How Many Ride Shoulder-Fore....

Dressage

Moderator: EC

How Many Ride Shoulder-Fore....

Postby Patricia » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#During one of our lessons our coach suggested riding shoulder fore.  I remember from years ago my coach called it riding in position...now it has a name.  I find not enough rider use this position as a tool to help their horse.  I found when riding this particular horse shoulder fore everything came together.  He stayed round and in the bend and engaged behind.  I never hear anyone talk about this and yet it can help a horse and rider combo SO much.  Anyone else ride shoulder-fore?  How long, how often....what do you get out of it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a back issue of Dressage Today that document shoulder-fore with pictures.  Going to read it and store that in my memory banks.  This what happens when you don't have lesson in 10 years + and starting a new horse in the basics AGAIN.  I got the opportunity to hop on a schoolmaster.  I may of rode for 10 or 15 minutes but it seemed like an hour.  It was a joy to just sit and ask the movement and float across the arena in half-pass.  My sitting trot was effortless--round and through....AHHHH!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here I sit waiting to hear if they have a stall for the winter.  At home no place to ride with mud and all.  Horse had a much deserved holiday after the show season and itching to get back at it.  I am inspired again...Our plan is to show level 1 and my son training.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#good luck patricia. I hope you get in at a stall where you want! I know how difficult it can be to have to work outside... which is what im doing this winter lol. As long as its not icy you can still get substantial work done...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I cant wait for my issue of Dressage Today! I just ordered it a month or so ago... so I am supposed to get an issue in November. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shoulder Fore or Postion in is such a great tool.  The funny thing is that I forgot to us it with my guy.  And I was having a small problem on the right rein.  And suddenly I remembered shoulder fore and wa la the problem was fixed.  But try explaining it to someone that has no clue what it is they have no understanding what it is you want them to do.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad you had such a good ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I ride shoulder fore, especially on left lead. This is for me the first step before shoulder in and it help to get the horse more supple.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You are right Patricia, there is not much discussion regarding the benefit of this way of riding. Right now my mare has shown a stiff left side and my coach has put more emphasis on riding her shoulder fore.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby RioG » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay... now would anyone be kind enough to provide a definition of the term?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia, congratulations on finding a coach that you "click" with.  I know where her farm is located (my old stomping grounds, sort of) and it is a gorgoeous spot.  I love the hills and valleys.  I've also found someone I "click" with and am simply over the moon after each lesson.  It's been a long time in coming for me (finding a coach, I mean).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby RioG » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay... now would anyone be kind enough to provide a definition of the term?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Patricia, congratulations on finding a coach that you "click" with.  I know where her farm is located (my old stomping grounds, sort of) and it is a gorgoeous spot.  I love the hills and valleys.  I've also found someone I "click" with and am simply over the moon after each lesson.  It's been a long time in coming for me (finding a coach, I mean).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
RioG
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Leena » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#RioG, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In french we say Épaule devant. Shoulder fore is half way to shoulder in, where you keep a steady contact on both reins but turning the shoulder a bit to the inside so your horse is slightly flex.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope this help,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use shoulder fore frequently.  It helps to straighten a horse.  A horse that tends to drift his haunches to the inside upon a canter transition is best helped with a shoulder fore position because he has to stay straighter.  Glad you found a coach you work well with!  :)  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Piaffing » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use shoulder fore all the time. Think of it as not allowing the horse to glue the outside shoulder to the wall with their butt to the inside.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby My_horse_is_fat » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yup.. I use it quite a bit for my big guy. He like to fall out throught the shoulders on corners, so this helps tremendously. Its a wonderful tool for straightening a horse...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cheers#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#FatHorse#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
My_horse_is_fat
Groupie
Groupie

Postby LucasL » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use this all the time - aside from straightening your horse, it is absolutely the best way to learn how to stop hanging on your horse's mouth and to really ride inside leg to outside rein. Same as Cadence, I always go into slight shoulder fore before asking for canter - it improves the upward transition greatly!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Right now my coach has me working on a lot of transitions between lateral movements ie haunches in to shoulder in to haunches out. I find that this is really helping me to coordinate my own aids as well as to supple my horse. I also rode in a clinic recently where he had me ride walk trot transitions while in shoulder in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would hope that most coaches would be aware of this, and would be teaching it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
LucasL
Groupie
Groupie

Postby zooka » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#shoulder - fore is ingrained into me as well....  A few years back i had a few clinics with a german man and he emphasised shoulder -fore because my horse was swinging his butt in as an evasion for some of our work.  SO now when I do think of it I use it, it is a great thing!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *rickie* » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I use it as well!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Although, when it was explained to me, it was phrased as "essence of leg yeild" sounds REALLY dumb, but when you haven't yet gotten to leaning "shoulder-in" having someone tell you, ride as though you are about to leg yeild at any moment in time, really make sit easier for you to understand. Same concept, just different way of explaining it.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I love it, helps soo much!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use it too, more often perhaps in the past in trot to engage the inside hind, but now that my horse is straighter inn trot I use it more in canter, he still likes to throw his shoulder out and haunches in somewhat, particularly to the left.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Dressage