Herbal / Natural Anxiety Suppliments??

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Herbal / Natural Anxiety Suppliments??

Postby Dee22 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does anyone know of any vitamin or herbal (natural) suppliments that relieves anxiety/panic attacks?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any info would be great!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks! :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Dee22 on Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Kobau » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well i take something called Prime One, it is a liquid supplement and has been shown to help lower cortisol levels..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:51 pm

I think that you have to find the cause of your anxiety attacks before
you take medication, and that includes natural supplements. Something
in your body is out of balance and it is causing you to go into "fight
or flight" mode and then stay there. What I would do is keep what is
called a food diary although it covers a lot more than that. Write down
everything you eat and drink every day for at least a week or through
one or more panic attacks. That includes things like vinegar, salt,
sugar etc. and for prepackaged foods keep an eye on food additives. At
the same time record how you feel each day, emotionally, energetically,
physically, digestion, elimination, breathing etc. What will happen is
that if there is an external trigger to your attacks it will show up in
the chart. This will really help a naturopath get to the bottom of what
is happening.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I was having panic attacks a couple of years back. Turned out that they
were partially triggered by a rather obscure food allergy. Once I
changed my diet and practiced relaxation techniques plus Bowen and a
few other things the attacks pretty much subsided. My naturopath did
give me a supplement to take the edge off but it was based on issues
that I have with hormonal balance and matched my profile. She weighed
all the factors before deciding what I should take.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby sonny siskin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There's a lot of stuff to weigh (like interactions) when taking supplements because they are medicine too.  Some people have had success with St John's Wort, or Kava Kava.  Like Elizabeth said, meditation and even cognitave therapy might help. Regular exercise too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kobau where do you get Prime One?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
people think they're having a problem with their horse, but in reality the horse is having a problem with the rider
sonny siskin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby goldendryad » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:17 pm

I know a girl who has anxiety and depression...and she takes some kind of B vitamin like 18 times a day...but she says it works.#ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys//smiley3.gif"#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.healinghorsesnaturally.com/default.htm"#ed_cl#http://www.healinghorsesnaturally.com/default.htm#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# Sharon is the lady I deal with. It is here in MB, but i'm sure she likely knows of places you can get it in Ont or wherever you are. I found out about it thru a good friend. if you go look at products on the website you will find a link to Prime one and information on it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like the others said you do have to look at eating and enviroment before taking meds, because sometimes a change in your diet is all you need :-)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Gemina » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:44 pm

