Trouble with asthma - UPDATE

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Trouble with asthma - UPDATE

Postby Ruth » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:12 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ok, I'm looking for some suggestions here. Before I get rolling on this I do have an appt. booked with my doctor for Sept. 12 about this.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was diagnosed with asthma around 10 years ago. I quit smoking over 3 years ago.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Other than the initial attack I have never really needed to use my puffers. They gave me Beclovent and a broncodilator once I came off the Prednisone, but unless I had a cold or it was especially humid or cold I've never used them regularly, particularly the broncodilator.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Over last winter I found I did have to stay on the Beclovent, but still not the full dosage. However this summer, OMG, I just am not breathing properly even on the full dosage. It took about a week to get breathing better after the last smog attack, and I had been gradually improving and was pretty close to normal up until today.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My whole life is one big asthma trigger - I live on the 400, I commute to work (no A/C in either house or car), I have horses at home and I ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I'm wondering what else I can do to avoid being on Prednisone full time, any alternative remedies, etc. Short of selling all my horses, my home, quitting my job, or walking around in a mask 24/7.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My other question is related to the broncodilator as I have never used it much. I found this summer that it didn't really make any difference, but am wondering if I am not using it properly. Should I start using it at the first sign of shortness of breath? I tend to wait until I'm really feeling short of breath, and I was wondering if it might work better if I used it when I first feel breathless.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by Ruth on Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Serenity » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:06 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey, how are you? I was reading your post and I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I have asthma, I have had it since I was born and it is pretty severe. I am also allergic to horses, dogs, cats, hay, dust ect. and I have a horse and 2 dogs. I smoke and one of my lungs collapsed last year. So trust me, I know the feeling. The only puffer that works for me is Ventolin (the blue puffer) it opens your lungs and helps you breathe....and then it's side kick, Flovent (the orange/brown puffer) actually gets down and dirty, lol. It kills the germs that cause weezing, shortness of breath ect and you take that after the Ventolin. Also, there is a pill called Singular...it's an asthma pill and I was on it and found it to work wonders, my asthma was incredibly controlable while I was on that. So if you find you are having trouble everyday, it may be a good idea for you to get the Ventolin and Flovent. Takes 2 puffs of each morning and night, along with the Singular (one a day) and then just take the Ventolin when you need it. This is what I do, also when I go to the barn I take an allergy pill. Ask your doctor about this. As I said, I have had asthma all my life, up until I was about 11 years old I made regular runs to the emergency room at the hospital. I was always being rushed there. I had an average of 5 asthma attacks a month...and I mean BAD asthma attacks, hyperventalating (sp?) blue lips, not concious ect. I have tried numerous puffers, pills, discs, needles and what works for me is the Ventolin (AMAZING) the flovent and the singular. The flovent and singular work over time and after a while of being on them you notice a difference, but the Ventolin works in a matter of seconds, so it's great when you can't breath. Hope this helps, good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~* Serenity Love *~
Serenity
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Cheryl » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#First things first.  Check the expiry date on your meds.  They no longer make Beclovent & haven't for quite a while.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Second of all these days there are many options compared to Prednisone.  The two meds that you have there do 2 completely different things.  The steroid one is the one that you should be taking on a regular basiss.  This one will help prevent attacks by keeping the inflamation in the lungs down.  Always rinse mouth after use.  The other one is the broncodialator.  This one will stop an active attack.  How often do you need to use this inhaler?  There are new guide lines out for how much is too much.  If for example your breathing wakes you up more than once every 2 weeks or if you use it more than twice a week than you need to discuss better control with your Dr.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Think of your lungs like a straw.  Hense why if you wait quite a while till you use it, it has to work that much harder.  There is more swelling to reduce and why you would have to use more puffs for control.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As a tip if you are using both inhalers at the same time frame, use your broncodialator first, wait 10 min then use your steriod inhaler.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I lift my margarita and drink a salute to Marty, Quarter Horse Extraordinaire, Most Pleasant Packer, Companion To The End. May his suffering be little, his passing be easy and may we find each other again, drawn by love and kindred spirit.
Cheryl

