEI levels, other riders didn't
like to compete against FEI riders on their lower level horses (first
time I saw Christalot Boylen ride a 75% basic test).#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The biggest problem though, was the size of the country!  The last
years, the hosting local dressage group lost considerable money and
some groups wound up bankrupt.  When you have a committee composed
of volunteers, that's very hard to recover from.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to Dressage