Patello-femoral Syndrome-Updated: Patellar Tendonitis

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Patello-femoral Syndrome-Updated: Patellar Tendonitis

Postby *Giddy Up* » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've had a sore knee for the past 4 weeks, and the other week I had an x-ray and ultrasound done on it. I got the results back today- they are all clean, so my doctor said it's probably patello-femoral syndrome. She thinks it will go away on its own and told me just to ice it and take advil twice a day, but if it continues for another two weeks then go back to her and she'll send me to a sports medicine doctor.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, I have started running on it again because this Wed is the qualifying meet for x-country- and x-country is my thing, so I WANT to run on it. Although, I probably shouldn't be, because it's more than jsut a little sore...but there's only two meets left (well provided I qualify at this one...) so I think I can suffer through and hope that the advils kick in. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My doctor also gave me a couple specific stretches to do, and an exercise to strengthen my things. Anyone else have this? Any particular exercises that worked really good for you? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Last edited by *Giddy Up* on Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:35 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GU, I have it in my right knee.  From my understanding, from talking to my doctor, a knee surgeon and a physiotherapist, it's not something that just "goes away".  It's degenerative, and once you've got it, you've got it for good.  I can't do anything that involves a lot of straightening of the knee...it just grinds and crunches.  Fortunately, riding doesn't bother it, I guess because you don't straighten your knee all the way when you're posting.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You *can* strengthen the muscles around the knee, to give it better support.  I was going to a physiotherapist who gave me a bunch of exercises.  I also invested in orthotic footwear, which has made a HUGE difference.  Losing 60 pounds has also really helped too...less stress on the knee (I know that you don't need to lose weight though).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You might want to try physio.  I had a lot of inflamed tissue around the knee, and ultrasound really helped.  When you're running, you may want to invest in a knee support, or wrapping of the knee.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:54 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#what is actually wrong with the knee when you have this syndrome?  I have had bad knees for a long time and they still are not sure what it is even after having arthroscopic surgery on one.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since I'm not a doctor, I'm not going to try to explain what it is.  But here's a link that gives some information:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.integrated-health.ca/injury/patella_femoral.html"#ed_cl#http://www.integrated-health.ca/injury/patella_femoral.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's another:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.dynomed.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/knee_and_lower_leg/Patello-Femoral_pain.html"#ed_cl#http://www.dynomed.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia/knee_and_lower_leg/Patello-Femoral_pain.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Zooka, I'm sure that if you had this, it would have been diagnosed (it's pretty common).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Patricia » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Heck...I could have that too.  I wear orthodics AGAIN...plantar fashiatus (sp?) stretched tendons in the foot and my knees grind terribly too.  I find it difficult to put polos on and straighten my legs/knees.  They invented splint boots...AHHH thank you....It doesn't help that I have a back problem too...it is all related I think.  I can understand for me I am old.  Your just young hopefully your doctor can find a suitable treatment regime for you.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Patricia
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby zooka » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:51 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#they diagnosed me with Osgood Schlatters while I was young but the doctors said it is something I would outgrow but now reading this article it says it is something that can stick around so maybe I still have effects from it:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.osgood-schlatter.com/aboutos.html"#ed_cl#http://www.osgood-schlatter.com/aboutos.html#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I compare my knee to "normal" people the bone under my knee cap makes a considerably bigger bump compared to others.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders- I actually too thought that it was something that was chronic- but my doctor says it should go away, so we'll see.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For me, it hurts to bend it- not straigthen. It's the repetitive bending that makes it sore- so I find that if I ride with stirrups it aggrivates, so for the past few weeks I've been riding with no stirrups. Also, if I sit with my knee bent in one position for a period of time, when I go to straighten it, it HURTS. The info book the doctor gave me did say to reduce bending and make sure that you have lots of leg room while sitting. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also went out and bought a knee brace for it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think the chronic factor depends on how severe the injury is and what you've actually done to it. For example, it could be displacement of the patella- but I don't have this. That's something that is very chronic and can even require surgery. But, it can just be because the vastus lateralis (outer quad muscle) is too strong or too tight and the vastus medials (inner quad) is too weaker, or weaker and thus the vastus lateralis is pulling on the patella and moving it out of the groove causing the inflammation. It can also be aggrivated by running down hills- and well it's cross country season...so...hills! So my doctor is thinking it's overuse.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, she said I could run on it, and I will just to finish the x-country season then it'll be on rest for about a month before track starts up. (X-country is tomorrow, so if I qualify then the most I'll be running is up to next Thursday). However, my doctor did say if it continues then go back...so we'll see.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But the only leg strengthening exercise my doctor gave me is sitting down, lifting the injured leg, with a straight knee with a weight on the end to strengthen it- but nothing else. Has something else worked for anyone else?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TequillaJack » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#GU - it so do not go away the you might have months without problems or pain but the condition will always be there once you get it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Basically you have groves on the back on your knee cap and in your knee that should line up but they arent.  They usually go out of aligement from repetative circular motion.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Make sure when you are running that you have extra support in your shoes, more then just what they come with, and make sure that when you are running you are not kicking a bit to the outside, because this is commonly how runners get it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ice is really the best thing for it, and make sure when your icing you have your leg up as high as you can.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#TJ- Thanks for the information. I've actually been wondering if it's a biomechanical problem as well...although I definitely can see how it's overuse. I really do hope it goes away because I want to continue runner throughout the future.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Currently, I'm on rest, the only physical activity I'm doing is riding (and still without stirrups) and the bit of stuff I have to do in gym, and even now it'll still start to really hurt from time to time- so I'm going to go back to the doctors and get referred to a sports doctor (tried calling today but the office was closed early!! *shakes fist*#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//lick.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Giddy Up* » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#TJ- Thanks for the information. I've actually been wondering if it's a biomechanical problem as well...although I definitely can see how it's overuse. I really do hope it goes away because I want to continue running throughout the future.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Currently, I'm on rest, the only physical activity I'm doing is riding (and still without stirrups) and the bit of stuff I have to do in gym, and even now it'll still start to really hurt from time to time- so I'm going to go back to the doctors and get referred to a sports doctor (tried calling today but the office was closed early!! *shakes fist*#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//lick.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby TequillaJack » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Depending on which way your knee is falling to get it off aligement building the inside or outside muscles will help make the frequency of the pain less#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So if your knee is falling inside build the inside muscles of course#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
TequillaJack
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#TJ- Yes, I did hear about building the muscles. I haven't done too much with that though- bad me. Perhaps I should go do that instead of spending my free time on here more....#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//lick.gif"#ed_cl#. But still trying to get a hold of my doctor- geesh- call yesterday at 2:30pm and they're already closed- tried again at 3:30pm, closed again too. I'll have to call earlier in the day at schoo. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to EC Health Club