Postby Kerri » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:11 pm

I'm also a very long-time asthma sufferer - since kindergarten. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I've always used Ventolin, and it works great for attacks (except for
the extreme attacks where nothing really works - very scary when that
happens). #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
But the trick for me is being on a good preventative. I started on
Advair about a year ago (purple spray) and rarely take the Ventolin now
- which is a good thing because too much Ventolin makes me sick (get
the shakes, heart rate up...and I have a heard condition too so that's
not good!). #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I take Advair daily and it's really made a world of difference.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Kerri
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Ruth » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The puffers aren't expired. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What I referred to as Beclovent is not actually brand-name Beclovent, and they have updated me to QVar, which is the same corticosteroid, but has twice the dosage per puff but I use less puffs. It is a brown puffer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The blue one is also under the brand-name QVar, and I believe it is the same drug as Ventolin. That's what I find quite disturbing is that it doesn't seem to do much for me.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Today I am breathing just fine. Like I don't even have asthma. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks for the suggestions of Advair and Singular, if my doctor tries to put me on pred full time I will ask about them. It has been quite some time since I was diagnosed, and like I said I've never had any problems before this past year so I'm pretty uneducated about other options.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Cheryl » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The problem with relying on Ventolin is your body does become used to it & therefore it doesn't work as well as it should when you do use it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#One thing I find many Dr.'s don't recommend which they should is an aerochamber.  It is a device that helps you breath in your dosage better.  Studies show that you cannot have your technique of breathing in & pressing down on the canister nearly as well as using an aerochamber.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you are saying today it is not like you have asthma you really do need to see your Dr.  You should feel like this everyday.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby Ruth » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't rely on Ventolin, in fact I used to lose it and it would expire before I ever used it. I hardly ever use it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have an aerochamber, but with the new QVar inhalers you are not supposed to use it. Also the end you suck on (for lack of a better way of putting it) is rounder and doesn't fit in my aerochamber. If it was recommended I would go out and get a new aerochamber with the appropriate size opening, no problem.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yes, this is how I should feel every day, and I used to, up until this spring/summer, and even if I have no further trouble between now and then I am keeping the appt. I booked with my doctor.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cheryl, that did make me think though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Perhaps I will mention to my doctor that maybe the QVar doesn't work as well for me and that I can't use the aerochamber with it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Cheryl » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So do you have an update?  I see no reason BTW on why you can't use the aerochamber with the Qvar.  Just smush it in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby Ruth » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I go to the doctor on Monday. I have tried smushing the QVar in the aerochamber, although I will admit not very aggressively. I don't think it would provide much of a seal if I do manage to get it in there, though. I'm pretty much the same, absolutely fine for a few days and then I will go do something stupid like decide to stand in a patch of goldenrod while I lunge a horse and can't breathe for two days afterwards. We'll see what he says.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Ruth » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So we are going to try Singulair in addition to the corticosteroid. The pharmacist told me it might take a week before I feel any different, but I have only taken it two nights and feel a bit of improvement, which is pretty good considering we're on smog day #2 today. Usually I would be a little worse than usual right about now. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We talked about Advair or Serevent, but decided that seeing as I don't generally use the bronchodilator anyway that it made more sense to try the Singulair first.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I asked about the aerochamber and he said that while it wouldn't hurt to use it that it doesn't make any difference with the QVar because QVar has much smaller molecules than what I was on before.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I did try smushing it into the aerochamber harder and did get it in there though!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Cheryl » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ruth, I just got notice today that there is a new aerochamber out that will fit the Qvar.  Would make life easier as it would be designed for it.  The size of the molecules has nothing to do with why one would or would not use the aerochamber.  It is the technique one uses when breathing in from the inhaler on its own.  In other words if you spray the whole thing in your mouth compared to it getting all the way down into your lungs it doesn't matter at all how big those molecules are.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cheryl

Postby Ruth » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Seeing as the smushing worked I may try it just to see anyway. Won't hurt.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Return to EC Health Club