herbs and supplements

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

herbs and supplements

Postby sonny siskin » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been on a roll and losing weight (and gaining muscle) with cycling 4 times a week, sit ups, push ups etc and swimming on Wed nights.  I have decided to "up the ante" with some well researched help re. supplements.  I cannot take the "stack" because of a problem with high blood pressure but I found some kind supplements that I think will help me out with my weight loss.  Thought I would share.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Guggul lipids assist fat mobilisation and help with cholesterol, cayenne (capsaisin) rev's up your thermostat to help you burn more fat and a natural pain killer, DHEA kicked my hormones into action again therefore upping my metabolism (I was menopausal) , lots of green tea (the drinking kind) and a good dose of vitamin C and B.  I feel better, my skin looks great and I have energy to burn! My younger friends can't believe I work 7 days a week and work out and teach and will include riding again in April.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you want to check out supplements I can recommend   #ed_op#A href="http://www.goendurance.com"#ed_cl#www.goendurance.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# . It seems well researched and unbiased.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
people think they're having a problem with their horse, but in reality the horse is having a problem with the rider
sonny siskin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby tbbrat » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That sounds interesting.  I am also menopausal, and have just started running after a winter of, errm, not much.  Up until November, I was working at physical jobs, so was still in pretty good shape.  Now I sit in front of a computer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I will investigate the site.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm currently taking some herbal supplements for the menopause symptoms and they seem to be helping - a lot.  Also taking St. John's Wort for a mild depression brought on by a couple of deaths in the family over the winter - also seems to be helping!  Just need something to up the energy levels.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you have any experience with creatine?  I think that was a big thing a few years ago, but haven't heard anything recently.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby sonny siskin » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know anyone who's taken creatine.  I heard it didn't do much.  I have also tried L-Lysine but found that it gave me the trots and bloating. (yech) I can't take St John's wort because I'm on Paxil.  I originally looked to supplements because of the side effects of the Paxil (hampering the romance dept if you know what I mean) and I am also going to take some ginko biloba once I have settled on the supplements I'm taking now.  Nothing beats clean eating and exercise but if I can get a bit of assistance from supplements I'll go for it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
people think they're having a problem with their horse, but in reality the horse is having a problem with the rider
sonny siskin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know too much about supplements, but I know creatine is more to help you bulk up. It's taken by body builders and such to gain muscle, however I don't know how effective it is. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby sonny siskin » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to body build but I never took anything for muscle growth.  My cousin did and he was a mess. I have seen "roid rage" first hand and some of the other side effects, like a back with more zits than clear skin! no thank you!!   I heard that creatine had to be taken in high doses and caused bloating and they really weren't sure how much was being absorbed in the gut or washed out.  I guess you have to research and experiment.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
sonny siskin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby tbbrat » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The reason I asked about creatine is that my brother left some behind when he moved - and I hate to throw anything out!  Guess I will though, doesn't sound like it would have any benefits.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#SS- Ok, I could be off here, but yes I think it is creatine where it's not that it makes your muscle *grow* larger, it's that it causes water retenation in the muscles to make them appear bigger. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So in that sense as well, it isn't going to help you loose weight. I think I'm going to do a quick google on it, it has sparked my interest. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's a site if you want to look:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.absolute-creatine.com/"#ed_cl#http://www.absolute-creatine.com/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to EC Health Club