The Plan --> or near enough!

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

The Plan --> or near enough!

Postby Dream_Merchant » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:31 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#609a9f size=2#ed_cl#Ok - the plan is to loose weight and get down to about 70kg if I can.... Mainly to keep the weight off my horses backs when jumping, and also to look better, healthier and such, and to trim up a bit.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#I must:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#-- start eating a little healthier#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#609a9f size=2#ed_cl#-- go for a run at least, or do some kind of excerise apart from working all the crew#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#609a9f size=2#ed_cl#-- cut down on the sugar in my coffee and tea (I have two spoons of sugar in each)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#609a9f size=2#ed_cl#-- I honestly drink WAY too much coffee, so yer, should cut down on that more, and possibly drink more tea and water instead, as tea has more anitoxidants and all that in it.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#-- eat more fruit instead of chocolate and crap in between main meals.#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Ok -- so any suggestions guys?? I mean, did anything help you to loose weight/trim up etc?? All the help would be good! And I'll keep you posted to how it all goes!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby chenders01 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I lost 62 pounds in about 8 months...I'd like to lose another 8 but they just won't come off, probably because I haven't ridden my horse in 3 weeks and do *nothing* else for exercise besides riding &lt;sigh&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Anyway...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your Plan sounds good.&nbsp; Definitely cut down on coffee...and for SURE cut out all that yicky sugar!&nbsp; Slowly start weaning yourself off of it...so, instead of 2 teaspoons each time, cut down to 1-1/2.&nbsp; Once you're used to that amount, cut down to 1tsp and so on, until you're down to none.&nbsp; You could also try sweetening with artificial sweetener (do you get Sweet &amp; Lo there?).&nbsp; Replace all that coffee you're drinking with water.&nbsp; Put lemon in it to make it taste better.&nbsp; Or if you're not into water, herbal caffeine-free tea is good too.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Healthy foods...yes, fruit instead of "chocolate and crap" is good.&nbsp; Also, lots of veggies.&nbsp; My lunch every day is a salad with some form of protein on it (cheese, hard-boiled egg, cooked chicken, tuna).&nbsp; At suppertime, veggies should dominate your plate and if you eat starch (potato, rice, noodles) only eat a small handful.&nbsp; Eat chicken and fish&nbsp;more often than you eat&nbsp;red meat.&nbsp; Don't eat after 8pm.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And yes, exercise (this is where I really fall down).&nbsp; You need to increase your cardio in order to burn calories.&nbsp; We've been having such a brutal&nbsp;HOT summer here in southern Ontario that I just haven't felt like sweating my arse off riding.&nbsp; I don't even feel like going outside when it feels like 40C due to the humidity!&nbsp; The key to exercise is to find an activity that you ENJOY doing and then keep doing it.&nbsp; My problem is that the only physical activity&nbsp;I enjoy is riding (can you tell that I'm feeling like a BLIMP lately??) LOL!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyways, good luck!&nbsp; If you have someone to be accountable to, it's much easier to stick with any&nbsp;diet.&nbsp; Having to weigh yourself in front of somebody makes you that much more motivated to keep going, versus when you're just doing it on your own.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck DM!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some healthy things I like eating are vector cereal, raisen bran, granola bars, fruite and veggies. Make sure you drink lots of water and juices ect. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you have bran or high fiber foods it will help your digestive system really good. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No kunky food like mcdonalds or anything. If you really like chips and stuff keep it to a weekend thing. Just because your dieting or eating helthy doesnt mean you cant have some junk food type stuff every once in awhile. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rollerblading is really good excersize. So is doing interval training with your horse haha. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your plan sounds good!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would say that if you're eating junk, try to cut it out almost completely- like sure, have the occasional cookie, bowl of ice cream or chips at a party, but try to cut out the fast food and as much sugar as possible.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually, you can run into that problem with juice- it's full of sugars- however, still healtier than pop! I would try to get rid of the coffee- switch to green tea- apparently, so I hear on the John Tesh radio show, that if you switch from coffee to green tea you can loose 10 pounds in one month, and that's giving up coffee completely! (Unfortunately I don't drink coffee in the first place, so I cannot atest to this)&nbsp;I would suggest sweeting with honey because then you run into aspartame with sweetners. Also, remember to drink your water! Atleast 8 glasses a day. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for the 8pm eating thing- it's actually supposed to be stop eating 2-3hrs before bed (although the 8pm is givin as a general- but this could cause some problems with a few people- like if you work night shift, you're not awake in the day to eat). I say to be careful of this because if you go to bed late and aren't eating late enough you can wake up starving- leading to over eating. But yes, definitely be careful of eating at night, because alot of the time, it is really just mood related.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also remember you are supposed to eat your biggest meal at breakfast then taper your meal portions down (this is where I struggle- dinner is definitely my biggest). Also eat the bulk of carbs in the day and taper those down too- remember that the body starts to slow down its processes as the day progress (to get ready for sleep). #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Clio » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've found that the best healthy breakfast suggested to me so far is Museli with nuts and seeds.&nbsp; I buy a Museli that contains&nbsp;50% protein coming from fruit and nuts, and then I throw flax seeds (oh, you should see my skin and hair!!!) and a handful of sesame seeds (unsalted not salted!--I made that mistake the first week and wanted to throw up all day long...) for extra protein.&nbsp; The seeds are good fats--they help you metabolize other foods better, and it seriously keeps you going energy-wise.&nbsp; Plus, I found out that my drinking skim milk (no-fat milk--I don't know what you call it&nbsp;in Australia) all these years has been working against me; we need the fat in the 2% milk to properly absorb the vitamins in milk (which also helps you metabolize other foods).&nbsp; Otherwise, it just washes right through you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm one of those who needs a really hearty breakfast or I'm just dying by 10 o'clock, and I've been so surprised to find this works.&nbsp; As well, you can have as much of it as you want--it is the most important meal of the day!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh, and I discovered the "healthy" equivalent of Gatorade (which has 42 grams of sugar!).&nbsp; A banana (potassium), coupled with a handful of peanuts (salted, this time, to replace the salt you've lost, and protein for energy) and water.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Can you tell that I've just been to a dietician?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Clio
