heel cracks

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

heel cracks

Postby zooka » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#no matter what I do I get really dry heels and they end up cracking and going deep so that it is quite painful to walk on.  Does anyone else get these?  Any suggestions about what works to help get rid of them?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have heard to help with the dry heels you should coat the bottom of your feet in vasoline, then put on socks then go to bed like that and the next morning you should notice a difference. Do that regularly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Other than that, I would just soak them well (in one of them foot soakers with the jets and all) and scrub with those foot scrubbing brushes. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Foxie » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mom has the same problem. She's tried everything. What works for her, is she goes and gets a pedicure done. She puts cream on everyday. The best cream to get is a cream from Germany. I can't remember the name. I know it has like a white flower on the package and yes it stinks! But it works. You can only buy it at the salons. She has tried the vaseline but it didn't work. Your feet sound extermely dry. Wait until the cracks have healed then go get a pedicure. They will get rid of the dry skin for you and make them baby soft.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GU had a great suggestion about putting cream on and wearing socks. I hear that it works wonders!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gemina » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:24 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had the same problem. The doc said it was psoriasis. Anyway it's been just about gone for the last couple of years. He gave me a prescription for cortisone. I used Bag Balm. Good for udders thought it might work on my heels. Have stopped using it now. My heels were really sore and would split open in spots. Good luck...not fun.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Gemina
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby jax » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A girl that I worked with had the same problem, her heels would crack and bleed.  She asked me if, the next time I was at a tack store, if I could get her the Mane and Tail "Hoofmaker" lotion.  Said she had a friend who was a rock climber, whose heels would crack as well, and suggested that she use the Hoofmaker as this was the only thing that worked.  I got her some, she used it two to three times a day, and it worked like a charm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<b>Practice makes progress</b>
jax
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow I never thought of hoof cream!&nbsp; I think I'll have to go and get some of that.&nbsp; I have had cortison it did nothing for me and i try every cream there is with socks.&nbsp; My feet are not dry except for the heel, I just do not get it!&nbsp; Thanks for the advice guys!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby draftdriver » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:07 pm

I've never had them so bad that they bleed, but I do get heel cracks in the winter. After a bath or shower, I go at them with a pumice stone. That gets rid of the thick layer of skin, and helps to stop the cracking.

I get really badly cracked fingers and thumbs, and these will bleed. I use a glycerine/silicone lotion on them, and that helps to clear them up.
draftdriver
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby xena_n_joss » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#goldbond!!!!! dont you remember the commercials? Ive used it before it works good. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:27 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#I also get the dry skin on my hands and feet.&nbsp; I always thought that it was because I don't drink enough water....JMHO&nbsp; #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do not think I drink enough water but I have a lot of trouble trying to drink more then I do already.&nbsp; It makes me have to go potty a lot and that is not practical all the time!&nbsp; lol&nbsp; It is only my heels though my hands and the rest of my body is fine.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:46 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I know what you mean about the potty thing, very inconveinient at times, driving down the road, riding down the trail with not "potty friendly" areas.&nbsp; lol #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I cannot make my self dring a glass of water if I am not thirsty....most of the time I forget anyway so there goes the day and I haven't drank enough water....chee there has got to be a better way.&nbsp; lol#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#lol hook us up to IV's #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ForPleasure » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mother has had the same problem all her life, and just recently she has found the one thing that has really worked for her... fish oil, taken orally in capsules. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
ForPleasure
Newbies
Newbies

Postby zooka » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:24 am

ForPleasure wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My mother has had the same problem all her life, and just recently she has found the one thing that has really worked for her... fish oil, taken orally in capsules. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/5.gif"#ed_cl#&nbsp; My mom used to make me take those as a kid.....&nbsp; It was not pleasant...&nbsp; If my heels get bad again though I'll sample that ....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Trufflemaker » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The German cream is call Gehwol, and it IS very good. Regular pedicures might be a good thing to try. A friend who has this problem goes for "heel maintenance" instead of a full pedicure. She pays $18 at a small salon instead of like $35 or more for a full pedicure. The Lee Valley Tools rasp is another good tool. Soak your feet until the skin is nice and soft, then scrape away the excess (outside or over the toilet to keep cleanup to a minimum!). Apply the Gehwol, and add a pair of socks to keep the moisture in. Good luck! Nothing worse than painful feet...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby bay mare » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, Gehwol is awesome stuff and I use it often too.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I do my heels weekly or else they start to get very rough and cracky.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Walking around in the house barefoot is my problem, Im constantly looking for those slippers lol.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Get yourself a good foot sander and&nbsp;after your shower or foot bath sand off any rough spots and then use your cream.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I&nbsp;put socks on&nbsp;afterwards too, it helps&nbsp;keep the moisture in.&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;I get my cream and supplies from the beauty supply outlets, they are better priced than the salons.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have used the mane and tail hoofmaker too, it is great stuff too.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Its very expensive at the tack shops, but you can usually find it at grocery superstore for like half the price.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; My husband loves the stuff for his hard working hands, and hes always got a tub of it around here!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
bay mare
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Clio » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:41 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To help soften the skin, try an&nbsp;Aveeno oatmeal bath--it works unbelievably quickly, and the oatmeal is very soothing (it sounds and looks gross, but the result is quite impressive!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Trufflemaker » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You might also want to try Badger Balm (from Lee Valley Tools). My elderly stepfather has dry skin and sores that won't heal, and he loves that stuff. I've never tried it on feet though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Return to EC Health Club