Embarassing Facial Hair

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Embarassing Facial Hair

Postby chenders01 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, this is a bit embarassing but I'm sure that I'm not the only woman on here with this problem.  I have a mustache (don't laugh!).  It's not horribly dark but *I* notice it...to me, it sticks out like a sore thumb.  I've tried that "Veet" stuff (like "Neet" that you use on your legs) but it burns my skin...so, rather than having a mustache on my upper lip, I have a lovely red rash for a few days #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, for those of you who share my "problem" what do you use to remove the hair?  Have any of you tried waxing?  I've had my legs waxed before and that hurt like a b***ch so I'm expecting that the upper lip would hurt even MORE than my legs...and since my skin seems to be sensitive, it might react badly to the hot wax #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/6.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Are there any other products or methods out there for removing or even lightening the upper lip hair?  I've even considered bleaching it but again, I'm worried about burning my skin.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any ideas??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Rio Roulette » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, don't buy one of those do-it-yourself upper lip cold waxing kit. I tried one once and peeled off about 3 layers of skin. It looked like I had a horrid case of cold sores from my lip to my nose one one side of my divot for about 2 weeks. (I didn't do both sides of my upper lip after the first rip & tear). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They make a patch that is used to topically freeze your skin. It is sold in drug stores, just ask for it. They are easy to use, they don't hurt, and they might be helpful to use an hour before to freeze your lip before you get a professional wax job.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used these patches once when I had some injections put into my lip (not collagen, but something like it, only temporary). Since the lip is maddeningly sensitive to needles, the doctor recommended these patches and they helped a lot. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Foxie » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't have a stache but my friend does. I've never seen it but she swears its there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She waxes it herself. I sugguest you do the following:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#UL#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl#If you want to wax, go to a professional the first couple of times then take over yourself#ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#LI#ed_cl#Get it lasered off#ed_op#/LI#ed_cl##ed_op#/UL#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I wax my eyebrows and my bikini line. Hurts but it goes away. I did my lower legs once and never again!! That was sooooo painful. So I've found lower legs PAINFUL. I don't think the lip is too bad. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I would laser. Couple treatments and gone for life. Hurts like a b**ch but worth it. I had my arms done. Do you know that no one noticed!!! So what you think is bad other people may not see.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:00 pm

I don't have that problem, but I have used body sugaring at home on
legs and bikini line and find it hurts at first, but isn't that bad. On
the package it can be used on the face, even shows diagrams about how
to do it.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My mom's friend had the same problem, and she used to go to a beautician to get it done.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I know that diet (not enough protein) and birth control can make it worse.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My best friend is East Indian and her face used to get quite
hairy....dark and noticably so, mostly on her chin and sides of her
cheeks....she got it lasered, I think and has been fine ever since. I
know that's more pricey, but it's an option.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If it makes you feel any better...I may be fair and blonde and not have
facial hair....but I have this one rogue hair that grows on my
chin....it's not like a whisker....it's more like a misplaced hair from
my head...so I have to watch it doesn't grow and pluck it out...really
weird.#ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys/Shocked/2.gif"#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby tbbrat » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've used the cold wax strips on my upper lip - hurts a bit, but not too, too bad.  Leaves it a bit red for a few hours, so I don't do it if I'm going out!  Actually, I've found that the hairs are a little finer now, so I just use tweezers every now and then.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've got some along my jawline that I would like to get lasered - any idea how much that costs?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I haven't found any method that works on my bikini line without leaving red bumps and very bad ingrown hairs! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/4.gif"#ed_cl#  Oh well, just have to stay out of bathing suits - like that's gonna be a problem.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Foxie » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#TB- My arms cost like $500.00 dollars for 3 treatments. I'm sure the chin is cheaper.(smaller area) I had mine done at a doctors office. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ingrowns and red bumps usually come with shaving NO? I find that I don't have this with waxing. Well actually you can get ingrowns with waxing. For ingrowns use a Loofa(sp?) you won't get any after.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tbbrat » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tried the loofa - still get 'em.  I have dark, coarse hair, very curly.  Heck, I get ingrown hairs even if I don't do anything! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby sonny siskin » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh something I can add to.  I have been waxing my legs for years and I have a little machine that "plucks" at super high speed (Silkepil). I go over my legs once a week and thats it. (pits too) I have the occaisional hair on a mole on my chin and strangely I have some rogue eyebrow hairs!! I cut those off to an even length with the normal ones.  If I had the $$ I would laser everything from the ears down. I have debated the "brazilian" wax look but as I cycle, ride, etc if I don't like it would I survive the growing in phase???#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
people think they're having a problem with their horse, but in reality the horse is having a problem with the rider
sonny siskin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby ~Nikita~ » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0080ff#ed_cl#Seeing as I am mostly Italian...I have a bit of one (not really dark though). My sister used to bleach hers and I do that too. My mom buys facial bleach (I forget the name of it). My sister then started to Nair it off rather than bleach it. I did that once...but don't like how it feels when it's growing back so I just bleach.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~*Give a horse what he needs and he will give you his heart in return*~
~Nikita~

