nerves

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

nerves

Postby panzita0 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yea my nerves are AWEFUL! I have a show in 3 days and i can't sleep hardly at all and i'm gonna be crazy at the show any help please? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Patricia » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To be successful at the shows you have to learn how to manage/control your emotions.  If you do NOT stay relaxed it will show in your performance.  Try not to dwell on it...there is only 3 days so you should be prepared by now.  Be confident and positive in your way of thinking up to show day.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Listen to yourself breath....when warming up...talk softly to your horse...it means you are not holding your breathe and you will NOT tense up and you horse should stay relaxed.  Do exercises in warm up that relax your horse.  Each rider has to find a warm up that works for their our horse.  Remember why your showing...It is suppose to be FUN!  Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:10 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmm... ive never had trouble days before shows but the night before i usually get a bit nervous.... sometimes a drink can help you relax and go to sleep hahaha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But yes at the show, just sit and relax your self, close your eyes and just think calmly... Shows are fun, no matter what level so you souldnt worry about it. Worrying will only mess you up. Who cares if you dont win every class? Just do your best and after you can think about what you need to approve.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Make sure you have all your equipment ready to go well in advance and pretty much everything done the night before (tack in vehicle, hay nets already made up, ect) so that way the day of you are not running around like a chicken with your head cut off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Then, just have fun! I agree that a relaxing warm up is best for all. I myself like to do lots of bending work to get my horses listening and soft.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby panzita0 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol I'm fine when i'm actually on the horse, my horse is a nut so I have to be relaxed or he'll have a nervous break down lmao! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's just the days before the show and the night and morning before.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
panzita0
Groupie
Groupie

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So if it's the preparation of the show, then make yourself a check-list of what you need, and make sure it's ready in advance. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to get quite nervous myself while showing. My coach suggested that I take some gravol as a muscle relaxant. However, I would only do that for the day of, don't want to be taking gravol everyday. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend taking Gravol.  It is not recommended that you drive a vehicle while taking it as it can cause you to become drowsy.  You could get hurt handling your horse as your sensed are dulled and you will not react quickly.  People take it for motion sickness. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would think preparing ahead would be the answer.  Have a check list and have your equipment loaded the night before.  That way all you have to do is load your horse.  Try and RELAX and remember why your going....TO HAVE FUN!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a fair bit of trouble with nerves myself. In fact that is one of the biggest hindrances to our performances. One thing that I have found helpful, besides being well prepared and not having to rush around, is to try to keep my body relaxed. I may not be able to wish away the butterflies in my stomach, but I can work on not having a clenched body. It doesn't 100% work, but it is helpful. This past show it didn't help that my horse was nervous too, and not himself. Even on the Friday night when I was hacking him around the grounds (I was not nervous at this point so he wasn't picking it up from me), he was anxious and tense.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to EC Health Club