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hear ya on that Gatorade! I just heard on the John Tesh radio show that apparently its much worse at rotting your teeth than pop! It's becuase of the sugar and acids in it...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#juices do have sugars but remember, our bodies do NEED some sugar. You just doent need to over eat the sugary stuff. Cranberry juice is sooooo yummy and good for you. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The healthier your body is the better it will be at processing and digesting foods...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That's true, cranberry juice is very good for you- especially the digestive system. So then concerning juice, you have to look for juices that are as close to 100% pure juice as possible.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Eat blueberries are really good for you- one of the best fruits out there for your body. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:46 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#there is a reason why gatorade is good though, because it is a product with both salts and sugars it means that your body has a quicker uptake, which is needed if you drink gatorade at times when needed. Such as after major activities, such as a soccer game, riding an xc course in humid weather... ya get the point. Drinking it any other time is not healthy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Make sure you are eating a good healthy breakfast, try switching to splenda because it is lower calorie, but is made from sugar. I can't have the artifical gunk cause aspartame makes me ill.. Also , make sure that you are doing at least 30 min activity in the day that gets your heartrate up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You need a good amount of carbs, protiens and sugars etc for your body to function. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now if you really want to lose weight, move out to Manitoba and you can help me trim 20+ horses feet, plus they fun hauling in of hay, stacking, building fences, pushing mowers, and all that other fun stuff;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Rio Roulette » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:42 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, DW, you were SO kind to share your show jumper surgery story with me, I'll share this one with you - hope I don't bore you to tears.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was always slim till middle age, then my weight crept up (overnight ;) ) to 185 -&nbsp; I saw a picture of myself one day and freaked. (I was on a riding hiatus during that time). I tried a lot of diets, nothing worked till I did Atkins - lost 45 pounds and kept it off - got fit yada yada. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Fell off my horse, was injured but didn't know it - took 2 years with accupuncture, massage and finaly a chiro to fix what had jarred in me. By then I'd gotten away from exercise (it hurt) and gained back 20 pounds - so then I'm hovering around 161+ (not happy!!!!). Got back on track 2 weeks ago and I'm down 10 pounds this morning at 151.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Through all this dieting (and being successful), trying hundreds of different things. Here are the secrets I have learned: #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1) Everybody has a way of eating that works for them in terms of weight loss. There is no "right way" for everybody. Each person discovers this by themselves. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2) Take supplements, whatever choices you make about dieting. It is a fact that your body will hold on to excess fat if it thinks you are trying to kill it through starvation.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3)You can eat too little to lose weight. Like point #1, you have an ideal caloric intake at which your body will lose weight. Go under it, and you stop losing weight. Because of the point in #2. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#4) Count calories. Even if you are on a plan that claims "you don't have to count calories every again". They are lying. Count them.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#5) You are told you can't "target lose" (lose weight from a particular area) but you CAN target build (tone and firm the muscle in that area). And this makes it appear as if you have target lost. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#6) There is only one golden formula of losing weight. You must use up more calories than you take in. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#7) Discipline helps but is not totally necessary, you CAN cheat and still lose. It just takes longer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#8) Water, Water, Water.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#xena - I have to dispell your myth - our bodies don't need sugar. I will not die from never eating another Twinkie. I think you may mean that our bodies need carbohydrate (they dont' need simple sugars) When losing weight we WANT our bodies to shed stored fat. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chemically the way to do this is to restrict carbohydrates. The body choses what it will use for fuel and it is lazy, it will burn fuel in the order of how easy it is to burn. The order of the body's choice is as follows:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1) achohol (the easiest to burn)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2) ingested carbohydrates (the simple sugars, starches&nbsp;we eat, and then complex carbs)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3) stored body fat#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only way to get the body to burn stored fat as fuel is to stop providing the other forms of fuel. Then it has no choice. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Kobau » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As a nurse i have to comment, One in order for your body to efficiently take up necessary salts etc, you do need sugars, albeit the simple ones. When the name of the process(proper name) comes to mind a lil later(after i eat and drink my tea) i'll post it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have no problem with those that chose atkins as a diet plan, just remember that when you start atkins you are forcing your body into ketosis, which is a state that your body goes into when not getting the neccessary amounts of Carbohydrates. You need a certain amount in your daily diet for your body cells to function #ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl#properly#ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl# they can function when you have less than needed but over time you will cause damage, to basic cells and internal organs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The reason i don't have a problem with Atkins is that my BF has done the plan, but he also made sure to add back in the good healthy carbs after a short while. He switched to whole wheat bread, and healthier choices when it came to foods. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also something i didn't see mentioned.. in order to lose weight, get fit and healthy and maintain that, you do not diet, you make lifestyle changes. The word diet for many implies something that you do and then can quit. This is the cause for many ppl yo-yoing weight wise. If you chose to make healthy lifestyle choices and that is including food, and excercise then you have a much higher likelyhood of being able to lose and keep the weight off.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do know it is hard if you've been injured, if you are a student or if you have a job that requires alot of sitting...but well it must be possible..heheh i'm dealing with all this myself as i'm a student, do alot of driving and have been injured a time or two. Right now i'm just working on making sure i have healthier choices around me if i'm snacky ec.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cellular respiration?? The old, one molecule of Glucose, broken down = water and ATP?? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Rio Roulette » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I say the body doesn't need sugar - I'm talking about the white stuff that comes from cane. I agree that the body needs glucose - but it can get glucose from processing foods that don't contain processed sugar. I can get glucose in my system from eating peas, corn and carrots. I don't need the Oreo cookie :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Rio Roulette » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:10 pm