Re: Embarassing Facial Hair

Postby Promise » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:59 pm

chenders01 wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay, this is a bit embarassing but I'm sure that I'm not the only woman on here with this problem.  I have a mustache (don't laugh!).  It's not horribly dark but *I* notice it...to me, it sticks out like a sore thumb.  I've tried that "Veet" stuff (like "Neet" that you use on your legs) but it burns my skin...so, rather than having a mustache on my upper lip, I have a lovely red rash for a few days #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Sad/7.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Oh me too! #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/chinese.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/chinese.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl# lol! I have that Veet stuff too...but I almost never use it (it burns me just a little bit too when I use it). No doubt it works, but I am *absolutely* terrified that when it grows back each time - they get thicker and darker. So I avoid using it, I've heard to many stories! (& its true, with hair everywhere else, if you shave/take it off in any other way than waxing, it grows back thicker and darker! no kidding :S)#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#(& little kids are either merciless or brainless...but I've had a little kid come up and ask me when i was a camp counsellor..."why do you have a mustache?!" #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/dead.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/dead.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/5.gif"#ed_cl# LOL! goodness!)#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#(Ive considered bleaching before as well...but I can't imagine how harsh and rough taht would make your skin, esp your face!)#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#Sorry, I cant offer great solution. (I could probably use one myself!) But I've really just learnt to live with it. I mean its not THAT bad having a mustache is it lol...#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

<3 Guinness ~ Buckskin Beauty
Promise
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:34 pm

