Freestyle

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Freestyle

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmm im pretty new to the 'real' dressage..i've only done mostly schooling shows and was going to be in a LDA show but pulled out because i wasn't pre-paired enough. Anyway, i belive that Freestyle is with the music and such but how do the judges look at more 'modern' music when used? I know if you do it well you should get #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#some #ed_op#/EM#ed_cl#credit for it, but are they frowned apon?? Kinda.. lol sorry im not very good about asking what i don't know about#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Judy F » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:22 pm

The most important thing is to have music that matches your horses
paces at walk, trot, & canter.  Music without lyrics is
preferred but not necessary (most people don't sing with a even enough
rhythm).  There is a very high mark for 'suitablity of music.'#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Otherwise, you can use anything that works.  Just remember, the
music must fit the horse's paces, not the rider's tastes.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Piaffing » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Judy has it correct. The best type of music has a good beat with base and drums. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can definately use modern music! All you need is it to be converted to music with no lyrics. If you look at Anky and Isabell Werths Kur they usually only have more modern music... Anky has Pink Floyd in some of her freestyles... and I cant remember some of the others... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There was a cute little black pony at my barn's schooling show (Petty Pony you were there, but I don't know if you stayed that long, it was the last class I think), that did a routine to "Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast. I thought they did an excellent job, although I don't know what marks they got. The music changed tempo several times through the song, and it really matched the transitions between trot, canter, free walk, etc. It really suited the pony's paces. It must be quite an art to mix the music for a freestyle test. I think there are people who specialize in it, so you can pay someone to create a CD for you if you want. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Freestyle looks like so much FUN. Have fun creating your routine for next year's show season... I look forward to seeing it! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Trufflemaker on Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby *rickie* » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#You sure can use modern music!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I find that the audience enjoys the freestyle better when they can "recognise" the music (not necessarily sing along to it, or now exactly where it's from, but that it sounds familiar to them) This makes it easier for them to relate to the freestyle.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#As for music, pick something that suits your horse, it's not always easy to find something that suits, but when you do, you'll know it! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I've designed and mixed music for about 6 freestyles, and they have all turned out really well. For my horses each year I believe it took me a good 2-3 months (if not more) to find the *perfect* music for them. It's not an easy task at all, but really pays off in the end.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Best of luck designing one of your own, it's soo rewarding, and fun!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby ~Nikita~ » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:38 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#40a0ff#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#I love love LOVE freestyles. When I was showing Nikita, I took her in a freestyle both years and we used swing music. It was awesome, it fitted her SO well, she's a heavy horse but light on her feet. We received a lot of good comments on the music choice, and I was the only one with swing music! hehe! Also, *rickie* one year used music from the Little Mermaid. It was so neat!#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#40a0ff#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#40a0ff#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#I agree with everyone though, pick what suites your horse's movement. When put togethter right, it looks amazing!#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~*Give a horse what he needs and he will give you his heart in return*~
~Nikita~

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I found a webpage awhile ago that had alot of good info and song suggestions. It gave song suggestions for each type of tempo ect that would match a variety... I will try and find the webpage. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#found it! #ed_op#A href="http://www.equimusic.com/"#ed_cl#http://www.equimusic.com/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#trufflemaker..which barn was it??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:44 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's an interesting site, thanks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pretty Pony are you in the Ottawa area?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trufflemaker is in the Ottawa area.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Leena » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena, very interesting site. When I want to design my freestyle, I start by creating the choregraphy and then I count all the second. Then I shop some good movies music and I match it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The more important thing is a music that match with my soul because when I am in the ring, I feel the music, I enjoy riding on it and this makes all the difference. The last I did was on a music of Michel Legrand who is a great french jazz and blues men.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When the choreography is right, its awesome to watch! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ya its nothing too fancy, I think it gives some good ideaas to people who are interested in getting more info or who are just starting out... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Pony Hunter » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:03 pm

Trufflemaker wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There was a cute little black pony at my barn's schooling show (Petty Pony you were there, but I don't know if you stayed that long, it was the last class I think)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I think you have me confused with PP72.But my friend and I might be doing a freestyle next season. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Oh and TM are you going to the OADG awards banquet next weekend? Last night someone called  my house saying that I won a award for the Walk/Trot equitation so I'll probably be going.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pony Hunter

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes Pony Hunter it was you I was thinking of in my prior post. Brain fart. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No I am not an OADG member (yet) so I am not going to the banquet. Congratulations on your good news though! Well done! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby zooka » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree any music can be used as long as it suits the gaits of your horse.  There is some really cute freestyles out there now!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby graciespook » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I saw a neat one to some Disney music a few years ago! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I saw an FEI Pony freestyle this summer that used a Muzak version of "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" . I really didn't quite know what to think about that! I usually use Preservation Hall Jazz, which is swingy New Orleans jazz. I would love to do a freestyle to Ozzy, love the beginning of Crazy Train. However it's a lot of work finding 3 different beats with a theme. I do have something in mind for a Van Halen freestyle, someday when I have time I may sit down and see if it would work.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to Dressage