Kobau wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The reason i don't have a problem with Atkins is that my BF has done the plan, but he also made sure to add back in the good healthy carbs after a short while. He switched to whole wheat bread, and healthier choices when it came to foods. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nothing against you. This is a universal misconception. Adding the whole wheat and "health carbs" back in, #ed_op#U#ed_cl#IS the Atkins plan#ed_op#/U#ed_cl#. Too many people think Atkins is all about eating steak and butter for the rest of your life - but it's not. Even the first 2 weeks of detox on Atkins&nbsp;you are eating green beans, cauliflower, broccoli and green salads. Those are healthy carbs too!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#mmmm i sure need the oreo cookie.........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What I meant was natural sugars from natural juices ect... not the white sugar hehe. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio, i never said anything bad, i've read the book, i've dealt with pts that have done atkins, i've seen the studies that show the amount of carbs, sugars and protiens a body needs to function properly. I know that atkins says you have to add healthy carbs back in, THAT would be why i don't have anything against atkins. ... guess i didn't word that clearly enough the first time. Most ppl that "do atkins" don't follow it properly and add carbs back in. those that do, such as yourself and my bf are the rare ones it seems that do follow the plan that atkins lays out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#nope it is an uptake system i'm thinking of... it is something we talked about quite a bit in advanced physiology.. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Rio Roulette » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I guess I'm oversensitive - I've had to defend that plan for years. Even after the poor guy died the media was still referring to his "protein and fat diet". #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/disappointed.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/devious.gif"#ed_cl#. Drives me crazy. After trying weight watchers, the cabbage diet, the grapefruit diet, you name it - Atkins plan was the only one that saved my bacon (no pun intended). I'm one of those who has a real sensitivity to weight gain when I eat rice, flour, potatoes, sugar... all the "white" stuff. People kept telling me I was going to die and all I did was lose 45 pounds over 2 years and become the most energized and healthy I've ever been in my life.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My Type 2 diabetic husband even tried Atkins for a while and lost 20 pounds and was able to get off his oral diabetic medications as his blood sugars were totally managable by diet alone. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nobody seems to realize that the Atkins plan is in fact the diabetic diet of several decades ago. More people seem to have forgotten that we used to call diabetes "sugar diabetes". #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dream_Merchant » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:06 am

