Ideal Weight?

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Ideal Weight?

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:27 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#How do you figure out your ideal weight?  I googled it, but each website is totally different.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I know you facture in height and age.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#So I'm 32 and 5'1" (just)  and 120 lbs.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Now that I'm past my goal weight of 125 lbs, I'm wondering how low I could/should go.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I'm loosing on average about 2 - 3 lbs per week.  Workouts consist of 30 min cardio AM every day.  4 kick boxing sessions & 1 Personal Weight Training session per week. Plus I usually ride 2 - 3 times per week, but just hacking.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#At 120 lbs I feel great and clothes are fun again, so its not like I'm looking to reduce myself to nothing.  If  I don't lose any more weight that's fine with me, but I'm curious how low I could go#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gee, I'm not really sure.  I don't think that there should be any hard and fast rules on how much a person should weigh because each of us is unique, with a unique bone structure/density.  And, we all carry our weight differently.  I carry mine below the waist.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that you should go by how you feel and whether you're happy with how you look or not.  Granted, most women are NEVER happy with how they look, and ALWAYS feel that they could be 10 (or more) pounds lighter, but I think that if you're eating a healthy diet and your weight is not fluctuating much, you're probably at YOUR ideal weight.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For instance, I am 5'6" and I weigh 160lbs.  Now, that may seem heavy, and yes, I could stand to lose another 10 pounds (or more) but I've been at this weight for several months now.  My body seems content to be at this weight, as I *did* try for a few months, to get below 160, but it never happened.  I am very careful to not let my weight start creeping up, and it's a daily job to keep things under control, but I'm no longer striving to lose any extra weight.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What does your doctor say, cnigh?  Usually he/she can give you their professional opinion on what your weight should be.  I find that most weight charts are not realistic, which is why you should just go by what feels right for YOU...within reason, of course.  No one should diet to the point where they become skeletal looking!  5'1" and 120 lbs sounds about right to me, but I'd have to see a picture of you, to say for sure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Thanks Chenders.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I saw my Dr last Monday and he says I look great.  I didn't think to ask him what weight I should try for though.  Kind of had other more important things to discuss.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I was 125 lbs from the age of  about 23 - 27/28.  My body seemed want to be at that weight since I went through two pregnancies in that time.  So I was thinking 125 lbs would be good for my body structure and age etc.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Also I have been told by the proffesionals at the gym that my body would slow down in the weight loss and level off when I get near my ideal weight.  Well I droped 20 lbs in the first 3 weeks and since then have been losing a steady 2 lbs a week.  Except for this week I lost 3 lbs (which is wierd, since I totally binged on Chocolate Monday night - bit of bad news from Dr.)  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#So I figure maybe my body still has a few more pounds to go?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#(PS  - I'm still working on getting pics of Sarah & myself.  My computer is packed since we are moving Dec 1.  I promise though I will get pics up soon after the move, so everyone can see how pretty my new pony is - lol.)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby goldendryad » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That stupid weight/height ratio is not something to go by, in my opinion, because it doesn't factor in your bone structure. You could be 5'6" and an average weight, but that calculation may make it sound like your obese when really you have a big bone structure.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Same goes for short people like me. Say you're 5'2" with a really light bone structure but by that calculation you're under weight.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do not go by the scale. The scale is stupid. Measure yourself in inches on your hips and waist and go by that instead. Consider how you look and feel.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But a sudden weight gain can mean bad things. I'm a little concerned about myself since I've always weighed about 120lbs and suddenly I'm up to 135...all I can think is that either I've gained muscle. I haven't ben that active, but then during the lockout I was walking 4 hours a day. Or something is up because I'm always bloated...when it used to be just around my period, now it's all the time. I'm going to see a doctor about it right away.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:35 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Hmm, what are your measurements supposed to tell you?  My waist is 27 in, my hips are 36 in and the baby belly in the middle is 35 in - LOL!  So is that good?  Generally I do feel good, and I certainly don't feel fat or heavy at all any more, but I'm wondering why I'm still losing lbs at the same rate.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I'm not a big person, but I'm not really a small build either.  If  I circle my wrist with the middle finger and thumb from the opposite hand they touch easily.  But I have a long, broad back.  And my calves measure as wide around as they are long (gotta love riding).  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Hopefully my body will be done shedding itself soon - lol!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, you COULD use those BMI caculators- but those are just a number. They don't take into account body size- but atleast it would give you a range.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd say you're fine. For being 5'1'' you may go down a bit more- maybe 115- but that's probably about max. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The best is to go to your doctor and see what they say, and judge on how you feel. Also, check your body fat percentage (you need a machine to do this, can't just find that off the internet) and then you can see if you are a health weight. A health female should be between 19-25%. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:09 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Whooh i just checked my BMI 18.3 aww im underweight lmao...yeah right#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well for your weight whatever you feell is good. But if you are losing weight really quicky expect compliments and people talking about you. But your also not a teenager so maybe you'll get it less. I ost a huge amount of weight in a short short time and i always here rumors going around and i ate half a triple choclate cheese cake at timmys last night! With the rest of my dinner, those things are impossible to finish but good! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But basically go down untill you want to stop. If you start getting short of breathe and just feel like a bag of crap gain a few pounds. Just don't push yourself #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Hee thanks,  its really funny but its the women that make the most comments about my weight lose.  (well to my face anyway)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I had a lady come up to me at the gym that I had never met before and she said "I know this sounds wierd, but I just had to tell you that you look amazing.  I saw you a few weeks ago & I can't believe the difference."#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I was totally taken aback, because I had never talk to her before.  It was really flatering.  And it also makes you  realize that people actually do notice you - lol!  I tend to be the type of person that has so much on the go that I'm always running through life.  Time to stop and smell some roses.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:48 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Wow thats great! Its always nice when someone will randomly tell you that! It makes you feed better than someone you would normally see#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to EC Health Club