top hats

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Postby zooka » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL if you hate wearing a helmet then maybe you should school in a top hat #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/8.gif"#ed_cl#sorry I could not resist!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well I guess that way xena would be used to it in case it falls off, then she wont spook?? lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Needless death

Postby J Johnston » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:04 pm

Quote from EuroDressage:
We received the sad news today that American dressage rider Jane Lawson passed away in a tragic riding accident. Lawson, who was living and training in England, fell off her horse when it got caught in the mounting block and flipped. Lawson severely injured her head and deceased soon after. Jane Elizabeth Lawson competed at the Sunshine Tour CDI this year aboard Giorgio S, Nicky Barrett's former Grand Prix horse with whom Barrett won the British National Dressage Title. Jane will be greatly missed.

This more eloquently than anything else one might say on the topic covers it all.
J Johnston
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I remember reading about someone who was at a barn that the rule was everyone must wear a helmet but this person was a big name (do not remember who right now) and would never ride without a helmet.  She fell off for some reason and suffered head trauma and died and they said that if she had a helmet on there was a good chance she would still be here today.  Maybe it is the same person but I can not remember the name.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I fell into a ditch jump last year, boy was I glad to have my helmet on then. I remember falling and thinking omg im going to break my neck. Luckily my big nose broke the fall, honestly I was thrown and from my nose to my chin was one huge scrape and my chin was swelled. I thought I was going to be missing teeth... haha... Im surprised I didnt break my nose. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow that sounds like quite the fall!  Glad you are OK#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I guess the fall didn't knock some sense into you.  Are you one of those girls that is more worried about having 'a good hair day.'  I too am not a fan of helmets because I get headaches.  So I bought an Aegis vented/plastic type helmet.  It keeps me cooler in summer and it is approved, light and not heavy.  I only wear my velvet black helmet at show and in winter.  It should be like putting your seat belt on in the car.  Safety first!  It is a good habit to start!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#it is true, I have seen some pretty nasty falls on quiet horses when nothing was really going on.  omething in their heads just said sping or jump and bam helmet against the wall or head first dive.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol no, patricia I dont care about my hair. I just dont like wearing it. I dont part company with Xena very easy and other then the fall at the jump I have fallen off her 1 other time in the 4 years ive owned her. And that was when we first broke her. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Im not making excuses but I just dont like wearing it. It may be a stupid idea. And if its a horse I dont know or a spooky horse, sure, I wear it. Xena is not that quiet either but I know pretty much every trick shes got. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can say its a stupid idea, but are you going to call Carl Hester Anky stupid when they dont wear a helmet either? Its a personal choice, and when I smash my head open you can both say I told you so. Sound fair?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are still capable of understanding us.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anky broke her leg a couple of years ago coming off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is a personal choice, but to me it's like a seat belt, and I have only been off Boomer once in the 6 years I've had him. In spite of his best efforts to remove me, of which there have been many,  the only time I ever came off him was a freak spook when a cat came in the arena unannounced. And this horse is not especially spooky by nature, so it was definitely an unexpected occurence. I have gotten concussions both riding without a helmet and in a mosh pit - won't repeat either of those episodes if I can help it! However, I'm not a crusader.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Judy F » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:23 pm

IMHO, only an air head can justify riding a horse, bike, or motorcycle
without a helmet.  If you don't have anything up there to protect,
go ahead, ride naked!  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
But, before you do, think about those who love and how they would have
to deal with your death, or possibly worse, you in a vegetative
coma.  ANY horse, no matter how quiet can, on a good day, throw
ANY rider, no matter how good they are.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a rule in my barn... all boarders, all visitors and all professional trainers or riders are required to wear a helmut when riding a horse in my arena, and all minors are to wear a helmut at all times when handling a horse.  This might seem radical but a very good friend of mine was killed when her horse spooked in the stall and kicked her in the head. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I will even have my helmut on my head before I put a bridle on a horse and I tend to pick out the feet after I've finished riding and before I've taken off my helmut. I guess I'm getting more safety conscious now that I'm in my 30s. You are in a more vulnerable position when you are next to their heads when putting on a bridle and/or halter. It only takes one wack from their head to knock you off your feet and rearrange some of the bones in your face (been there, done that) or give you a significant concussion (been there, done that, too).  I've also been knocked over when picking out their feet and then the horse had to jump over me trying to get away from whatever it was that spooked it and proceeded to get kicked in the ankle while he was mid air over me (instinct told me to ball up as I was on my back and so I curled my arms and legs over top of my head and abdomen for protection) and he kicked me so hard it sent my shoe flying into the top of a tree over 100 feet away. Yes, that kinda hurt! And there's nothing more intense to your life and well-being than seeing four steel-shod hooves and one massive belly hanging in mid air right over top of you! Luckily, nothing broke but I was off riding for a month waiting for the bone bruise and tendon/ligament damage to heal. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for showing at the lower levels of dressage I would definitely prefer to ride in a helmut as most of my horses showing at those levels are young and not "reliable" (not that any horse is truly ever 100% reliable) and even on higher level horses I still wear a helmut when schooling at home. When I show, I feel things out first before deciding on a hat. If the horse feels tense and excitable, definitely a helmut, if the horse has settled and seems to be comfortable then I am more likely to consider my bowler or top hat.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always thought the smaller 4-5 inch "top hat" was called a Bowler?  It is acceptable to wear a bowler at all lower levels but it was my understanding that it fits the general style profile to wear a top hat at the upper and FEI levels.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by cadence on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Someone needs to design a helmut type structure that is in the shape of a bowler and top hat.  The basic bowl of the helmut only needs to be like a skullcap and the rest of the hat covered by typical bowler/top hat styling.  I'm sure it can be done and wonder why nobody has done it thus far?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#While I doubt any of those designs would be as protective as a true hard hat, some protection would be afforded and it could still look stylish.  I truly believe that safety needs to become a top priority even in international events. the Grand Prix jumpers would never dream of riding without a helmut so what makes us think we should be any different? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ah but Cadence how many Grandprix jumpers ride with just hunt caps still.  Until Ian feel and clocked his head barely anyone wore a hat with a harness.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And many of those pros school at home without helmets on, including Ian.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm all for helmets.  I used to not wear one on my old bombproof mare - I would jump, gallop, hack, whatever- but with time, I've just become more cautious.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wear my helmet all the time at the barn.  People who have seen Meeka know she is very level-headed but I still wear it.  You just never know.  (I have however gotten on 2-3 times bareback for a walk around the arena without a helmet but then again, last time I did that, I fell off the %*(#@ mounting block#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/15.gif"#ed_cl#)  Seriously, the risk of me falling off may be 1 in a million but I still value my head enough not to take that risk.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it should be about choice to a certain extent.  No matter how much we want to, we can't change some people's ways but that's their own decision and their own risk.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One thing I always think about however is how much all those western riders must laugh at us when we have helmet discussions.  I mean, we walk/trot/canter and preach the use of helmets while they have a sport with an ultimate goal of falling off a nutcase horse (rodeo) and they don't wear a helmet (not traditionally anyway).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Shoal » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:59 am

