wrist issues..

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

wrist issues..

Postby Kobau » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Think i've got tendonitis. Went to the Chiropractor, and my wrist was out of position, he adjusted it, but it refuses to stay where it should be. So now i get to lightly wrap my wrist for support, since lifting anything is 1)painful and 2) near impossible due to decreased strength.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#gonna  try to just take it easy this week, and hope it starts to heal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#any ideas on ways to help it heal?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:00 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do you write a lot? I find that I avoid activities that hurt me, unfortunately. I swam competitively for years, and the result is tendonitis in my right knee. It rarely bothers me now, but then again, I've quit swimming. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Ruth » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ice! I have tendonitis in my wrist and elbow thanks to years of mucking stalls, and I find that to be the most helpful thing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Ruth
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby MacnRio » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kobau, are you SURE you arent ME?! lol  About 3-4wks ago now my wrist/hand near my pinkie finger started to absolutely KILL and my arm swelled and bruised right up.  I had very little strength. I went to my dr and her brilliant deduction was I was weak in that arm (duh, I had just finished telling her that, thats why I was there), but she sai dI was weak in that arm and needed physio. GRRR. No wonder I don't like going to the drs.  I can lift a 40-60lb bale with that arm alone, but not htat day..... Anyways..... She did give me a perscription for physio, but I wasn't convinced that was the problem.  I am right handed, but am very ambidexterous and actually use my left arm over my right for a lot of things.  About 3 days before it started to bother me I did 300 bales of hay.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, I then notice a "popping" right above my knobby wrist bone.  Talked to a few people (my parents are big into race walking and know a lot of massage ther's, ostiopaths, etc and get that stuff done regulairly) and they figured it is a tight tendon, and the problem was coming from my ELBOW.  I mean this clicking would hurt so much I coulda cried.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, I'll backtrack and say I DO have golfers elbow, a rep. stress injury (golfers elbow is when it is the under side of your arm muscle that hurts, tennis elbow is the top muscle).  I type for a living (admin assistant) so thats where it came from, but that has come under control (thanks to an ergonomist and a negative tilt to my keyboard and keyboard tray, nutter topic ;)) and this hurt a HECK of a lot more.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, my dad, on my birthday no less!, starts to massage my elbow to the point of pain..... BUT, for the first time in 3 weeks when I woke up the next moring I was able to straighten out my pinky finger WITHOUT pain!!! I then made an appointment with their mass. ther. (who I had seen before).  I got there and know what the problem is? NO, not that I'm weak...... simply overuse and the tendon is "burnt out".  She almost DID make me cry with the pain!  But, it hurt like heck for 2 days after that (swelled up, a bit of bruising), but then it felt SOOO much better.  She did tell me to ice it when I got home, because of the heat she had created and the swelling.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, my advice to you Kobau is, get to a mass. ther.  It was explained to me that a chiro. can put the bone back in place (great), BUT, it doesn't losen up the tendon that probably caused the bone problem. So they really havne't solved the problem.  If the tendon/muscle is loosened up, the bone should go back into place naturally (or more easily).  Now, it is still bugging me, but she said she can only do so much, a lot of it has to be me - not overusing it (as I type this with both hands :P), stretching it, both directions (palm against a flat surface....) and, to loosen everything and get the fluid moving, do a lot of shaking of the arm.  As in, stick it out and shake.  It's all helping.  OK, I'm also still picking up the square bales with it, using it for chores, etc, but I can't avoid it. It's just me with 4 horses, a goat, a donkey, 2 dogs and 3 cats!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hope that helps! Gonna go shake out my arm now! lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ahh..massage therapy..its a wonderful thing. ;)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby Emerald » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I used to have a problem with Tennis Elbow, etc, etc, Participate in a lot of different sports, all your life and you learn about injuries, like owning a lot of old cars you learn about car problems. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so , Yes, this nasty lump was on my fore arm and my chiro pushed into it really hard to the point I wanted to cry, but it worked! and he told me I had to make a point of pushing into the Tensed up Knotted tendon/muscle to break down the tension, whenever I thought of it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#and those massager "Ortho" "Wahl" etc, really help to release .#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have carple Tunnel in both my wrists, so often if I don't put my wrist supports on at night, I wake up with them totally numb. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The thing about the chiro adjustment, is that you have pulled the wrist out of alignment, and it has developed a pattern, which is kind of like a Slinky, bounces back, so you have to retrain the joint, eventually it does stay put, getting the muscle knot out will help as it is the muscle pulling it back into that painful position. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Kobau, Are you taking anything for Joints such as Glucosamine? this also helps. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby *Giddy Up* » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:58 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ice it for now to reduce inflammation, but go see your doctor.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, take a look at your work station- do you have an ergonomically correct workplace? That could be causing you wrist troubles. Also, do you break your wrists when you ride? (like have piano hands, or even just break while still keeping your thumbs up) That can cause carpal tunnel. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well we lost the posts that were here... but i'll put a bit of info back in..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't type or work at a workstaion unless i'm checking email or ec. i did this working as cleaning staff, mopping, stripping  and refinishing a floor etc..Broken wrist when riding isn't my prob, that is the one thing i don't do! lol i had to ride with a stick in my gloves when i was younger to train me to not do that, and i never have since then..It is doing better today though.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Trufflemaker » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Get some Arnica Montana cream and use it on the area. It is amazing stuff! You can find it at some pharmacies, and at most health food stores. My family uses it all the time for bruises and sports injuries. And of course, take it easy until the wrist heals.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Return to EC Health Club