Dizziness, Cramps, Nausea...

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Dizziness, Cramps, Nausea...

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I usually feel a little ill around "that time o' the month", but this morning was almost unbearable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I woke up with muscle cramps, which is nothing unusual for me regardless of the time of the month, so I took two Tylenol Ultras (I'm saying this because it might have something to do with the dizziness, as I've only ever taken them once before). About ten minutes later, I layed down on the floor after suddenly being hit with the feeling that I was going to faint. My stomach cramped up, and I felt like I was going to vomit if I opened my mouth to ask Mom (who was just downstairs) to help. I saw myself in the mirror and I was incredibly pale. The spell lasted for a good fifteen minutes before I found it safe enough to stand up without fear of falling down. I still feel a little light-headed. I had some water, and now I seem  to be feeling a little better.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone have any idea whether that was related to the Tylenol, my period, or something completely different?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any help would be useful, I'm trying to set up an appointment with the doctor, but she's been hard to get hold of.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#*edited to say: this isn't the first time this has happened to me, though it was the first time that it's been even close to that bad.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby draftdriver » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:14 pm

You don't say if you had eaten before taking the Tylenol. Perhaps it isn't good to take them on an empty stomach. That said, I've had severe "lie down on the floor" cramps at 'that time'. I've also had similar, severe cramping, paleness, weakness, sweating and shortness of breath with food allergies. Maybe just be aware that you might have that reaction with those pills, and either be ready for it, or avoid them altogether.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Dee22 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#P4S - All through my highschool years and even into my early twenties I experienced the same thing when I got my period. Every single month, my cramps were so bad that I missed school or work, passed out, vomited etc.  It's just over the past two years (I'm 24) that I've seen improvements and even still, I get some killer cramps.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First off, with all the medication that I've tried over the years (over the counter as well as perscription) I have found that Advil still works the best.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you normally don't get these kinds of symptoms when on your period I would think it could be something like what DD said (did you eat before taking the medication?) or maybe get your doctor to test for low iron. A lot of woman have low iron and you loose even more while on your period, this can make you feel dizzy etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Either way, I'd get to the Dr. and tell him/her everything your experiencing and get some blood taken to test for iron definciency.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck and hope you feel better soon!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Dee22
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Positively4thStreet » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Come to think of it, I don't think I had anything to eat before I took them. I think it was just the combination of the two. I don't usually take Tylenol, as a rule, but we didn't have anything else in the house. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sigh, the earliest I could get an appointment with the doctor is the 21st. Guess I'll just have to put up with whatever comes my way 'til then.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for your suggestions, guys.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Positively4thStreet
Groupie
Groupie

Postby cadence » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tylenol is one of the few medications that are okay on an empty stomach; however, I never found Tylenol all that effective for controlling menstrual pain or, for that matter muscle/joint pain.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The sudden dizziness sounds like what is called a vasovagal attack.  It can come on with sudden severe pain because the pain is literally knocking your body sideways and your body is doing its best to cope and suddenly your blood pressure drops and thus you feel dizzy. You did the right thing by getting onto the floor pronto as you reduced the stress on your heart to pump the blood/oxygen to your brain through reduced blood pressure and also prevented yourself from blacking out and hitting the floor with a thump and potentially giving yourself a head injury or other injury.  Vasovagal is not lifethreatening but it can be scary.  At the hospital, we have patients come in with the same thing occuring during a violent diarrheal episode with bad intestinal spasms and they nearly pass out on the toilet or a patient will twist their ankle and suddenly they're gasping for air as the world spins around them and their vision or hearing disappears temporarily.  Scares the living daylights out of these normally very healthy, active people.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your cramps need to be put under better control.  At this point, they are controlling your life, instead of you controlling them.  Be very frank in your discussion with your doctor about your symptoms and confirm whether that was indeed a vasovagal attack. And also be very frank about your level of menstrual pain, and all the surrounding symptoms you get around the onset of your menstrual cycle, including those muscle spasms in various parts of your body.  You deserve to live a life free of uncontrollable pain every month and it is only after you are very frank with your doctor that he/she will be able to come up with a viable, effective solution for you.  It might be a time-consuming trial and error but it is worth being patient through that process.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Another thought, sometimes taking an extra calcium/potassium supplement will help reduce muscle spasms.  A woman's menstrual cycle causes a certain amount of loss of calcium and potassium so we need extra to replace it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tbbrat » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tylenol 3's give me violent stomach pains, so I stay away from it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had a dizzy spell this morning too, for several hours.  Hope it was just from the heat, but I felt really rotten.  Feel a bit better now that I'm in the a/c at work.  How hot is your house?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It could have been the empty stomach, especially if it's a stronger pill. I too find that Advil works best for menstral pain (even better than Midol). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would check it out with the doctor, cramps that bad are no good. And definitely lay down if you feel dizzy, you won't pass out if your laying down (something an ER doctor told me after I was there from having passed out and convulsing).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#when I went off of tri-cyclene, my first period was so heavy and I felt so sick and crampy, I had to leave work early I thought I was going to be sick. I had never had that bad of cramps or anything before either it was horrible. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I started Alesse and it really has helped alot. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I only take Advils, I dont find anything else helps at all.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to EC Health Club