Hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism

Postby SPYDER » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV class=postcolor#ed_cl#I am putting up a thread to see if anyone else is the same as I am with my thyroid problem.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#To date I have made it my own personal battle to try to adjust to the variations in mood swings I get from this promlem but sometimes I go through a particulary active up and down cycle and the worst part is I can't do anything about it.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I have told my doctor how these thyroid pills make me feel and he is just so concerned about my chlorestoral  and hormone level that he won't listen to me when I tell him that I feel like a yo-yo. He wants the dose up and I want the dose down. I have tried taking them every other day but all he is concerned with is if the T3 and T4 levels are where he wants them and if not he will raise the dosage even higher. So short of getting another doctor any resolutions ?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#By the way I had hyperthyroidism when I was younger and with radiation treatment I now have hypothyroidism. I went for 35 years with a dead one and no medication and could not figure out why I would just feel so depressed. There are physical changes also. My doctor finally recognized it and it took 3 years to find the right dosage. Then I could not afford them and went off again for 2 years. So now I have been back on  Levothvroxine since Oct. I don't have the classical symptoms ( usually on the larger side) in that I am more on the thinner side. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV class=postcolor#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I guess it is my fault everything is such a mess but go figure .. I feel better when I am NOT on them. I was hoping someone knew of any alternative that I can try getting my doctor to look at. Also if anyone has experience this way ...have you had any problems with taking other drugs as well ?#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV class=postcolor#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
God is not the force that saves me from the pain of living, but the force that brings me life in the midst of pain and sorrow.
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cheryl » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Is it your T3 and T4?  How is your TSH handling all of the changes?  Which one is lower?  If your T3 is lower you can find out about Cytomel.  It is on short supply now but some is available if you look hard enough.  What brand are you taking?  There is the occasional person that has a harder time with say eltroxin over synthroid.  There is not much available out there in the medication side of things.  Not sure what there is in homeopatic and herbs though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby SPYDER » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't rally know that much as he ( doctor) just keep telling me that the chlorestoral  level is too high ( I don't eat that well ). All he says that 'it" chlorestoral should be in the 5 range ?? I am also taking effexor but that shouldn't cause mood changes in fact it is supposed to help.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have an appointment this Thursday and I will mention what you related and see what he says.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
God is not the force that saves me from the pain of living, but the force that brings me life in the midst of pain and sorrow.
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:42 am

My naturopath keeps my thyroid and endocrine system in balance with supplements, homeopathy and diet. Diet is a big one. I am at the point now where I can self muscle test to figure out which supplements I need on a day to day basis. I also do a 5 minute energy routine every morning and at additional times in the day if I start to feel that I need it.
Elizabeth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gemina » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:33 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Evidently this problem is very hard to detect. I have been very interested lately and have looked for info on the internet. There are some changes taking place that seem a little off centre to me. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However, having said this I thought these pills made one feel good. Like energetic, etc. Guess I'm wrong. Good luck anyway, Spider. Perhaps others will have personal info for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby SPYDER » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Gemina#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is a difficult disease not only to detect ( I had it for so long ) but to dose it right can also be difficult. It took the doctor several years to get the dose right the first time and going off for 2 years only made the re-dosing a trial all over again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most of the time I am active....too much. I sit and can't keep the legs still, but then there are times I crash. I guess my body doesn't know if it wants to be hyper or hypo. Poor body, I will have to give it a good talking to . LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby SPYDER » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#According to the doctor the T3 and T 4 or OK. He hates to tell me much so that is all I could get from him. All he did was to double the effexor. Now I can't stop shaking.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tbbrat » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That doesn't sound like any fun at all, Spyder.  My dad had the same thing as you, overactive thyroid which they killed off and is now on pills for life - don't recall him having too much trouble with the adjustments though, so can't help you there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Megan Ball » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#S if you are that unhappy with your DR then get a new one! I work with Dr's and some are really good at listening and others just think that they are God and the patient knows nothing! Like you don't know your own body!I say you should start looking for a second opinion at the very least! It's YOUR body! It's the only one you have and if your meds are messing you up that badly and your Dr won't listen to you, find one that will. Dr's are not gods! they are only people that have had several years of training!!!!!!!!!!!!Nothing more! Good luck with your thyroid!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby SPYDER » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The shaking is from the doubling of the effexor. It is supposed to control mood swings. The first dosage was not enough and I had a bad time emotionaly. The shaking is calming down somewhat as my body gets used to it. The attempt to get the thryoid dosage right only made things worse and he says that once the effexor takes hold I should be much better. It is supposed to take about a month. So I should at least see what happens before I jump ship.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Spyder - My Dr' put me on Effexor XR for Panic attacks, I took one dose of it and threw the pills away.... I also found some pages on the internet with people's experiences with Effexor and Effexor XR and what I found I did NOT like... some very scary stuff... and not at ALL like anything my Dr. explained. I decided I would rather try to control my attacks on my own than feed that stuff into my body.... I know it's different for everyone, but just thought I would add my experience with Effexor... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby SPYDER » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:32 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Dee#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I am not on effexor for panic attacks but clinical depression. I had a major downer on the lower dose so that is why it was upped.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gemina » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dee, where did you find your information on Effexor? Thanks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby SPYDER » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:09 pm

