Coming thru

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Coming thru

Postby riderready » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any good tips on getting a horse to come through consistently?  The horse I ride is very good at "the fake" (pretty neck flexion with nothing from behind), but gets stiff throught he left shoulder or choppy/hoppy when I try to get him to come through from behind.  He's doing a nice forward warm up but we lose it when I try to collect him.    #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
riderready
Newbies
Newbies

Postby graciespook » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As you probably know, it all comes from behind. I like to establish three things--forward, straight and rhythm. I find when all three things click, the horse starts to naturally come down onto the bit. I have them underneath me and then I can work with them. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If something isn't working, go back one step and re-evaluate what you're doing. I would seek the advice of someone who can watch you ride and give you pointers from there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Remember that things happen gradually too. Expecting the horse to come directly on the bit and be collected from a forward and loose warm-up when they have problems with it can be difficult. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If the horse is choppy in the hind end get him checked by a vet. Could be a stifle problem.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmm...what do you mean by "collect him", Rideready??  Do you mean shorten up your reins?  You should be allowing your horse to stretch down onto the contact rather than taking up the contact and expecting him to follow you (does that make sense?).  Let him come to you, not the other way around.  Ride him forward into the contact.   #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He might be getting "choppy" because he's not ready for collection yet but if you just keep riding him forward, with a light contact, he should eventually reach for it.  Then you take up the slack in the reins.  And don't expect it to be a consistent thing.  You may only get two or three strides before he "loses" it again.  Just keep working on forward, straight and rhythm, and praise him when you feel his back come up and he reaches for that contact.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kinda hard to explain.  Do you have a coach?  Having experienced eyes on the ground is really the best way to tell when you're "getting it" or not.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im guessing you mean by colect just shorten the frame and go more round... Not full collections, right?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# I find that working forward-downward first and getting my horse relaxed through the back first before we collect helps her tons. By the end of the warm up she eventually has her frame shortened and is more collected. With her it is more the transition from the warm up to the more round and collected, she does not do well going straight from one to the other. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also make sure you are sitting upright and not crooked at the horses center of gravity. If you are leaning at all forward or looking down this will bring your horse on the forehand like that. Transitions are great for building up the back and hind muscles and hock strength that your horse needs to truely come from behind, not just one or 2, tons and tons each ride. Your horses head set ideally be set from your body position riding him into the frame, not by what your hands are doing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is your horse younger? Or older... breed ect?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your horse gets choppy and tense while getting "collected" that is his way to resist to it. Good comments has been made from cheking his stiffles, back to working on transitions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The use of legs and seat is ultra important in getting a horse to collect . If your horse gets choppy, put more leg, use your outside rein as he drop his neck and get more forward. You are better to work this way for a while instead of getting into a confrontation.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Help of a coach on your position could be need and also get to understand whay your horse is resisting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope this help and good luck !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Judy F » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:35 pm

If he's not coming 'through', he may not be strong enough behind yet,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#no flexible enough.  If he's getting 'choppy'  then you don't#ed_op#br#ed_cl#have proper rhythm established and this is the first and most basic#ed_op#br#ed_cl#building block for dressage (and most other types of riding).  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#Continuing to ride forwards into a light contact is fine, but you can#ed_op#br#ed_cl#help get him to work under more by doing a lot of trot-canter-trot#ed_op#br#ed_cl#transistions and by making him walk backwards, either in hand or #ed_op#br#ed_cl#while you're riding.  Don't over do it, if he begins to resist,#ed_op#br#ed_cl#stop and go forwards again, just a couple of steps is enough at a time.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The other thing to remember is that, in order to step under, the horse must #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
lighten the fore-hand, in effect, raise himself  UP.  This is very hard to do and#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
is the major difference between training level and first level.  It's called 'self carriage'.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Backing up will help with this.  Also, every time you groom him, tickle his belly #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
midline a little behind the girth zone so he learns to lift his back.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Dressage