TBBRAT- I'm with you, I still get ingrowns....and it's not really that dark or thick...but I always seem to get them down south.#ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl# I've exfoliated, cleansed, loofahed and I still get them...good thing I'm not a swimmer!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I have contemplated waxing my armpitt...but I imagine that to be rather painful so I haven't braved it yet.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I thought my friend's laser treatment cost $40 but I'm not sure. Don't quote me on that one.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The bleach idea sounds pain free to me....#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok tbbrat and siska(sp) i too have very dark hair and it grows super fast and I do grow a mustashe( if I was so anal about removing it). I have tried the bleaching when I was younger and it did work. As for my bikini line I too ALWAYS had red bumps and ingrown hairs.But now I rarely have them. The machine that siska told about I have. And it&nbsp;HURTS way&nbsp;WORSE then waxing for the first 2x's, but now I'm used to it and I barely feel it. What I did was I had myself professianally waxed and then then next day I took my machine(it costs about $50) and went over the spots that the waxing missed. This machine will grab hairs that are very close to the skin. It won't cut you(but I did get pinched by it on my under arm once but it didn't hurt that bad). I LOVE this machine if you can't tell. I haven't had (barely like only a couple of ingrowns over several mths) barely any ingrowns and NO red bumps!!!!! I keep myself pluck machined every week! I do my underarms(belive it or not it is the least painful for me!) and my legs and my underarms. The bikini line is the worst but I don't spend a block amount of time attacking that area. I do still shave "down there" but thats only on the areas that are still too sensitive for the plucker( I do brazillian). I don't get nearly as itchy as with waxing or shaving cause only a few hairs grow in at a time. It was well worth the 50 bucks in my mind as I was spending almost 60 to get an all body wax every&nbsp;3 weeks or so. So I am saving $$ IMO.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby chenders01 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for all the input and ideas, guys!&nbsp; It's nice to see that I'm not alone #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley9.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think I'm going to try the bleaching.&nbsp; I have a lot of blonde hairs mixed in with brown ones on my upper lip, so maybe the bleaching will work.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm assuming that I can find this facial bleach in a drugstore??#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Megan Ball » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yup it'll be right with the waxs and creams. Sally hansen used to make them, I don't know if they still do.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Sodapoppers » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Oh Chenders I SO share your pain! Waxing hurts like a son of a &amp;!^#$!!! I usually do the nair stuff...but then when it is growing back it feels all weird and&nbsp; you can feel it. You can try the bleach and then just trimming. I would recommend the Sally Hansen...there is another product called Joleen but I did not find it effective. I also found that after a time the effectiveness of the bleching wears off.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Ruth » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:41 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My best friend, who is a Latina, had electrolysis done. Great results and she only ever had it done the once when she was a teenager.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby stephanie1 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a bit of one too, I used to bleach for years I use a bleach called JOLEN its for sensitive skin. Worked pretty good you just have to do it often. I stopped using it cause my skin all of a sudden had a reaction to it and it burnt it..&nbsp; Just make sure you mix it good and you should be fine.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I now wax, but go to a pro, I have a reaction to it though, my lip gets puffy and I break out a bit lasts for two days or so.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Edited to say#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I forgot something if you do decide to wax I would go let a pro do it cause I have a really bad reaction to the do it yourself ones.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And my mom gets lazer done she said it not to bad.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Bolton,Ontario
stephanie1
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dee22 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would say to go to a professional and get it waxed, it's cheap, fast and not really painful. I would say that using things like NAIR bother my skin more than the waxing. I'm a big wimp when it comes to pain but if your esthetician is good, the waxing process is much less painful. Your skin also feels baby soft afterward, the hair takes a while to grow back and it grows back thinner each time. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't like bleaching, for one it irritaes the hell out of my skin and two, you still hgave a mustache! It may be blond but it's still there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't like using NEAT or any of the hair removal creams because it causes your hair to grow back darker and thicker. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I don't have the time to go and get waxed I use the at home cold waxing strips. I use the NAIR brand, warm them by rubbing them together in your hands. It *can* rip your skin off but only if you press it to hard onto your skin and really rub it in. Just lightly pat it onto your lip.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I just usually go with the professional waxing, it doesn't hurt as much as you think and it's WAY less hassle than anything else I've tried!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lix » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't have this problem but I just read this joke called "understanding women" and I thought about this thread... lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=black size=5#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN lang=EN-CA style="FONT-SIZE: 18pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'"#ed_cl#Understanding Women (A Man's Perspective)#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=black size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#SPAN lang=EN-CA style="FONT-SIZE: 13.5pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'"#ed_cl#I know I'm not going to understand women. I'll never understand how you can take boiling hot wax, pour it onto your upper#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#thigh, rip the hair out by the root, and still be afraid of a spider.#ed_op#/SPAN#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#o:p#ed_cl##ed_op#/o:p#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby chenders01 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ha-ha, Lix!!&nbsp; That's a good one #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Only in MY house, it's my hubby who is the one who is squeamish about killing spiders&nbsp;&nbsp;#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//ermm.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Next

Return to EC Health Club