<font face='times new roman' size=2 color=#609A9F><i>
*reads the part about cutting out coffee for good*

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*clears throat* OMG, you CAN'T make me give up my coffee!! Well, not COMPELTELY at least hahaha -- I'm addicted I found out, because I get chronic headaches if I don't have my two or three morning cups of coffee. As soon as I have a coffee, bam the headache is gone... and it doesn't matter how much panadol or neurophen I take, it doesn't kill it...

RIO --> Thank you for sharing your story in return, it was an interesting read, in fact, everyone's was very interesting...

I heard that the best way is to build and tone the muscle in your body -- this is because the more muscle tone you have, the more fat you will naturally burn. If you don't have good muscle tone and fitness, you will burn less body fat... if that makes any sense to you. I know what they were talking about, but I just can't repeat their whole techniqual, fancy mumbo jumbo.

I've lost like 0.5kg... woo.... hoo ... hahaha, at least it's a start, and I haven't really actually 'started' - I need to do the whole, get outta bed, do a few sit ups and scissor thingos *lay on the side and lift your top leg up and down, and the same with other side* before I actually get out of bed - then drink one glass of water to start off with before I even think about putting on the kettle... then put the kettle on and have one cup of coffee with 1.5 sugars *cut down by 1/2 to start with*... then have a cup of tea instead of my usual second coffee. I think for me its going to be about cutting out my bad habits slowly, especially the coffee thing.

Thanks again guys, all your suggestions have been totally fantastic!! I feel guilty about that mint slice cookie I had now *slinks off*</i></font>
<font color=royalblue><i><b>Horse; you are truly a creature without equal - for you fly without wings, and conquer without a sword

NCAS Level One Coach</i></b></font>
Dream_Merchant

Postby Kobau » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Rio, I can see why you would be sensitive about atkins, the media has managed to give it a bad name. Though if many read the book they would realise you do add back in the healthy carbs. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can do it DM, i'm down to 144 lbs... so about 66-67 kg i think that is... and while i do want to lose a lil bit more, i'm quite happy to take my time! it is the slow cutting of some habits that is hardest i swear!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Rio Roulette » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, Dream_Merchant and Kobau - Congrats and cheers to you both! Keep it up.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have 10 more pounds to lose by December - I'm riding in a Paul Belasik short course for a week, and I have to be FIT FIT FIT in order not to make a complete a$$ of myself. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck to us all, lets keep each other posted about our progress. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Next

Return to EC Health Club