HELP! Can't sleep

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

HELP! Can't sleep

Postby lifeafterracing » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Does anyone have any ideas how I can stay asleep at night?  The last few nights I have woken up every 1-2 hrs. and taken up to an hour to get back to sleep.  Needless to say, I am wiped out.   I have tried camomile tea, sleepytime tea, warm milk, etc.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I NEED THIS! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/9.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby 2dapoint » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The biggest problem right there is that you are waking early (waay too early, but early).  That is the most difficult of sleep disorders to treat.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A slight sedative helps to get someone TO sleep, but to keep you from early waking is very difficult.  The usual cause (not unexpected in your case) is worry of some sort.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any of the sedatives that may help you to get back to sleep (gravol, nyquil, chamomile tea etc.) will take up to an hour to work, and will usually only work on a system that is ready for sleep anyways and just needs to "tune out" a little to get there.  By all means, you can try them (when you wake), but don't expect great success.  Your best bet is to probably find what is actually keeping your mind spinning and adrenaline levels high - and try to eliminate it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Other than that... got a good friend? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/19.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Due to interpretational difficulties inherent in written communications, I respectfully suggest you refer to your coach for the answer; Imitation is still the sincerest form of flattery. Thank you, it's quite a lovely feeling to be so appreciated.
2dapoint
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby lifeafterracing » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:19 pm

Shelley wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your best bet is to probably find what is actually keeping your mind spinning and adrenaline levels high - and try to eliminate it.
#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/6.gif"#ed_cl# But I don't want to give up my job! LOL#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#[/quote]Other than that... got a good friend? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/19.gif"#ed_cl#[/quote]#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Yes, I sure do.  She doesn't bonk me on the head though.  She's more into rolling the car window up on my elbow.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl# #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:32 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My goodness...I was listening to the John Tesh radio show and he was talking about what to do to stay asleep but I cannot remember for the life of me...you could try his site #ed_op#A href="http://www.johntesh.com"#ed_cl#www.johntesh.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# (I think that's it).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OH! I remember. Ok, most of the time when people wake up is due to stress and over thinking. You know, before you lay in bed you think, ok, tomorrow, I'm going to do this, this and this...ect and you have to think about it again and again to remember- this wakes people up or makes it hard to fall asleep (I have this problem sometimes).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To solve this, he suggest putting a notebook and pen by your bedside and whenever you get a thought, write it down. That way it is free from your mind and you will not forget. Then when you get into bed you can clear your mind and rest.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So you can write anything in the book- "remember to pick up dry cleaning", "Go see boss tomorrow", "talk to co-worker about new assignment"- whatever. Anything and everything, even problems you're having. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've heard of what GU is suggesting but that does not work for me although I am sure other people have found success with it.  I know how you must feel I have sleeping problems all the time and the biggest thing is trying to empty your head of all thoughts while you are trying to sleep.  The mind just becomes too over active and can not shut itself off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby lifeafterracing » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh zooka and Giddy Up, you guys are so right.  There are so many things whizzing around in my brain every night.   Every time I wake up I started planning my work day in my head.  Or I get up and go to the computer.  This is not a good idea because then I get so into surfing around that I wake up more.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going to try the notebook thing tonight.  Last night I had sleepytime tea and a mug of warm milk with honey.  I slept for a solid six hours and for the first time in a long while the alarm woke me up.  I am usually awake long before it goes off.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the suggestions people.  Keep them coming.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby Kobau » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just asking, are you really warm when you sleep? Just because with the temps we've been having my sleep at night has gone downhill... well along with getting off work at 10, making sure the store is shut down locked up tills balanced, and then going home and hoping bugs are down enough for horses to  go out... and knowing i need to be up at 6 am because of horses coming in due to bugs.... So i keep a fan on in my room, that keeps air flowing and it gives me white noise that i use to tune out everything...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#this would be one of those nights that I find really hard to sleep...  I do not know why there is nothing stressful, but I start these mind games where I feel uncomfy how i am lying and no matter how i move it is just not right...  really annoyed with my bf who hits the pillow asleep EVERY night #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/1.gif"#ed_cl# It would be nice to experience that once in awhile!!!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Other/9.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:59 am

