What's wrong with my knee?

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

What's wrong with my knee?

Postby Terry3025 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've had knee problems for a while.  It started when I was mounting a horse from the ground and my right knee went out.  It felt like the knee cap was actually moving.  This happened several times before I went to a physo therapist.  He told me that one of my muscles (the inside one) wasn't as strong as the other two ones, and that when I put such a strain on the leg, that it gave out.  Well I did several exercises to strengthen it and the pain had just about diminished.  This was a good 5 years ago.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I now always mount from a mounting block no matter what.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I recently started running, and was cooling down when my knee went out.  It was extremely painful.  It felt like my knee had locked up.  It also felt like there was a round hard ball on the inside of my knee.  This could be the muscle bunching up.  This occured a few days ago, and I've been using Lakota which has really helped.  Today I was making the long journey to get Major in a very muddy field where my boots were almost being sucked off with every step.  Once Major was inside, my knee felt stiff and sticky like.  I tried to ignore it and rode.  The sensation seemed to disappear.  When I got home my knee popped and it hasn't hurt since.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What do you think is wrong?  I think that when I was cooling down that I slightly re-injured the muscle.  All I can probably do is continue exercising minus running as it's too hard on my knee.  Should I take glucosamine?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby Judy F » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:11 pm

It sounds like you have a problem with the ligaments holding your knee cap in place. Some people have ligaments that are too long or too elastic, and the knee cap (patella) pops out of place. If your were a horse, we'd say you had a loose stifle problem.

You should probably see an orthopedic surgeon. There is new arthroscopic surgical procedures that can fix this problem. It afflicts a lot of athletes, including my brother-in-law, and the surgery can be very successful.

Your alternative is the keep working on the exercises your physiotherapist gave you and stop running, at least until your knee is pain free. But there's no guarnatee it will stay that way if you want to start running again.
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Marty_Jones » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My knee does sort of the same; it gets really stiff all the time, but after I ride sometimes and I swat down to take my horses boots off my knee pops but it feels more like a dislocation and I alway end up sitting on the flood till it pops back in.... Now my knee caps are too high in my leg and I dont have enough cartalidge(sp) so my phisio. person told me a few years back. There a few excesises that I am not allowed to do because it will cause damage to my knees(my knees grind and pop while doing them.) If I were you I would to the docs and ask to be refered to a sports med doc about your knee. They will more then likely be able to get to the bottom of this and have a bit more knowledge on the subject then a regular everything doc as they have specielized in this. Good luck and take her easy. lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have no real experience with knees other than spraining mine many years ago.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I would go ASAP to a doctor and get it checked out and make sure your Doctor takes you seriously. You can do severe damage to your knees riding if they are not right.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby DurhamJumper » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#whatever you do stop taking the Lakota, its sooooo bad for you, dont even get me started on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My knees both do the same thing I have weak MCLs on both and a twisted LCL on one.  On days they are really bugging me I just but a brace on, you can get the tensor pull on ones for like 20 bucks just make sure it has the cut out for the knee cap, helps keep it in place.  theres special ones you can get for riding but i dont find they make much difference from the 20 dollar ones.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To strength the MCL (inside ligament), buy some exercise tubing, and tie one end to something stable (i tie my to a bed leg) and then make a loop at the other end and then do cross overs (so the leg that is sore should be closest to the bed and have the tubing tied to it and cross over the good leg)  and then turn around so your doing the same thing but instead of crossing over your moving the leg away from the body.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does that make sence?  If not I can try drawing pics for you#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
DurhamJumper

Postby Terry3025 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#These are all good suggestions.  I think I just slightly strained the ligament.  Its been feeling a lot better.  If it gets worse or the pain doesn't go away I'll head to my doctor and physio therapist and see what they recommend.  I find that I can really feel the pain when I go up and down stairs.  Surgery would most certainly be a last resort.  For now though I'll keep up with my exercises and see how it feels in a couple of weeks.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#P.S. Durham Jumper...those exercises do make perfect sense!!  Thanks and I'll add them to my program!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Competitive riding should be classical riding at its best." -Charles de Kunffy

"God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses." -R. B. Cunningham Graham
Terry3025

Postby Ridikulous_Remarks » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my math teacher had that problem where her knee would give out on her. She said she would be walking and then it would just lock and feel like a knife was through it. She went to her doctor and has do to this workout to build up the muscles. I believe she goes to physio. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyways hope it gets better for you!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Elizabeth#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"Time spent with horses is never time wasted"
Ridikulous_Remarks
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Go back to the doctor- there are so many things that could be causing your knee problem, so you should have it properly diagnosed. For now, ease off on the running and do things that you know won't hurt your knee until you find out what's wrong. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a recently sore knee myself- I know knee issues are no fun! I haven't been running period in over two months.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley13.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Trufflemaker » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had the same problem a few years ago. I went to a chiropractor for it, and I also stopped running. The x-rays showed that my patella was rubbing on the bone--it had no cartiledge protecting it in one area. So, I would recommend at least getting x-rays through an orthopedic surgeon or chiropractor. And stop running until you solve the problem. The knee is the largest and most complicated joint in the body. You definitely don't want to permanently damage it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby graciespook » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess my post was erased??? Arg..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

re

Postby lola s » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Take it from me, you do NOT want to mess around with a knee injury.  I've just had horrible surgery on my left knee and I've been off work for over three months.  I will not be able to return until they do another surgery (they want to replace the entire knee), if I'm ever able to at all.  All this would have been avoided if I'd just gotten the stupid thing fixed years ago, when they originally wanted to.  Its not going to get better on its own.  That nagging little discomfort will eventually turn into chronic pain.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to EC Health Club