[quote="Gemina"]#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dee, where did you find your information on Effexor? Thanks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#[/quote#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is what I picked up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/venlafaxine.html"#ed_cl#http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/venlafaxine.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The pages I found I beleive are from the same site that Spyder posted but this page is the message board... what I read kind of scared me... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Spyder - I realise that it's different to take this stuff for depression than it is for panic... I was just saying that it seems to be pretty strong stuff... if you body has to go through that much just to adjust to it... imagine what it's doing 'long term'... and how hard it is to get off the stuff?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I realise some people need medication like this and it really *does* helps them... I was just saying for my situation... I would rather deal with my panic attacks (which are very scary) than to mess around with medications like Effexor. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's the link, I sat and read every single post LOL... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/19991028/msgs/13781.html"#ed_cl#http://www.dr-bob.org/babble/19991028/msgs/13781.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby SPYDER » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#You have to "wean" yourself off very carefully if you decide to come off. I just don't plan on coming off.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Spyder - Most General Practitioners do not know as much as they think they do about thyroid problems.  You should be seeing an endocrinologist.  My very good friend is an endocrinologist and that is what she always talks about... the number of times she has had to correct things done by a GP who thought they were doing things right is scary for her.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If your thyroid dose is not correct, it can most definitely affect your depression.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If anything, I would insist on being sent to an endocrinologist, let he/she work out the proper thyroid dose and then after that work on your anti-depression medication dose.  First the thyroid, then the depression because, like I said, improper thyroid function/dose can seriously impact your depression.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been taking ThyroSense.  It contains L-tyrosine which you need for T3/T4 production/stability.  As well, there is some iodine and a few other herbal things.  The first thing I noticed is I no longer get SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) which used to hit me like a bombshell each winter because our valley is rather cloudy all winter.  The next thing that I and hubby noticed was that my ups/downs swings related to my menstrual cycle evened out.  There are still small dips when the estrogen crashes just before menses begin, but the crash is not nearly as severe.  I also notice that I'm far more tolerant of heat/cold and the muscle spasms have stopped completely.  My hands and feet are warm and energy-wise, I feel like I have loads of energy (normal energy amounts for the normal person, but because I used to be so low in energy I now feel like I'm a nuclear power house, in comparison!).  My energy doesn't crash by 11 a.m.  I sleep better at night too.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My thyroid reading was 0.5.  The normal range is 0.5 to 5.0 but my doctor did not want to treat me but I felt awful.  A girlfriend, who has severe goiter, suggested I try ThyroSense and it worked for me.  I only take 2 capsules in the morning.  You can take up to 4 a day.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mom has no natural thyroid production at all so she is on the same thyroid medication as you are.  She, too, is not always feeling her best but since thyroid hormone is so touchy to deal with, her doctor feels they have reached a good compromise.  So, my mom has also started taking the ThyroSense, 1 capsule a day.  I haven't heard yet how it is making her feel. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, why not try something like that?  You can start slow with 1 capsule a day for a few days and then add another 1.  Unlike with thyroid medication where it can take weeks for you to notice anything, ThyroSense is noticable within 3 to 5 days.  Also, should the ThyroSense makes you feel really awful, you can stop it immediately without needing to wean it. You can get ThyroSense at any health food store. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby SPYDER » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks Cadence.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is what I was hoping to hear. I will try the ThyroSense and see what happens. For certain the effexor is working but I also know that weaning off it can be scary.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would suggest you not wean off your Effexor at all until you see if something like ThyroSense works for you.  Then, if you still want off Effexor, don't wean until your doctor figures out an appropriate replacement medication and titrates up your dose on the new one while weaning you off the Effexor.  It can be tricky so don't do that without your doctor. In your particular case, it sounds like you will still need the help of a mood stabilizer in addition to your thyroid or ThyroSense or whatever you try.  Not being on the mood stabilizer could turn your life upside down so please stay on the Effexor until your physician finds you a good replacement.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby SPYDER » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cadence#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You have no idea how chaotic my life was until the effexor so I understand your concern. I have no intention of doing anything drastic. Just one minor change at a time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
SPYDER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to EC Health Club