Keeping Hands Quiet

Dressage

Moderator: EC

Keeping Hands Quiet

Postby horsecrazy333 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok.  So for an hour last night I got my butt ragged on for moving my hands and arms too much.  Trouble is I can't feel or see it and we have no mirrors.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can anyone suggest any techniques or exercises that can help me!.  I'm finally figuring out riding out of my seat and keeping my legs back and down.  All that noise has now moved up to my hands the used to be super quiet.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy333

Postby draftdriver » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:14 am

Tie a length of baling twine to thte front D rings, so you have a loop long enough to hook your pinkie fingers through when your hands are in the 'neutral' position. You will then feel how much your hands move up and down as you ride. Of course, you can't keep your pinkies there for a whole lesson, because you will need to adjust forward and back, etc., depending on what you're doing. But for just a simple steadiness check when you don't have mirrors for feedback, this should work.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jax » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try thinking that you are carrying a tray of coffee, and you don't want to spill.  This will keep your hands out in front of you (hopefully with thumbs up) and hopefully steady your hands.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You said it is both your hands and arms that are moving too much, but without seeing you I'm just guessing here, but are you trying to "follow" the movement of the horse too much with your hands?  Are your elbows and lower arms moving in and out?  If so, try keeping your elbows comfortably at your sides, and trying to absorb the movement with your wrists and fingers only.  Just don't lock your shoulders or elbows because then that starts a whole 'nother thing for you to get yelled at #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/5.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Patricia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Maybe your tensing up and resisting the movement.&nbsp; Especially now that you say your corrected below the waist....(Hmmm that doesn't sound nice...LOL!&nbsp; Although, I think you know what I mean.)&nbsp; I always think sternum up, elbows glued to my side to stabilize&nbsp; and carry my hands above the wither to allow for that straight line from elbow to bit ring.&nbsp; You also said your in a new saddle I remember...so the whole feel may be different now.&nbsp; You want you hands to be independent from your body but try stabilizing your arms by pressing them to your side.&nbsp; It will come in time.&nbsp; When your horse is finally round after the warm up...try some sitting trot...only sit for as long as it is steady...when you FEEL like it isn't right go back to rising.&nbsp; It will come in time.&nbsp; In Corey's lessons his big thing is losing the connection and letting the reins slide through his fingers and the horse is on the forehand or behind the vertical.&nbsp; So he has to develop a FEEL as to what is correct.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:20 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like the binder twine idea. Think about the bit being connected to your elbows, and close your eyes to feel how much your hands are moving. Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't believe how much I'm off balance, or doing this or that. It helps quite a bit. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Leena » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All the suggestions are good !!!! I keep imagine me with the coffee all over the place !!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have the same problem; I don't want to hurt Leena's mouth, follow the movement and I found hands are moving because I am off balance in my seat, creating off balance of Leena, then she either retains or speed up....My hands get then near me and welcome tension.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So...If I focus on my seat, following her from then, my hands are quiet. My best advise is then to focus on your seat, following your horse from then and just halt when you feel off balance. Maybe you will do one circle the first time and until you are strong enough to balance yourself.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The other way is to master half halts while keeping your upper body relax and focus.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hope this help and good luck !!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leena#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Leena
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby mallard » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do your hands move while sitting AND rising trot?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Do they move up &amp; down?&nbsp; Or forwards &amp; back?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The idea of carrying a tray of full coffee cups is a good idea...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The baler twine idea is excellent...or get yourself a bucking strap. Looks nicer and you can show with one of them. I have one on both my saddles. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry Patricia, but I do not really like "pressing your arms to your side"..."elbows glued to my sides"&nbsp;....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The elbows &amp; arms need to relax &amp; be independent of your body.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#These ideas will NOT help you relax!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You need to feel your elbows opening &amp; closing. It is NOT easy...I struggled with it for a long time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is what helped me...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Try this...sit right there, on the edge of your chair, with your hands resting on the desk, as if they were holding the reins. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, keeping your hands in place, s-l-o-w-l-y rise up out of your chair as if you were rising to the trot. Watch your forearms &amp; elbows....When you rise up out of the chair (or saddle!) your elbow joints open. When you sit, they close back up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Of course,&nbsp;keeping this feeling is not easy on a moving horse! So, hook your pinkies under the strap/baler twine, and concentrate on your elbows/forearms. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Get someone to longe you so you don't have to worry about the steering.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have a little mantra that&nbsp;you repeat ...'up' 'up' 'up' ...each time you sit in the saddle.&nbsp;Or 'down' 'down' 'down' ...each time you rise. Say it out loud if necessary!&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#At first it may feel as if your arms are moving way too much, but, soon it will come naturally.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

