Abs?

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Abs?

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma color=#8000ff#ed_cl#hey guys... I recently lost a fair amount of weight...went from about 132 down to 115....   but now my once-fat belly is flabby... I want ABS!   Anyone out there have some suggestions for toning up abs and getting that 6-pack look?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby tbbrat » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Crunches, situps - there's no easy way, you gotta work the muscles.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BarnBratCSA » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah, they work, but they're tough on my back.  A friend has suggested something about using the chin-up bar thingy at the gym and then doing certain leg kicks.... i dunno, I gotta get more info! hehe#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby chenders01 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're doing sit-ups properly, they shouldn't hurt your back.  You don't lift your whole torso up like used to be done in the "olden days".  You just lift your shoulders off the ground.  Keep your neck straight and don't use your arms to pull your head up.  Your hands should actually be at the side of your head.  You want to use your stomach muscles to lift your shoulders up, not your neck.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby babytigger » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh but chenders....those are soooo much work!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses do think. Not very deeply, perhaps, but enough to get you into a lot of trouble." - Unknown
babytigger
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: there's no place like home! there's no place like home!

Postby chenders01 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah...that's why I don't do them LOL!!  No Abs of Steel here, nosiree...just Abs of Flab  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#crunches with your legs straight out and lifted at 45 degree angle from the floor and bicycle crunches twisting your upper body so that your elbow meets your opposite knee.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They are hard but effective if you do enough.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Rio Roulette » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Pilates and yoga - but also, remember you need to engage your abdominal muscles at about 25% capacity #ed_op#U#ed_cl#all day long#ed_op#/U#ed_cl#. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Too often we do 50 crunches in 15 minutes and spend the next 17 3/4 hours walking around with our stomach and lower back muscles (the girdle) all loosey-goosey. That's no good. You have to USE your abs all the time, to go up stairs, lifting, reaching, getting up from a chair, walking, even driving the car. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Rio Roulette
Groupie
Groupie

Postby xena_n_joss » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I do crunches... tons and tons and tons of cruches.. and when I actually do them daily I see a difference hehe. I hold my legs up and bent though, it makes your tummy work harder. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Instead of the traditional sit ups, you can do the bridge- where you balance in a plank position on your toes and your forearms- keep the abs tucked in (you could probably find a picture on the internet). You can also get a stability ball and try crunches on that- it might be more cushioning on your back, or you put your knees on the ball and your palms on the floor, then using your legs and keeping your abs in, roll the ball out away from you and then back in (I LOVE this one). Anything where you are bringing your legs into your body is going to work the lower abs more so, where as the crunch works the upper abs. You could also do the v-sit from pilates. Sit in a v position- upper body and legs up, and you hold your arms out to the side (but still parallel to the body) moving them in small circles to keep your balanced. Oh, you can also lay on your back with your legs point straight up into the air and spell your name with your legs, moving around in a full range of motion- use your abs to pull your legs back to the start and to push them away from the start. Also, in the same position, have someone gently "throw" your legs front/back, side/side and you must use your abs to pull them back to the straight up starting position.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Those are a few I have had experience with- there are actually alot of ab workouts that you can do that you don't have to do traditional crunches. Although with crunches I find the surface you do them on plays a big part- I need to sit somewhere cushy or else it hurts my spine, and I personally have to support my neck with my hands. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#When your doing crunches make sure your lower back is pressing into the floor.  You really have to focus to keep it from arching.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Something to try is a Palatis Ball.  You do the crunches while you are sitting on the ball.  I find it seems really easy to do the crunches, doesn't hurt my back at all.  Then about 2 hrs after doing a bunch of the crunches my abs feel really tight - so I know that its working - lol.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Here's a really good excercise for obliques:   using a small weight ball or I guess a hand weight would work too. (4 to 6 lbs)  Start in a sitting position (like your going to do sit ups) will your knees bent.  Lean back to a 45 dregree angle - using your abs to hold you up. With your arms extended holding the ball with both hands, turn/twist at the waist from side to side, bouncing/touching the ball on the floor on either side of you.  If its easy at the 45 angle then lower yourself a little more and try it - it really works!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Return to EC Health Club