Good ways to increase Cardio

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Good ways to increase Cardio

Postby Terry3025 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi there.  I thought it's only fair that I'm going to get Major fit, so I should become more fit!  Since this is March Break, I really want to try and get on a steady exercise plan.  I really want to add more cardio to my workout, but am unsure of what to include.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1. Running-  I really want to start this.  How far should I go?  I know that the first couple of times you run and walk and repeat this.  Also, all we have is pavement to run on, not dirt.  Will this be harmful to my joints?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2.  Biking-  We have a stationary bike, but it's made for my mom who has a large hernia on her side.  You are not in the typical biking position, but your back is about 1/2 way behind the vertical.  When the weather gets more acceptable, I'll get my bike out and attempt to get my cardio going.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3.  Jump Rope- I used to have an awesome rope when I was younger (12-13) and I know that it would really improve my cardio.  I find that it's fun too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#4.  Can you think of anything else?   We do not have a swimming pool  or YMCA, I have a months membership at a gym downtown, but I'm gonna use that during the summer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cardio is going to be my main workout at least 3 times a week.  I would include my pilates and strength training which I would do every day excluding my day off (Sunday).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, how do you keep motivated?  I find that the first week is great, but then I start to make excuses.  I always love how I feel after a workout, but it's just getting there is the hard part.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:11 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are going to run, then start off going for some shorter distance runs to get your started and into basic shape, then you can look at increasing your distance, and the type of run you do. Since it's mainly for your own cardio health benefits you could just stick to distance runs and increase the amount of time, or milage you run each week (I run on the school team, so I have a plan that's given to me by my coach, but in the summer when I start up again after my break from outdoor track I'll start at say 20mins, and then each week I add on 5 more mins)- this will vary on how in-shape you are as to how long you can start. You can also make a few of those runs shorter runs where you run repetitions (the same distance, same route a few times in a row- like a rep/set idea-i.e. run 1km rest till a heart rate of 130, then run the 1km again, and do that a few times). A neat sort of run you can do is to sprint from one telephone pole to the other, then jog from that one to the next, then sprint again. YOu can then vary how many telephone poles you do at once. Yes, running on the road is going to have an impact on your joints. If you can, run on the grass. However, if you can't there isn't much you can do, but take the road over the sidewalk. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Other cardio you can do is swimming, biking and yes jump rope. Jumping rope is very good for you, really targets the calves and gets your heart rate up. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The point of your cardio is to get your heart rate up into it's upper limits and sustain it there, generally for atleast 30mins, and 3 times a week. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for modivation, I find it hard to, but it's easier being on a track team afterschool, because I don't get the chance to go home and be distracted, I'm already there at school. Some days you just don't feel like running, and on those days you just have to make yourself do it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to EC Health Club