Bouncy trot

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Postby Leena » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Adpaga, this is a very nice explanation and while I was reading your post, I have tried to figure out in which category my mare fits in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think she has a lot of suspension in the trot and canter; her balance is not there yet so I lunge with side reins that I fix  near the top of the surcincle. I rode her on tuesday and she is getting along nicely.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is better and better each ride. I am not sitting yer but I figure I don't have to rush; just makes her in good shape and then it will happen.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby pawsnhooves » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Adpaga, you could make a raging bull appear smooth!  In all seriousness, after seeing you ride the Friesians, I agree...it is a lofty (but bouncy to anyone who does not ride as well as you) trot.  I will go to the barn and tell Vixen that she is not bouncy but lofty...I think she'll appreciate the distinction.  Some day I'll learn to appreciate her as "lofty", until then, she is bouncy as Hell.  Once again, you did my horse proud in riding her today, and I am as always, amazed and grateful. And...just wait until you ride Valiant, we'll see who is "lofty"....I'll supply the ice for your butt and the glass of wine afterward to make you forget the pain.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.-Mahatma Gandhi
pawsnhooves
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Adpaga » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:49 pm

that's fine with me, I'll supply the wine, anyway I ow you for letting me enjoy Bess! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Why are we torturing ourselves with lofty/bouncy horses when God created the Rocky Mountain and the Paso Finos. I wonder.... #ed_op#img style="cursor: pointer;" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/cliparts/3.gif');" onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="richedit/cliparts/3.gif" align="middle"#ed_cl#
Remember: happiness is a way of travel, not a destination
Adpaga
Groupie
Groupie

Postby cadence » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Totally agree with Agpaga.  Warmbloods usually have big, powerful upward/forward movement. They can literally push you right out of the saddle. When they're young like your youngster, they don't know how to really work with it... thus you have to be far more forgiving in your seat (strong abdominal core, flexible hip/spine) with a youngster than with a balanced, supple, physically strong older horse.  So, lots of rising trot, transitions, transitions, transitions - remember, transitions include half-halts, transitions within a gait to achieve slower longer strides, small lengthenings, etc., big circles, maybe some spirals inwards/outwards on the circle if she seems able to cope, serpentines, leg yielding and other suppling exercises to teach her how to use her body.  With practice, experience, suppleness, balance and maturity she will become floaty and elegant and a "wow" horse.  Don't push for too much lengthenings at this stage.  She's still too young and her body is still growing.  She'll grow for another 2 or so years and her gaits will change as she grows and she will still have periods where she might become clutsy during a growth spurt.  Just keep a light contact, maintain forwardness without rushiness and work hard at keeping your own balance and correct seat.  All else will come along.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Order of achievement: #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1.  Relaxation#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2.  Rhythm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3.  Contact.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#4.  Impulsion.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#5.  Straightness.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#6.  Collection (via throughness).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Rio Roulette » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#"Bouncy" to me means big movement on a horse who has given you a place to sit. There is an art to sitting these horses and it is a dance. A wise person once pointed out to me that the key to sitting these guys is to focus on the "down" as well as the "up". Too often we only focus on the "up". Then when the horse goes down, we're still up. When the horse comes back up, we're on the way down..... :) ouch. Gotta focus on the down, as the horse will look after the up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Choppy is that pounding trot, horse on the forehand and unwilling/unable to give you a place to sit. These horses are not easy to sit the trot, for sure. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Leena » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey, Thanks a lot people !!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been working her so far through relaxation in the walk, in the trot. She is responding really well but I am not sitting yet. She is not regular in the gaits yet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your comments help me to understand what is going on and really to give her the space to move.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I ride her 2 times a week and lunge her 3-4 times; this help her to muscle enough, to get balanced through transitions.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Faulmer » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:01 pm

pawsnhooves wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well Zooka, I can't speak for them all, but certainly our three are.  If we ever convince you to come back to visit, I'll let you experience the butt bruising ride for yourself, just for the delightful experience of it.  It is such a hoot to watch my niece ride the seated trot without stirrups as she bounces all over the place, you'll have to see that as well!  Come to see us soon...bouncy Friesians await you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#AUNTIE!!!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I love how you are making good jokes about my no stirrup sitting trot HA HA HA i cant help my self and laugh it soo much fun HA HA HA#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Faulmer ( holly)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Faulmer
Newbies
Newbies

Postby ILoveBismarck » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am so glad you posted this, I was gonna ask the same thing. My big boy has the toughest trot to sit as well !!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tina, proud owner of Bismarck !
ILoveBismarck
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Leena » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I had my first coaching session 2 weeks ago and my coach said my mare does all the work with her legs and has a stiff back. Also, she had to extend her gaits and be much forward.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We did then work her forward, on the bit and since, I have been longing her with a little push to extend her gaits without acceleration. When I ride I push in the trot to extend the gaits. It is much better.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can sit her trot right now but as soon as she loose balance, she retain her back, and bouncy trot is back. This is a good indicator for me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do a lot of transitions on the longe and riding too. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She was behind the bit too: vet just did her teeth on friday and BO told me how long was some. I figure this will help a lot. I'll see this tomorrow.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby zooka » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#it is good that you have someone on the ground to help you out!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Leena » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Zooka, you are right ! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Someone on the ground can tell a lot and as I told my coach, I was doing things but I was not sure how effective it was. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to Dressage