I create the problems in my horse- and a couple of questions

Dressage

Moderator: EC

I create the problems in my horse- and a couple of questions

Postby RioG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:45 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is just one thing that the wonderful world (can you tell I'm a newbie? :D) of dressage has taught me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since I started lessons with a coach I discovered by accident my horse and I have been working consistently and I have come to realize that the majority of her problems come from me and my position in the tack.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've owned this horse for 10 years.  We've shown quite a bit and always we have had trouble when tracking left.  She jigs and jogs and ducks into the centre and twists and cavorts her body in any number of crazy ways while I'm frantically checking the judges position and trying to keep her on the rail (this in QH hunt seat competition).  Lo and behold I tend to twist my inside shoulder!  The MINUTE I straighten it out she straightens out... it's a bloody miracle!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My question is this: I feel that in order to keep her straight (we're working on a 20 metre circle right now) I am exaggerating the "fix".  Is this going to lead to worse problems in the future?  Also, when working on circles I am finding it beneficial to keep my inside hip/stirrup slightly more weighted.  This helps with the bend.   Is this correct?  Or again am I creating more problems?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio is LOVING this work.  Honestly.  She chews and licks and is ready and willing to go.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby jax » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As far as overcorrecting, it may just feel like you are overdoing it, but if the horse is going well then you probably have it right.  I have the worst habit going to the right of dropping my inside shoulder - but I'm working on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And the inside stirrup/seatbone should be slightly more weighted, so no problems there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Isn't it fun finding out that everything is your fault? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl#  Welcome to dressage.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby RioG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Jax...&nbsp; it is quite interesting not being able to blame it all on the horse ;)&nbsp; Yesterday she went beautifull for a while, then took it into her head to come above the bit and just stick her nose out and bee-bop around like a steam train.&nbsp; Whaddya know, my arms had locked up and were tighter than a drum.&nbsp; If I relaxed we were good to go.&nbsp; Now the trouble is going to be learning how to relax. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes I am with Jax most likely you are not over exaggerating it just feels that way.&nbsp; I have had the problem in the past because the position just does not feel right after awhile it will feel better.&nbsp; If you do start to overexagerate it sounds like your horse will let you know.&nbsp; Rio sounds amazingly sensitive to your bady.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby RioG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Zooka, you're right!&nbsp; It would seem she is extremely sensitive... and all this time I thought she was just a pain in the a$$. :D#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Chisholm » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK yes we cause 99% of all problems with our horses.&nbsp; But don't forget horses are the greatest at compsenation for our errors and will develop muscles wrong due to our riding, poor fitting saddle etc....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So it's great you are making this discovery, but now you may also want to look into having a chiro or such come and correct your horse too.&nbsp; Then the corrections you make in your postion will work right.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sound to me like the fact that you feel like you have to exagerate the correction says there is stuff now going on with your horse as well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I just want to strengthen that we riders are what cause the need for corrections with our horses.&nbsp; And some horses are more senstive then others to the changes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Horses like people have a good side and a bad side. And when your riding, if you and your horse have the same bad side (xena and I do) it can make it much more difficult to ride and work properly. When your working you may alway sneed to work more on the bad side because you need to balance the muscle. And yourself. Once you have built up the strength&nbsp;in the muscle and hock you will notice it wont seem as "funny" on that side.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A good excericse is TONS and TONS of transistions, every pace, bettween paces, within paces. Its the best and most successfull excercise. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:16 pm

Chisholm wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So it's great you are making this discovery, but now you may also want to look into having a chiro or such come and correct your horse too.&nbsp; Then the corrections you make in your postion will work right.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've thought of this Chisolm, and do plan on having it looked into.&nbsp;&nbsp; Not only from me, but from her soundness issues I am sure she must have some problem areas.&nbsp; One of the vets is a chiro as well and she did a quick once over and detected some stiffness in her neck but didn't see anything in her back.&nbsp; I would like to have her back out for a more thorough going over.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#After Boomer's recent positive experience with Bowen therapy I will recommend that as a possiblity as opposed to chiro.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby RioG » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think Elizabeth does this, doesn't she?&nbsp; Can you elaborate Ruth?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Ruth » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#RioG, there is a thread about it in General, I gave an update so it's bumped back up on the first page today. Elizabeth goes into some detail about it there, also there is a link to her website which would tell you even more. I don't know a lot about the specifics of how it works, other than I am pleased with the results in my horse, and it is supposed to be very good for anyone who has been in pain, it realigns the body.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:42 pm

Thanks for the mention, Ruth. Actually, I am emailing back and forth with a lady who recently had chiropractic on her horse. Her chiropractor has recommended that she have Bowen for her horse as part of his maintenance program. I am really happy that her chiropractor is familiar with Bowen and that she sees the value of Bowen and chiropractic working hand in hand.

Rio, feel free to PM me after you have checked out my website. www.TouchChanges.com. I am a certified Bowen therapist and I treat both people and horses. Quite a few of my clients have me work on them and their horses so that they are both better balanced. I have lots of emails from clients that detail their progress and I am quite willing to share clips from them or provide you with contact information for references.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Dressage