Transitions

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Transitions

Postby HappilyEverAfter » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey Guys#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been working on trying to get really clean transitions for my dressage tests- they've come along nicely. Downwards are great and the upward canter ones are getting better with every ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only problem- my pony has developed a habit of not moving into the trot when I ask her to. As far as I can tell, I'm not impedeing her in any way and i'm not giving mixed signals.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It generally takes me a squeeze, then a slight spur (like, very very little!!!!!!) sometimes a bump (or a whomp like my old coach likes to call it)! Lately tho, the only thing that will get her moving is if I reach back and smack her butt!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is this a hint? Should I start carrying a whip instead of wearing my spurs? They sure dont seem to be working!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Help!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HappilyEverAfter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Piaffing » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would also carry the whip. When the horse does not move off the leg quick enough a little tap is usually all that is needed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Judy F » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:47 pm

I agree.  Carry your whip and use it to reinforce the leg aids! You don't have to beat her, just a tap should do it.
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

trot transitions

Postby snowpony » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:43 pm

Just make sure your aids are clear & consistent, and back up your leg immediately with the whip.

Are you sure you are not leaning forward into the transition? A common mistake that can come up seemingly out of nowhere! Have someone on the ground watch for anything strange going on...

good luck :)
snowpony
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Patricia » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For me, I find spurs work better.  Make sure when you give the aids for trot that you don't stop riding.  Use your seat and LEG aids...if you must reinforce with a spur once.  It is best to get them forward with the least amount of work otherwise you will begin to nag them.  Don't lurch forward sit up with a following movement.  In the beginning they may need some reminding BUT once they are sharp to the aids things should go more smoothly. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:14 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree spurs get the horse off your leg... But... you said you use spurs and they are not working. It sounds like you may be getting stuck with your leg and your pony is now getting lazy off it. Use the whip too for awhile and get her off your leg. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When you are just riding, within a pace, try and just let your legs hang, like a wet rag, without moving or doing anything at all. You should just be able to tell your horse through seat and little leg aid for your horse to be properly going. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its very hard to explain, its so easy now for me to signal my horse. But she is a very forward horse. Pretty much opposit yours. I can just think trot or canter and she goes. I use a whip with her when schooling all the time and in warm up. She doesnt need it for going faster, but I use it to helop shorten her body and get more collected. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would have your coach get on and try it. Your coach should be able to tell you if its you or a lazy pony. If the pony won't trot or is having problems regarding movement, I would look to something physical. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But lots of people carry dressage whips. I like to say, 'ask, tell, demand.' I ask the horse nicely off my seat and legs, and then ask harder with the same aids, and I demand it with an artificial aid. I personally wear spurs. I use them very seldom, but they're attached to my boots, nonethless, so when I need them they are there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby AWSgurl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes I agree with the rest try using a whip, ask her first and if there is no response use the whip right behind your leg, also make sure your hips are open and you are also using your seat when asking for the transition.....Good Luck and keep us posted.....:)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Coloured Horses for Sport
AWSgurl

Postby HappilyEverAfter » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for your help guys!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont get to ride very often, once a week, twice max, during the school year so we dont get a whole lot done :( However, I should be riding on Friday so I'll check and see if I'm leaning forward. I dont think I am because my experienced friends (I dont have a regular coach - but one of my friends is an FEI Jr!!) have been grilling me on my position.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Its literally improved ten fold.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that perhaps Beauty is just not respecting my leg anymore.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like someone already said about themselves, I wear spurs, but they're just there. I try not to use them a whole lot. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I carried a whip a couple weeks ago and BOY was Beauty ... energized? Haha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Heres another question:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I cluck, kiss or make other kinds of sounds, Beauty pins her ears?!?! I'm stumped because I'm not sure why she would do this!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We've figured out that its the sound of our hollow jump poles that freaks her out, so I was thinking she just might have some kind of issue with sounds...but I ride with the radio going all the time and that doesnt bother her?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any insight?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#[Sorry my pony is a weirdo! haha]#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HappilyEverAfter
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well years a group of my friends were riding with me at a dressage show.  It was one of my first shows ever.  We were all nervous and excited.  The horse you would have expected to win scored the worst.  My horse actually won the division and he was NOT your typical dressage horse.  #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#My friend had a hanoverian...although, she allowed her horse to be strung out and on the forehand shuffling along.  She wore huge spurs and carried a very long whip.  The comment the judge put on her test was..."You carry a whip and wear spurs USE THEM".  She was almost embarassed to share her test comments.  Myself, I rode a Saddlebred.  He was foreward, energetic and supple.  He had a few moments when he would go above the bit but on the whole he presented very well.  I was so happy...!  So with that in mind, I always ride forward...don't be afraid to use you spurs periodically....BUT not every stride or they will stop listening to your aids.  Don't nag with your leg constantly...Ask once and if there is no reaction ask again and reinforce with spur and whip.  In time the horse will become sharper to the aids.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Dressage