The best success is usually the one you risk the most to achieve
mallard

Postby horsecrazy333 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks so much everyone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Mallard, apparently I throw my outside hand forward at the trot and open my elbow too much.&nbsp; At the canter my inside hand apparently bounced up and down while my outside shoulder goes forward and back.&nbsp; I know I'm completely mucked up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going to try the bailer twine and coffee tray thing.&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy333

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HC333, it doesn't sound so much as though your hands are the problem.&nbsp; It sounds, more like, that you are twisting your upper body which is affecting your hand position.&nbsp; Is your horse hard to steer?&nbsp; It sounds as though you are using your upper body to steer her...which is correct BUT you want your hands to stay separate from&nbsp;what your torso is doing&nbsp;(ie. your elbows should stay at your side and you turn your torso so that you are steering with your seat/thighs).&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I find that whenever I'm dealing with "position" problems, going back to the lunge-line is really beneficial.&nbsp; It's a lot easier working on your position problems when you don't have to worry about controlling the horse's speed and/or direction.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What I would do is ask your instructor to put you on the lunge and then do a lot of work with no reins, to improve your seat and get it really solid in the saddle.&nbsp; Ride with your arms out to the sides or concentrate on keeping your elbows bent and at your sides and your thumbs up.&nbsp; I will bet that, when you don't have to steer, your upper body will become a lot more stable and you will find that your arms aren't going all over the place either.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thing I did when I was having hand/arm problems was to ride with rainbow reins.&nbsp; I'd get my hands set in the correct position, and then every so often, I'd look down, to make sure that the reins hadn't slipped through my fingers, and that each rein was still the same length (one wasn't shorter or longer than the other, which would indicate whether I was twisting in the saddle or not).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Riding is so much a "feel" thing, and it can take a really long time to achieve the correct "feel".&nbsp; Keep working with your instructor, who should keep correcting you until you get it right.&nbsp; My coach (at the time)&nbsp;was constantly reminding me to&nbsp;bend my elbows and get my hands up.&nbsp; After awhile, she didn't need to remind me as much anymore, as it became natural to hold them that way.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby danseurhorse » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:07 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hi horsecrazy#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bouncing hands come from arms not being independent of the rest of you.&nbsp; What I do with my students that have this problem is to teach them how to have independent hands on the longe line.&nbsp; Their reins are taken away and I give them exercises to do at trot - rising and sitting - and canter.&nbsp; Arms up and held to the side, big circles, twisting at the waist left and right while doing those exercises, twisting and tapping the horses butt, pressing the backs of your hands to the small of your back, etc. etc.&nbsp; I had never found ANY success with the bucking straps, they only made the rider more dependent on them.&nbsp; Once you discover that your arms can do something entirely different from the rest of you will your hands become quiet.&nbsp; This is a common problem for many riders, not just you.&nbsp; The next problem most people have is not being able to ride a medium or extended trot without bouncing out of the saddle like a basketball.&nbsp; But that's a whole other set of exercises . . .&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl# Good luck!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
danseurhorse
Newbies
Newbies

Postby horsecrazy333 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I forgot about the lunge line.&nbsp; Perhaps that's on purpose.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think I might try to get a private in on one!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the reminder.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
horsecrazy333

