And today is the day...

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

And today is the day...

Postby Clio » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:35 pm

I've been very impressed with how you all suport each other in your weight loss/getting fit goals on this board, and would like to officially join the club. Today my bf and I joined the Y (and man, are they nice--and cheap--in Toronto! They'll even provide you with a personal trainer and dietician!), and today I started my fitness program. I've known that I've had to do it for years now--ever since I started my PhD and put on around 30 lbs--but nothing but riding horses has ever made me want to work my body. BUT, my coach has now ordered me to get my cardio and endurance up for the show season, so I might as well drop the extra poundage while I'm at it.

So, here are the deets: I now weigh 159 (weighed myself at the gym--though I don't know how much of that can be attributed to leg and butt muscle; I'll have to ask the trainer). I'd like to lose around 20 lbs. I'm trying to watch what I eat, but I constantly give in to cravings, particularly after a long day at the barn, and I'm starving, haven't had dinner and have to drive an hour to get home. Then the Wendy's lights beckon on that long, dark highway home and I invariably give in... The other problem is low blood sugar; if it drops, then I have to eat something, and, of course, I always go for the bad stuff. So for those of you who have cravings and are driving around a lot, do you have any tips for me?

Plus, what have you been doing at the gym to get in shape (and lose the pounds)? Anything that has worked particularly well for you? (And keep in mind that I'm 32, so my metabolism is NOTHING like it used to be...)
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Jump The Stars » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#About the low blood sugar and driving situation. I think the easiest thing you can do to keep from giving into the cravings is prepare your snacks ahead of time. Doesn't have to be elaborate. I know it's not as appealing as the Wendy's lights but wash a handful of grapes or cut up carrot/celery sticks the night before work, or when you're on your way to the barn and keep them in a small lunch cooler for the driving. Pack more if you want to snack at the barn. Almonds are good to have a handful of each day and I eat a handful of chocolate covered raisons every now and then. Then I feel like I'm having a treat, but I'm not having enough to spoil me calorie intake vs fatburning regimen. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And it doesn't have to be just what I said there...your snacks could really be anything you like. An apple, slices of orange, pineapple, a handful of blueberries. Just small things that you can put into a container and keep in your own little "mini fridge" (lunch cooler) in the car while you're driving. Knowing they're there you can start the habit of reaching for your carrot sticks before you see the Wendy's lights and you can keep on driving by until you get home and can make yourself a different dinner. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thing that helps is to ask yourself the question, "if I was eatting at home, would I have this plate of fries?"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyway you get the idea. Good for you for trying to get into shape! I'm trying to find a gym for myself at the moment too.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Jump The Stars
Newbies
Newbies

Postby draftdriver » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:06 am

Peanuts are my life-saver. I carry them to shows, at field days, at work, at home. I have a peanut stash in about every conceivable location. It doesn't take many -- maybe ten nuts well chewed -- to take the edge off the hunger and stabilize the blood sugar. I buy the dry roasted, lightly seasoned kind. Hint -- take only 10 nuts out of the container; close the container and put it away. Never eat directly out of the container. It's too easy that way to have just one more, then just another one more.....
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Clio » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:16 pm

oh, I so hear you on the nut container thing! Okay, that sounds like a good idea--I love peanuts (not so strong on almonds, though), and hopefully that will level out the blood sugar. Is trail mix a good idea as well ? I just read somewhere that it is fattening, which I find very disappointing. But, it was on the internet, and who can trust everything you read on the internet?
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Postby MacnRio » Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Clio, I'd think that the trail mix would still be less fattening then Wendy's! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I too am the type of person who, when I get hungry, I need to eat NOW!  If I know I am going somewhere and I'm not sure when I will get a chance to eat, I will take some of the above (fruit), or a sleeve/box of crackers.  I drag my water bottle with me everywhere....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also try to not carry a lot of cash... I find the more cash I have the easier I can justify stopping at a fast food restaurant..... I don't want to debt $7 for food!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck and way to go!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Eating slow acting carbs will help your blood sugar (eating the junk food after you hit a low will only make it worse afterwards because at first they give you an energy spike, but then your sugar drops lower than where started- this will cause you to eat more again). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree to carry snacks with you in the car.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Clio » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:42 pm

oh, the installation of Interac at fast food drive throughs certainly helped lead to my downfall! Okay, more snacks in the car. Right now I have some Quaker granola bars ("cranberry trail mix") in there (after reading an earlier thread...)

But now I'm supposed to go to a party and I can never resist the munchies they have at them. Well, it's all a matter of will, I guess. Wish me luck!
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You could always bring your own snack food.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can bring trail mix, or air-popped popcorn (that is healthy for you). Then you don't feel left out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to EC Health Club