I always wear a helmet. I feel weird without one.

I fell off once at a show and landed on my face, cracking my helmet. The audience that was watching the warm up thought it was my neck.
I broke my nose and has some major road rash down my chest from skidding along the sand.
After coming back from the hospital covered in blood, I borrowed a friends horse I had never rode, got back on and ended up winning the class!

I can see GP or ST.G, during a show, but while riding at home why take the chance???
Shoal

Postby *rickie* » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:17 am

Lix wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it should be about choice to a certain extent.  No matter how much we want to, we can't change some people's ways but that's their own decision and their own risk.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Very good point Lix. My comment to my BO, who refuses to ride with a helmet, is......why do you make your daughter?? How is her head more of a priority than yours?? What would she do without you??? Or what would your mom say??#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I was at the barn last night riding my horse, and my BO's sister was riding, (she also never wears a helmet) and her mom was there watching, I was SOOO tempted to say something to the mother....but I didn't!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#But I agree....xena, you'll figure it out! When I was your age, and had my little arab, I trusted him with my life, (as did many other people) and I stopped wearing a helmet when I was riding indoors, and not jumping. Needless to say after my big fall off a baby I was training (yes I was wearing a helmet then) I decided that it wasn't worth it. Even though I didn't damage my head in any way shape or form, it was my back, I still decided that it could just have easily have been my head! Now you won't catch me without a helmet, no matter who I'm riding!  :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Do you have a coach xena?? When I wanted a lesson from my coach, her rule was that she wouldn't teach me (or anyone else) unless I put my helmet on! And I even got grief for riding with any of her students, without a helmet, as I was setting a bad example. I look back on that, and as much as I fought it, and complained about that rule, I think that just goes to show that I have a great coach who really does care!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby cadence » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My coach won't start the lesson until the helmut is on your head.  And she's a top level rider!  When I lived in Calgary, my coach was from Germany and used to compete for Germany.  She NEVER went without her helmut. It was a rule in that barn too about wearing helmuts.   She evicted a young rider for refusing to wear a helmut... repeatedly she had asked her to wear a helmut and this girl kept refusing or "forgetting" and finally she was told to find another barn to train at.  Good for her!!  She is very wealthy and perhaps doesn't need the income but it still takes guts because she wants the horse operation to at least break even and pay for itself and you can't evict too many customers and make the business pay for itself.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rickie... you arnt much older than me, if at all?? If your barn owners daughter is not older then 18 then she is making her wear her helmet because its a law. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I was 8 I started doing voltige, and for voltige you generally dont wear helmets... Why though? We did shoulders stands, stood on the horses, did flips off ect... I remember many a time when myself or one of the team mates were flung off into the arena wall.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But like the rodeo riders who dont wear helmets, I dont understand why voltigeurs dont either?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh well, like I said if it happens while im riding Xena, then oh well. It happens, if I land on my head anyways there is a very likely chance I would break my neck anyways. And someone mentioned the fairness to families and friends, would it be fair to my family if I broke my neck to make them look after me all my life? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Riding is a very dangerous sport to begin with. Wearing your helmet only protects you to a certain extent. As does wearing a protective vest.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And yes, my coach does not make me wear my helmet. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Adpaga » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:34 pm

I have only started showing with a top hat this year. It sure looks
great, but feels quite odd. And I confess that I gave into "show
pressure" because i started showing higher level. And then, gave in
again and showed a young horse in top hat once she started scoring
well. BUT, as a coach, I am not sure it is the right thing to do, and I
have a lot of respect for J.J. who showed PSG in her hard hat. I just
wish I had the guts to be smarter.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#