Dee, I would have a chat with my doctor. Herbal medicine is now being scientifically examined by our Government but it will take years before they get to them all. Kava Kava has been banned in Canada, Great Britain and the U.S.
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Dee22 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I have been doing my own little *research* on herbal remedies etc. And have found some of your suggestions (Kava Kava, St Johns Wart etc.) but I think (like Elizabeth suggested, thanks!) that I should speak with someone like a naturopath about it first, someone who 'knows their stuff', before messing around with things on my own. I have found that some of the herbal remedies are for other things also, (dihuretics for example) so don't want to cause myself another problem ;) LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gemina - I already did speak with my Doc about it. After he tested my blood (blood sugar, iron, thyroid etc.) and discovered all was normal, he automatically turned to 'hormonal imbalance causing panic attacks', and perscribed me medication. I took the first (and last) dose on Tuesday night was was completly messed up all day wednesday! I was 'doozy', had no appetite, messed up vision, clenched/shaking jaw, headaches, very strange/vivid dreams, feeling of 'floating', I could go on and on, I was HIGH :s I was supposed to be on this medication for 9-12 months, yikes! Apparantly, these are all normal side effects that, once your body gets used to the meds, go away after 1-2 weeks... but the way I see it, it's doing *something* crazy to my body and it's still doing it even if my body DOES get used to it! #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I did my own bit of research on the drug (Effexor XR) and found some scary information. I found a BB and people were saying that it DOES work BUT coming off of the drug is nearly impossible. You experience withdrawl symptoms such as electric shock like feelings, vomiting, migranes etc. Some people were asking for help because they couldn't get past a certain dosage of the stuff because it made them so ill... YUK, not for me.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've decided that I won't be seeing docs anymore for anything other than 'everyday' type of things. I find that they push pills too much.... last time I fell off my horse and hurt my back my Doc gave me pain killers before even taking x-rays... I had to ASK for x-rays :s #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think I will be going the 'natural' route for this :) I feel much more comfortable with that.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Golden - I also heard that B Vitamins can 'take the edge off'... hey, I give B1 to my mare and it works, why not me right? Definatly something to ask about!#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#If anyone has anymore suggestions that I can ask the Naturopath about before I go, that would be great... I'd like to be as prepared as possible to ask questions etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks again!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#On the RX side, my sister used to suffer from panic attacks and at first she was on Ativan and then they switched her to Paxil. They did eventually go away, she has been medication free for a few years now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#valium works good... hahaha j/k... I had some at the dentist and I have to say it was pretty good.... very relaxing. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you know what causes the anxiety? Does it happen certain times... days... before some type of events.... at work... are you having trouble with friends or family? money? Crying alot? Did it just start happening suddenly? Does it happen around your period? trouble sleeping? trouble getting to sleep?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you can find out reasons or triggers you might be able to fix it that way... You know we're all here to talk with about that stuff.... (of course you dont have to haha) #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck with finding something dee!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth - Yes, the Doc said that Panic Attacks are quite 'normal' with people my age and quite often they tend to go away. #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Everyone is different, sometimes they go away and can come back again in 10 years, maybe never come back... some people live with them forever. I'm hoping mine will go away and never come back! Scary feeling!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Xena - I'm not exactly sure what causes the anxiety, that's why I'm going to keep a food diary and go see a Naturopath to see if we can figure out why it's happening. It only ever happens in public situations or if I'm doing something with someone I don't know very well... like going on a date or being in a bar that's too busy... or when my hair stylist hits on me LOL.... I've always been quite shy in 'public situations' but have also always been the type to warm up quite easily and than I'm usually the social butterfly, it's just the last year and a half that these panic attacks have started happening.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Up until recently the panic attacks started happening more frequently but not as bad as when I first started having them 1.5 years ago... so, not sure which is better LOL less often and really bad, or more often and not as bad? Plus I'd been seeing more general anxiety as well, just getting nervous for no reason whatsoever :s#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#On a brighter note: I haven't had a panic attack since my first date with the guy I'm seeing which was 2 weeks ago...I thought I would for sure have another one on our next date but I must feel super comfortable around him because we've been hanging out a lot and I don't even get nervous! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/21.gif"#ed_cl# #ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I've also been other places where I've had them before and I've been fine! Maybe I'm starting to learn not to be so afraid of them, or I'm dealing with them better... who knows, I'm not complaining!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Paul (guy I've been dating) also got some stuff from his sister, (who is a naturopath) for me called Bachs Rescue Remedy... I've been taking it a few times a day and it's great stuff! Helps to 'calm and relax'....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and I've gone 2 days with only 2 cigarettes (both yesterday) so, I'm hoping that maybe quitting smoking will make a difference as well ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for all your help guys! And thanks Xena for offering up an ear (or in this case an eye to read my complaining LOL) It's nice to know I can yak about it to people... I used to be afraid to tell people in case they thought I was weird but I realise now this is a common thing that a lot of people deal with!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Lehane » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Instead of drugs why don't you try therapy? Cognitive behaviour therapy provides ways to think through the panic attacks and how to recognize behaviour and stuff like that.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Also there are other drugs besides the one your on. Perhaps that one isn't for you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Lix » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:40 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#Good, maybe it's getting better Dee!  Maybe that stuff is doing something, or just taking it is making you think that it's doing something so that's helping.  lol ;)  Did that make sense?  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I agree that anxiety is common.  You're soooo not weird! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I'm afraid I will have it bad when I'm older.  My grandma had it her whole life and now that she's old (in her 80's) she's a wreck.  She's in a nursing home and if they say dinner is at 5, she get all stressed out at 3:30 and keep asking us the time every 5 minutes cause she doesn't want to be late.  She makes herself sick.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#My Dad is really bad too (well, not to that degree but about 'bigger' things).  He's on a zillion different pills and I don't want to end up like that.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#For me, I get anxiety when I go to bed or wake up in the middle of the night and I'll think of an interaction I had with someone earlier in the day and wonder if anything I said was misinterpreted or if I was too cold with the person, or if they think I'm rude, etc.  I'll always question myself too and my actions.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#On a side note!  Woohoo!  Glad to hear it's going well with the new guy!  Don't worry ***knocking on wood not to jinx Dee***! lol#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#When you feel comfortable with sharing, you'll have to let us know his age, and style and what not. ;)  Was really impressed when you said about the flowers...  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Love/5.gif"#ed_cl#  He sounds really sweet!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Dee22 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:39 am

