Celiac Disease

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Celiac Disease

Postby Chisholm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:17 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I just found out there is a very good chance I have Celiac Disease.  I have to have a test done that will test me for Gluten.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And to top things off I am also sensitive to yeast, which I already knew.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And with all the reading I am doing I see it so clearly that it very well could be the problem.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The one test though I have to get done through the States, luckily it's not too expensive.  It will be interesting just going through the whole process.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But the weird part of all this was 6 years ago I went on a gluten free, corn free diet.  But no one bothered to tell me that rye is included in the band foods for gluten.  UGH.  Back to rice and tapico breads.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:38 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#wow that does not sound like fun!!!  It is wierd though that you have to go to the states for a test, does Canada not have the technology or is it a type of test that there is a long wait for, if you do not mind me asking?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They don't have this particular test is my understanding.  I have to look more into what the test is before I know the whys.  That's todays project.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby MacnRio » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:25 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My cousin is a Celiac.  Must get frustrating as to what you can eat and where you can buy the foods you can eat. Special pastas, bread, etc.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck! I know my cousin was a mess until they found out what it was. Now she's great.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Luckily I have been down this road most of the way once before but just not for the same reasons, and not as serious.  So I know where to buy foods etc...  But it sure is an experience shopping.  I don't wish on anyone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Glad to hear though that it's worth the effort.  I have been trying to find the answer for years.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Cheryl » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am celiac myself.  I got the test done at the hospital.  If you go to a lab it costs money but free at the hospital.  Fortuantly these days gluten free products are easier to get, to the point I even have a favourite brand.  I just buy it at the grocery store too. (brown rice with honey yummy)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My test showed I was not celiac but my food diary says I am.  My Dr. says it is possible to get false negatives which I fall under.  He is celiac himself.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby Chisholm » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cheryl my Dr. feels the test in the states is more acurate then what we have here currently, I am just going online now to see why.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I may just be coming to ask you what foods are what.  Do you find a really difference staying gluten free?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Megan Ball » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My step mom is a Celiac and you have to go see a gastroenterologist(sp?) But you can wait several months just to make an appt. My step mom just put herself on the gluten free diet and she's back down to normal, but you have to be careful of eating out. They put all kinds of glutens in recipies!!! Good luck and hopefully be pain free#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley31.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rocket - TB
Kenzie - Arabian
Peanut - pony
Toffee - Welsh x pony
Whisper - Spotted Draft
Megan Ball

Postby Cheryl » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It doesn't matter what the test says if eating gluten free works for you.  I find that I have a certain tolerance for wheat and it is when I get overloaded that I get affected.  Unfortuantly I can't tell when it will be.  Sometimes I don't care and the conciquences are worth it.  ie Brownie Earthquakes from Dairy Queen lol.  Because of excuses like that is why I try to eat gluten free when I can so I can enjoy it for when I want to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:13 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hope you find out what is going on Chish!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've never heard of Celiac disease before, so I looked it up. Atleast is seems to be manageable, and I hope so for you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Trufflemaker » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We had one of our children tested for Celiac by a clinic in the States. The results showed that he does not carry the celiac gene, but that he has a "genetic predisposition to gluten sensitivity". So, it is possible to be gluten-sensitive but not actually celiac. And it is possible for tests to be false negative too. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It is kind of hard to get started on the gluten-free way of life, but it is not impossible, and once you know what to look for you will be fine. You can't have anything with wheat, rye, barley, oats, triticale, spelt, or kamut. Oats do not have gluten themselves but are highly cross-contaminated through crop rotation and storage. There are gluten-free products available even at Loblaws, and there are lots of websites and recipe books available. #ed_op#A href="http://www.glutenfree101.com"#ed_cl#www.glutenfree101.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# is a good site, and the author of that site has published some cookbooks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is a FIND for you celiacs: a recipe for drop-dead gorgeous chocolate cake. It's a Nigella Lawson recipe and easy-peasy to make. I made it at the cottage for guests, and my gluten-free son was thrilled that he could eat the same dessert as everyone else for a change. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chocolate Orange Cake#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2 small or 1 large thin-skinned orange, approx. 375 g total weight #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#6 eggs#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1 heaped teaspoon baking powder#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1/2 teaspoon baking soda#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#200 g ground almonds#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#250 g fine sugar#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#50 g cocoa powder#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#orange peel for decoration if desired#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Put the orange(s) in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours or until soft. Drain and, when cool, cut in half and remove any seeds. (You can do this the day before if you're organized.) Then pulp everything in a food processor. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Once the fruit is cool, preheat the oven to 350F. Butter and line a 20 cm springform pan.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Add everything else to the food processor and whiz it up together. Pour into cake pan and bake for an hour. Check after 45 minutes in case you have to cover with foil to prevent burning edges before cake is cooked through. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Leave the cake to cool in the pan, on a cooling rack. Remove to cake plate when it is cool. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby Chisholm » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Trufflemarker, for myself that chocolate cake is off my list.  I am food intolerant to chocolate as well.  I don't even like chocolate, just like I don't like coffee and both are high on my list of food intolerances.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But thanks for the other info.   I hope I do not have celiac disease but am just sensitive.  We shall see in a couple of weeks I hope.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Trufflemaker » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, too bad about the chocolate! Lucky for you that you don't like the things you shouldn't have. My son is like that too. He is also sensitive to milk, which makes things twice as hard as if he was just sensitive to gluten. Good luck with your test. Which lab is doing it?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby Clio » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:46 pm

ARRGHH. Computer ate my post!

Okay, short version:
I'm so sorry to hear about your (potential) diagnosis. My bf's mother is Celiac, so I've had some second-hand experience with how it's managed. Since she was diagnosed and managed to restrict her gluten intake, she feels much, much better, though.

Just two suggestions:
http://www.sfu.ca/~jfremont/celiaclinks.html
The Edmonton Chapter is particularly well-organized (that's the one my bf's mother is a part of).

And, if you want to eat out: Il Fornello serves gluten-free pasta and pizzas and good food for those who can manage gluten, so it's a great place to go. The franchise is expanding, so maybe there is one in your area?

Good luck! It will probably be a relief, though, once you finally have this sorted out...
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Return to EC Health Club