Bouncy trot

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Bouncy trot

Postby Leena » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Somebody could just give me some hope here....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just start training my mare, 5 yo, swiss warmblood, after one year off for pregnancy. It has been 2 weeks now and she is doing great.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But she has one of those trot that just push me out of the saddle; I had 2 excellent riders tried her and both told me trot was very hard. Canter is very confortable, walk is fine but the trot !!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is very forward and have a short back; maybe this explain how bouncy it is. It comes to a point I question my ability to sit this trot and do dressage; maybe she will be better as a jumper ???#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can anyone share experience with this ?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Regards,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At her age, I wouldn't worry too much yet about sitting trot.  The trot is actually the easiest gait to improve, so once she gets fitter and more balanced it will probably get easier.  I know when I first got my horse there was no way to sit to her trot, but now when we both get all warmed up, it's quite nice.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would do lots of ground work on the lunge.&nbsp; Getting her going round and forward and using herself with side reins.&nbsp; Ride her after that.&nbsp; She is like starting over after her foal.&nbsp; Once she gets more established in self-carriage her trot should be easier to sit.&nbsp; Do lots of transition causing her to rock back on her hind quarters.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Although, it is still TOO early to be sitting if she is just starting back in work.&nbsp; I always thought short back/short coupled was easier than long backed.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Jax...Thanks for hopes !!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia, actually my program is 30 minutes lunging period 4 times a week with side reins not too tight. I start with long period of walk then transitions, changes of leads, then very short period of canter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I ride her 2 times a week so far and I am not sitting at all !!! Posting trot is enough !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am starting some lateral work, but very lightly. She is a fantastic mare, responding very well so far, a true and natural athlete.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, thanks for hope so I should expect improvement over the next months ! I am going to get a trainer by end of november to help me out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:26 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp; I would just make sure that when you do ride it is after a lunge session.&nbsp; It is like an athlete out of work...she will gradually come back.&nbsp; Sounds like you are on the right track with regular and consistent work.&nbsp; She sounds lovely!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Chisholm » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When the trot gets "connected"&nbsp; meaning back to front movement happens.&nbsp; Then the horse will carry the rider more.&nbsp; Because you have more of a forward movement due to engagement of the hindquarters.&nbsp;And the movement&nbsp;becomes smoother.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What ever you do don't prevent the forward movement in this trot, your horses probably has a great trot.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;I know there is a much better way to write this, but this is how it came out today.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And this is exactly what I don't want: slowling the trot. Last week, I change my way of setting the side reins and I change her bit to a rubber D-Bit. I fix the side reins on top of the surcincle so she can feel her bit with reins tension.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In fact I wanted to reproduce the reins rider tension. Then I lunge her on a forward movement and it is working like a charm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She was a lot better on saddle after maybe 2 or 3 sessions. Her trot was a lot better too, more regular, steady. I don't care if she push me out of the saddle; at this point I&nbsp;am looking for regular, forward and steady movement.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was just getting freak out about that trot; sometimes I should not project too much in advance....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well, welcome to the world of warmbloods hehe. They will always have a much larger trot then a smaller horse would have and many consider it boucy. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is young and out of shape. Once she strengthens her back and hocks you will notice she will become stronger and steadier which will make it easier for you to site. Right now I would avoid doing any sitting trot until the is more balanced. Lunging with side reins is great for the first&nbsp;few weeks to start off the muscle building process without being thrown off with a riders weight. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#After she is built up more, and you will see a huge difference and otice her back and hindquarters round up. Once she is built up you can then start practicing sitting trot and it is alway sharder to adjust at first so dont worry. You will eventually get the hang of it and learn to move with your horse. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#THANKS for hope !!!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#guess it has been said already but I will just sum up do not give up hope it will get better once she is in good shape and working over her back properly.&nbsp; As mentioned do not slow her down just to sit... just stick through it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Zooka, I totally agree with you ! She is on her way back to shape and frankly she is doing well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But as I have said, I have a program but maybe that trot scare my bones out a bit too much. Posters good words help me to understand.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you !!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby pawsnhooves » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bouncy trot...I know how that feels...try riding a Friesian!!!!&nbsp; Sometimes it helps to know that no matter how bouncy your horse is, there is always someone out there flopping around on top of a Friesian, bounce,&nbsp;&nbsp;bounce, bounce.&nbsp; I won't give up hope if you don't.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.-Mahatma Gandhi