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#Lehane - Yes, I've thought about therapy, unfortunatly therapy is quite an expensive option that I don't have the money for at the moment. It's in the back of my mind though and know that if my attacks don't subside or get worse that is definatly a good path to take. For now I think I'm going to see how it goes and probably see a Naturopath.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I know there are other medications but I have thought about the 'medication' route a lot and have decided that it's just not for me. I already don't like taking medicine much and all that kind of depression/anxiety medication is pretty heavy duty stuff. A lot of it is addictive and you have to be on it for months and months, if not years.... I think I will look into the natural route and therapy later on if needed. #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Lix - Thanks for your words :) I felt so weird when the Dr. confirmed that all my blood was fine and that I had 'classic panic attacks' ... but the more I've discussed it with people the more I realise that it's not that uncommon for people to get anxiety or panic attacks.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Hopefully because you realise that there is a chance your anxiety might develop further, maybe yoy can get a head start on it and learn to try and control it as you get older. Hopefully you won't get it like your grandmother has it.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
Lix wrote:#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#On a side note!  Woohoo!  Glad to hear it's going well with the new guy!  Don't worry ***knocking on wood not to jinx Dee***! lol#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#When you feel comfortable with sharing, you'll have to let us know his age, and style and what not. ;)  Was really impressed when you said about the flowers...  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Love/5.gif"#ed_cl#  He sounds really sweet!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#LOL... I'm ready to spill the beans LOL if ya really wanna know ;) LOL... well, his name is Paul, he's 28, he's 6'1" with dark hair and dark eyes. VERY nice guy, very sweet and really has his head on his shoulders. So far, so good but I don't wanna jinx anything... I've never really had a *real* relationship before... I mean I've had a boyfriend here and there but nothing serious and nothing where I've really liked them all that much... more kinda someone to hang out with type of thing...(i've always had commitment phobia) this seems to be more serious and I haven't been scared away yet (which is highly unusual) so, fingers crossed that I won't start to freak out and break it off LOL.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Okay, back to regular programming... I'm hi-jacking... but I guess that's okay seeing as it's my thread hee hee #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ohhhhh go dee!!! he sounds like a good guy!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#dont worry you can tell us more hehe. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Lix » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG style="WIDTH: 101px; HEIGHT: 40px" height=40 src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Word_Greetings/4.gif" width=80#ed_cl#  That's awesome Dee! ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He does sound very nice!  It's normal to overthink things at the beginning but I'm really glad you are feeling good about things!  One day at a time like they say!  I'm sure it will all go well.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lix

Postby Ruth » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hahaha, I give Rescue Remedy to Boomer at shows! I'm not certain if it actually does anything or not, it honestly doesn't make much of a difference to me, but for him it may. He occasionally decides to try to buck me off in the middle of a dressage test. Usually Rings 1 & 2 at York, because A is very close to the in gate. He has never bucked in a test that I have given him RR beforehand. HOWEVER, he doesn't always buck, so I don't know if it's coincidence or not.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Which reminds me, it's out in the car as we have a show tomorrow, and I'm getting a little nervous, so I'll give it a whirl again, see if it helps ME.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have suffered from mild panic attacks, in my case I would say anxiety attacks would be a better description, where my mouth would get dry and I would think I might throw up on people in social situations. This was in my early 20's and it rarely happens now, and when it does it's more like I talk myself into feeling dizzy. Weird. My mother also used to suffer from them at the same age. I think my sister's occured in her mid-20's. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to EC Health Club