How long have you had this problem? If it is just recently it could be weather related. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The humidity and polution can be really bad for sleeping in, even if you have ac or central air, you still get the atmosphere. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I know when the weather is sticky and hot like it is now I have trouble
sleeping as well. Last night I woke up constantly... not fun. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
When I cant sleep I usually just lay on my back and think about stuff
that makes me happy. A good time I had riding or with someone else, or
I just start dreaming about stuff Id like to do with xena. It really
helps relax you and you can get to sleep easier. Works for me. It just
depends on what the reason for your sleep deprivation is. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Another thing that works is get your bf to rub your back and arms while
you fall asleep, its good too, it gets you nice and relaxed. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MacnRio » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I get the "can't get comfy and can't fall asleep" often..... Or the too hot and can't sleep..... And the mind spinning too fast to sleep.... UGH. So frustrating.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#However, ever since my fall off my mare I've been going for massages to sort it out and my massage therapist suggested something to help relax....  Apparently, most people hyperventalate when they breath, just with every day breathing.  We don't know it, but we don't breath as deeply as we should.  She suggested a 3 part breathing exercise that really helps to relax me and put me in a sleepy state.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's what to do: Lie on your back or sit in a comfy chair relaxed. Put one hand on your abdomen, the other on your chest.  Start by filling your abdomen with air (through your nose), once your abdomen is full, start filling your chest, as high up to your neck as you can go, then, thru your mouth, exhale, starting with the air in your abdomen. Repeat for as little as 5 mins a day.  Your hands are placed on your abodmen and chest to feel what is expanding and contracting only.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, when you wake up, try the breathing.  If your the same as me, the more worried I am, or frustrated that I can't get back to sleep, the less likely I am to fall back asleep!  A vicious circle for sure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby lifeafterracing » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, time for an update.  I have been sleeping much better lately.  I think the problem was a combination of heat and an overworking mind.  I have been sleeping with a fan blowing on me, drinking sleepytime tea or warm milk with honey and nutmeg and doing deep breathing/progressive relaxation stuff.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#NOW I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM!  Since I am now sleeping more deeply, I am am having very vivid dreams.  Not only are they vivid, they are downright bizarre!  It is like going to the movies everynight.  I still wake up once during the night, but fall asleep again right away.  Then, most of the time I start a new dream.  Sometimes I carry on with the previous dream though.  Weird, eh?  I am enjoying my dreams so much that I don't want to get up in the morning.  I just want to have another dream LOL!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby cadence » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:59 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I second whoever mentioned the John Tesh site... I listen to him ALL the time.  He's got great ideas.  Another idea,,, try scented pads inside your pillow case.  Very softly scented herbal pillows can be very relaxing, such as chamomil flowers, lavender, all the "relaxing" scents.  I don't like the oils as I find them quite artificial and they give me headaches, but the real flowers that have been dried are lovely.  Scent can relax you, or zip you up, make you romantic, or make you feel good about yourself.  Just note that citrus will sharpen your awareness, so avoid that in your pillow. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patience! Practice! Persistence!
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#PS:  I also note that if I changed my laundry detergent to a different one, that can disturb my sleep for a few days. Stick with smells and sounds that are familiar.  Hopefully, your unsettled sleep is just a phase and you will slowly get back into your regular circadian rhythm.  Whenever I have to travel, I always bring my own pillow and comforter because I settle to sleep better with the familiar smells of home.  I guess I'm strange or perhaps neurotic! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, a scented bath in not too hot of water might help too - it gives you a chance to settle the events of the day in your head and puts your whirling brain to bed before you put your body into bed to rest.  Put lots of candles around the tub too and just relax - don't fall asleep in the water tho!!!  Getting your partner to give you a scented oil (in the relaxing scents) back massage might help too.  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby cadence » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:14 pm