pawsnhooves
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Friesians are bouncy???&nbsp; They look so smooth!!!&nbsp; I had no idea.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby pawsnhooves » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well Zooka, I can't speak for them all, but certainly our three are.&nbsp; If we ever convince you to come back to visit, I'll let you experience the butt bruising ride for yourself, just for the delightful experience of it.&nbsp; It is such a hoot to watch my niece ride the seated trot without stirrups as she bounces all over the place, you'll have to see that as well!&nbsp; Come to see us soon...bouncy Friesians await you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.-Mahatma Gandhi
pawsnhooves
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I rode a canadian before... theres another butt bruiser... At least she was anyways haha. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Leena » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena, I have 2 Canadians at home; the mare is gaited and she has the most smooth trot ever felt in my hole life.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Her son is too young to be ridden so I don't know. I thought Friesian were smooth too !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really need to take the proper time to have both my mare and I in good shape so eventually sitting the trot will be ok.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thing really amazing is when I put my leg on Leena, she goes on extended trot without speeding up which makes the trot even more bouncy !#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She is not supposed to know this...she is green !!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#another week or 2 pawsnhooves and I will be up there it is in the begining stages of planning....&nbsp; originally I was thinking this weekend but Adpaga is out of town....&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Friesians were originally bred as a light draft/carriage horse so I'm not surprised they'd be bouncy. Harness horses are not bred for smooth gaits. I always figured Park horses would be bouncy, but when I rode a Morgan Park horse I was amazed by how easy he was to sit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby pawsnhooves » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena, I think getting into shape for both rider and horse is imperative to the seated trot, although I think my Friesian buddies revel in their bounciness.&nbsp; I love that your horse tries the extended trot, they know it all, I think we just have to find it, nurture it and teach them how to use it properly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Zooka, looking forward to seeing you and getting you up on one of our butt busters.&nbsp; Adpaga rides Vixen Thursday so perhaps she'll have worked the bounciness out of her by then.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for Friesian origins, they were originally farm horses.&nbsp; The Romans chronicled them in writings as "ugly", a comment which my guys are highly insulted by.&nbsp; Their next job was as mounts for Friesian and German knights.&nbsp; Maybe carrying around all that armour is why they got so bouncy.&nbsp; Maybe I should buy a suit of armour...it could ease my pain in the butt.&nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif"#ed_cl# Finally they became desired by nobles as flashy carriage horses...I guess they weren't considered ugly by then.&nbsp; Regardless, my 3 are bouncy but I keep working at it.&nbsp; Their attitudes and kind hearts make it all worth while...and I always have my gaited Rocky Mountain horses to ride if I need a break...smooth as silk.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
pawsnhooves
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Adpaga » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:06 pm

just adding my two cents...#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Pawsnhooves friesians are not bouncy, but lofty in their gaits, with
lots of suspension time, be it in the trot or canter. And they have one
of the "sexiest" walks I've seen, really rolling their hips to give a
hudge overtrack.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
As for hard/boucy to sit horses, I have experienced only two kinds: #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
- the lofty ones, who have a big suspension time in the trot and
canter, and a naturally slower cadence,&nbsp; that you can learn and
then get hooked on to sit because of the swing they make you get
through your haunches, riding such horses is like dancing salsa with a
real salsa dancer... #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
-the hard ones, who initially lack suppleness in their gaits and
"bounce/pounce" down on the ground with their big strides, thus sending
real shock waves though your pelvis and spine. I met a few warmbloods
that had those gaits,&nbsp; and even though they looked impressive
everyone is sorry for the rider, but those horses could work out of it
when they got fitter and discovered cadence and self carriage, and then
they became waoo horses.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#