Working student

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Working student

Postby tanya » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone know of places around here ( dressage) that will take in working students ? A friend of mine ( not in this province) is looking to further her training and is willing to work for it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The sighted sees not the world but the blind sees the world in one small child.
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what area Tanya?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby tanya » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She was looking at any place that will have good dressage instruction. She is in BC right now and was thinking of Ontario. I believe she would look at just about anywhere as long as the place is reputable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Piaffing » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know Gary Vander Ploeg has working students.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tanya » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Because she is out of the province can anyone that knows supply a website so she can email them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby tanya » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am terribly disapointed in the response here. She has received an offer to go to a US facility and it is a shame that once again our young talent must seek recognition in another country.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is but if that is where the opportunities are that is where people must go.  I know of places that take working students but unless I know it is an amazing opportunity I am not going to suggest it.  At the moment I do not know of any places around that would be great.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why be disappointed in the responses.  You just posted this last night.  Give use a chance at least, like a week or so!  We are just a bulletin board where we chat, not many of us here have our own training facilities or even ride at the big places.  And working student postions are not always widely advertised. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And btw your friend should looked into Dressage Trainers in BC.  So of our best are right there.  Check out Leslie Ried for instance.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most big riders have working student postions.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jaimey Irwin is always advertising working student positions. #ed_op#A href="http://www.stoneylakeequestrian.ca/"#ed_cl#http://www.stoneylakeequestrian.ca/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Though I have to say that some of our best riders in canada have gone and spent time overseas as working students at some of the european riders facilities. Sometimes going to another country is better and your friend will probly learn alot im sure. Wether she trains with a german or american or canada or whatever, she will learn valuable training from someone more experienced than herself and she will still be a canadian rider. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just wanted to add that Gina Smith does working student positions also. And one of our own members from EC is up at Gina's right now. So there is more in Canada if you just look. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree, you just have to look.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#About a year ago, a lady in Belgium (right on the border of the Netherlands) was ready to take me as a working student.  She is a Canadian, married to a Belgium citizen. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The opportunities are there if you look. Sometimes, it isn't clearly advertised but it's a matter of calling around.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby tanya » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:18 am

Chisholm wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Why be disappointed in the responses.  You just posted this last night.  Give use a chance at least, like a week or so! #ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# We are just a bulletin board where we chat, not many of us here have our own training facilities or even ride at the big places.  And working student postions are not always widely advertised. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And btw your friend should looked into Dressage Trainers in BC.  So of our best are right there.  Check out Leslie Ried for instance.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most big riders have working student postions.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I posted this a month ago not last night !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK, so are you still looking? I just gave you 2 very realistic names to check out. If you go onto Jaimey Irwins website it actually says they are looking for someone right now. So get on it before the position is gone. They are right in Ontario. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tanya » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:52 am

xena_n_joss wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK, so are you still looking? I just gave you 2 very realistic names to check out. If you go onto Jaimey Irwins website it actually says they are looking for someone right now. So get on it before the position is gone. They are right in Ontario. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She has not made up her mind yet as she would prefer to stay in Canada. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#BTW the link dos not work.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey we are just a BB.  Ever heard of Google, OR better yet go to Equine Canada website (The old CEF)...There they list and rank our top dressage riders.  Some are right in her own backyard in B.C.  If your in the sport you usually know where to find them.  They want someone who ALREADY has experience BUT needs the training to make it to the top levels.  They don't usually take novice people.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The dressage world is REALLY very small....actually LIX that person you talk about in Belgium--Is it Penny Zavitz?  She takes Canadians as working students all the time to give back.  She is from the Niagara area originally.  When I started showing eons ago she was one of my first judges at a winter school show.  She was SO encouraging and I didn't even have a typical dressage mount--a Saddlebred....I also attended a couple of clinics with her back then and still recall that to be some of my best riding with a difficult/tense TB.  I am in the middle of nowhere but I DO know that there are 4 top riders/trainers within only an hour of me and 3 are probably listed at Equine Canada.  Good luck in your search!  If it is what she REALLY wants to do...I would go anywhere...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry Tanya but I saw the date the 11th only, my mistake.  But when you don't see you post being responded too, bump it up or change the title to get our interest peaked.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try Liz Steacie#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tom Dovark#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gary Van de Ploeg#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gina Smith#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nancy Maclachlin#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leslie Reid (BC)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And that just names a few.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I had to do my training over, I would head over to Europe as a working student.  Still might as long as I can do it in the next few years.  Depends if life leaves me an opening to do so.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the link just worked for me and im on a different computer now... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tanya » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:04 am

Patricia wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey we are just a BB.  Ever heard of Google, OR better yet go to Equine Canada website (The old CEF)...There they list and rank our top dressage riders.  Some are right in her own backyard in B.C.  If your in the sport you usually know where to find them.  They want someone who ALREADY has experience BUT needs the training to make it to the top levels.  They don't usually take novice people.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The dressage world is REALLY very small....actually LIX that person you talk about in Belgium--Is it Penny Zavitz?  She takes Canadians as working students all the time to give back.  She is from the Niagara area originally.  When I started showing eons ago she was one of my first judges at a winter school show.  She was SO encouraging and I didn't even have a typical dressage mount--a Saddlebred....I also attended a couple of clinics with her back then and still recall that to be some of my best riding with a difficult/tense TB.  I am in the middle of nowhere but I DO know that there are 4 top riders/trainers within only an hour of me and 3 are probably listed at Equine Canada.  Good luck in your search!  If it is what she REALLY wants to do...I would go anywhere...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I am sorry if I seem to gotten everyone's nose twisted. I am only posting on two Canadian sites, this one and a BC one where I was asked innocently enough if there were any trainers taking in working students outside of BC. I have seen pictures of her riding and they look good but I am no dressage expert. All I was looking for are email sites where she could do her own explaining of how good she really is and they could decide. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Because I am no dressage expert I am not aware of the locations already mentioned. I am just disappointed that it look my post last night to get everyone to post what you have said this morning. Why couldn't these answers have come a month ago. There were over 250 views and my request of Gary's email address was left hanging.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I was reluctant to post my original request as I haven't come back to this board that much after it was revamped. I felt that without a donation to this site I really would not be welcomed. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Thanks xena I will look them up.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
tanya
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I will tell you this...the good rider/trainers don't often have a website and do not advertise.  People find them because they are in demand.  The people I talk about in my area have no website, although their reputation speaks for itself.  Try Equine Canada's website to get a list of their long and short listed riders and go from there.  #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#NOTE:  Sometimes certain post fall by the wayside....or get missed...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia... are you saying that Tina and Jaimey are not good because they have a website? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl# I know not all have website but many trainers do. You just need to look. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gina Smith has a site too. I will try and find it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just so you all know, im on a transfer at work and im on hold with indian tech support... oh my gaw... stop the music... pleaaaaaaaseeee #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tanya I think you are taking it more personally then you should.  Unless someoen tries and keeps a post active in the dressage section it will go down fairly fast.  Only posts that spark some debating stay up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree that not everyone has websites and we could name off names to you but you or your friend would still have to get contact info to see if they are looking for working students.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is a great board and they do not demand you give a donation to it, it was just a suggestion to help keep the board going.  A lot of people don't and they still post on here all the time and like it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try googling working student positions or get your friend to do up an ad.  I think you will find that you  will have to call around to most barns.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Next

Return to Dressage