Postby Faulmer » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#AWW no I do the same thing only i do it with my legs i like to describe it as if I was riding one of those gazelle elipticale(spelling who knows) excersise things it makes me laugh ! but i keep workin at it #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Faulmer#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Faulmer
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:39 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol an old coach that I had made me do the binder twine thing. It doesnt work... It makes you think too much about your hands because they are in so much pain.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like Chenders said, it does not sound like an issue with your hands. Its with your whole position. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You need to remember that we ride inside leg/seat to outside rein, so really your outside hand should be BACK and not forward. Your inside hand half halts accordingly and then should be the one pushed forward getting the horse to balance and carry themselves. In the beginning you will most likely have to half halt quite a bit once the horse has the right bend you slowly give with the inside... but you need to keep riding the same with your body. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your outside hand is coming forward and your shoulder is, this will make your whole body position follow through this and your horse will be going on the forehand and not correct. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your elbows should neither be presed against your side or flapping around, you should be able to have your arms just as relaed and natural as when your horse is at a halt. And no slouching, if you think about keeping your ribcage up your arms will fall naturally to the right place beside your body. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Patricia » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Xena...some of what you say is correct...BUT if you must you a rein for half halt it is not the inside.&nbsp; You give and take to soften and get bend with the inside.&nbsp; The outside rein is the one for the half halt as that is your contact rein.&nbsp; I&nbsp; like to used less rein and just sit up in the saddle...or sit deeper if you will a stride and the horse comes back to me.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Piaffing » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you can get some lunge lessons. This way you can concentrat on what the rest ofyour body is doing not just your hands. Any unwanted movement in the hands means that you are gripping with your thighs or tensing your back and shoulders. Allow your body to move and be flexable with the horse, then your hands will become quieter.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Frogs in a basket. Oh, one jumped out, grab that frog.
EC Level 1 Coach, ARIA Level 3 Dressage Coach, C Level Pony Club Tester
http://piaffing.blogspot.com/
www.dressagelife.com
Piaffing
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Trufflemaker » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In addition to the suggestions above, why not get someone to videotape you riding, then watch it so you can see yourself? Run the tape&nbsp;in slow motion too so you can really see what you are doing. Having visual "evidence" of it will help you feel it when you're riding. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby *rickie* » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Ahh....*sigh* a topic in which I love! :)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Many people ask me about how to keep their hands nice and quiet, and each and every time I tell them the excerise, they always look at me weird....but I swear by it! It's really works, and you don't even have to be on a horse to do it...so I again, I will put myself out there with my wonderful exercise to be laughed at, and looked at with the look of "what?? are you crazy??"&nbsp; I'll also just mention that now is very close to the perfect time for this exercise....when it's colder...the absolute best time is in the winter when there's lots of snow....but a little chilly will do just fine! (I'm sure you're just dieing to know what this exercise is....and I'm sure the look of "what??" is starting to apear on your face right now! hahaha#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#So the exercise:#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#Take 2 cups (not mugs, be sure they have no handles) and fill them to the very very top with cold water. Now go outside, in an open area (a drive way will do just fine). Now hold those 2 cups of cold water, one in each hand, and start running around in a circle....doesn't have to be too fast, even a jog will do just fine. Key thing.......NO GLOVES ON!!! You'll start spilling water all over your hands,&nbsp;b/c you're moving your hands around. So eventually your hands are going&nbsp;to be pretty darn cold! Keep going. Try to keep your hands steady so that they water doesn't spill&nbsp;on you. You want to absorb the&nbsp;motion from running through you back, and arms. Eventually you'll figure out which muscles&nbsp;to use so that&nbsp;you keep your hands steady, and then you won't spill any water. Now, ride your horse.....you'll see that your hands are steadier.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#The best time and place for this exercise is when there's at least 2 feet of snow, b/c then you run through the snow, without gloves on. This makes you have to step higher, and makes you bounce more, which leads to you having to absorb more&nbsp;of the shock from running.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#I know, you all probably have the typical look on your faces, but TRUST ME! it&nbsp;REALLY REALLY works! You just have to learn which muscles to&nbsp;tense and which ones to relax, in order to&nbsp;*get it*, and this exercise does that. It makes your hands work independently from&nbsp;the rest of you....which is what you want on your horse.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl#So....everyone with hand problems, get out there and start running around with cups of cold water!&nbsp; :P&nbsp;&nbsp;#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#c080ff size=2#ed_cl#Feel free to comment....I love to hear peoples comments, and to be quiet honest, I like it when people laugh at my exercises.....as long as you try it after!!! hahahaha Oh Oh, and if you do it.....get someone to take pics.....cause I wanna see, so I can laugh myself! hehehehe#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I'm the proud new owner of a Fez! hahahaha
*rickie*
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I like the idea of a video...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Return to Dressage