lifeafterracing wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, time for an update.  I have been sleeping much better lately.  I think the problem was a combination of heat and an overworking mind.  I have been sleeping with a fan blowing on me, drinking sleepytime tea or warm milk with honey and nutmeg and doing deep breathing/progressive relaxation stuff.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#NOW I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM!  Since I am now sleeping more deeply, I am am having very vivid dreams.  Not only are they vivid, they are downright bizarre!  It is like going to the movies everynight.  I still wake up once during the night, but fall asleep again right away.  Then, most of the time I start a new dream.  Sometimes I carry on with the previous dream though.  Weird, eh?  I am enjoying my dreams so much that I don't want to get up in the morning.  I just want to have another dream LOL!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This could be because you have been lacking REM sleep, which is the dream phase.  If you get your sleep cycle badly disrupted, you will eventually catch up and you will fall into REM sleep very quickly.  REM is what recharges your brain so you are able to use your memory, learning, etc.  That's why when you have disrupted sleep and poor REM, you struggle with your memory, concentration, inability to learn new concepts (for those of you in school, get lots of sleep)... severe lack of sleep can cause a person to have brief black-outs at any given point in time, often reported by professional drivers (their eyes are wide open but their brain clicks "off" briefly - we've all experienced it... suddenly can't remember that last 5 seconds or how we got into the lane we suddenly "found" ourselves in - it's a big warning flag to pull over and recharge your batteries).  Very severe lack of sleep can bring a normal person into a psychotic episode with hallucinations, bizarre behavior, poor motor and nervous control, and eventually in about 30 to 45 days you can die. So, you are probably getting vivid dreams because you need to catch-up.  It should pass in a short while.  :)   My husband was working 2 jobs about 7 years ago and not getting enough sleep.  One morning, he was driving me to work and I noticed he was not making the right preparations for the upcoming corner... his eyes were wide open but he wasn't there.  I shouted "WAKE UP!" just in time for the corner.  After that, I insisted he quit the second job.  It just wasn't worth his life, mine or someone else's on the road around him.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some people think that wine, cheese, peanut butter, and other foods make them dream much more vividly.  Perhaps try eliminating some of those things and see if that helps.  Otherwise, just give your body a chance to catch up.  Glad to hear you're sleeping more thoroughly, but still I suggest trying the various tricks posted above, especially the warm baths and relaxation techniques.  Remember, chamomil tea, nighty-night tea, etc. are herbal teas and therefore mild DRUGS.  Most drugs (except synthetic ones) are made from HERBS.  Try cutting back on the teas.  People mistakenly think that because this is an herb that it is not a drug and therefore safe... not so.  All herbs have drug properties so use sparingly.  These teas will put you to sleep but not necessarily KEEP you that way, so cut back and try to eliminate by weaning down first.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
cadence
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ruth » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some of you may remember that I have had some issues with waking too early. I fall asleep no problem, but wake up after a few hours and can't get back to sleep. I've been much better lately and here's what I do.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sit down and relax for at least a half hour before bed. Do nothing that stimulates thought.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some nights, if I know I'm a little wound, I take Valerian. The pharmacist my mom works with advises to take it right before you go to bed if you are having trouble staying asleep, or 45 minutes before bed if the problem is falling asleep. It's a root and is available off the shelf at any pharmacy. No "hangover" or drowsiness in the morning. Valerian is also supposed to improve REM sleep. I don't find that it's a miracle cure, but it has saved me from resorting to RX sleeping pills. I was at that point.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are having vivid dreams it could be from sugar. I have had problems with that in the past too.  I can have sugar in the evening, just not too close to bedtime.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lack of sleep is awful.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby lifeafterracing » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth, what form do you take the valerian in?  I tried the tea quite a few years ago and the smell/taste was terrible.  It was effective though.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have been sleeping a bit better.  Just the odd nights where I wake up too early.  It's interesting about the dreams/sugar possible relationship.  I have a really sweet tooth.  My mom always told me not to eat cheese before going to bed or I would have crazy dreams.  Help!  No sweet stuff or cheese as a bedtime snack?  Oh no!  What to do, what to do.  Other snacks are boring.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby Ruth » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I take them in pill form. Even those smell bad enough, but they only have to be out of the container long enough to get into my mouth. I can't imagine how awful the tea would smell!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't snack in the evening, but I don't often get supper before 9:30, so there's really no need. I've never been one to sit there with snacks in front of the TV anyway.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to EC Health Club