My Weight, need to vent!

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Postby sugar » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:20 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chis you and I are in the same position.  I have dieted since 14 when I was diagnosed with diabetes.  I was ok until I moved back to Ottawa.  There is an easy solution that should work.  I know many many people who have done this and lost their weight - all of them diabetics, some with age and mobility issues, so it should be easier for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Obey these 2 little rules:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1. Never eat anything that is not low Glycemic Index (GI) food after 6:00pm and eat something every 2 hours after 6 until you go to bed.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2. Only eat low GI and medium GI foods the rest of the time.  If you have to eat a high GI food, ensure it is less than 10% of your total calories for the day.  If you don't your body will trigger a weight store command and store everything possible.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Continue exercising, it sure helps.   This always works for me and my weight problem currently is caused by breaking those 2 rules previously.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now I am following my own advice and am finally losing weight slow and steady again.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby Judy F » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:43 pm

Well, I've gained weight and lost weight but never dieted.  Last
winter, after a bad year (broken ankle plus mono), my weight reached a
panic level: over 180!  I'm already on meds for high blood
pressure (reads normal now) and anti-depressants so I didn't need the
added stress.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I considered a couple of things:  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Sumo wrestlers need to bulk up in a major way.  They work out in the morning, then pig out all afternoon and evening.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
An item of wisdom:  Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, sup like a pauper.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
It has recently been discovered that teenaged girls who eat cold cereal
for breakfast don't gain weight like those that skip breakfast.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Fiber can help control sugar/fat retention, but, like Chis, I'm gluten
intolerant.  Actually, intolerant of several kinds of fiber:
citrus (which I LOVE), wheat, flax (major ouchie).#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
So, I tried eating my big cereal breakfast, switching every day between
rice, corn, oats, ancient grains, plus fruit (bananas, strawberries,
blueberries (when reasonably priced).  Lunch is very light, but
requires cheese.  Supper is either a small salad or a frozen
entree (Lean Cuisine, or Stouffers, but small) plus desert (ice cream,
frozen yogurt, pudding).#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Glory be!  I'm down 15 pounds and don't feel hungry.  #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Maybe I should write a book?#ed_op#img style="width: 41px; height: 41px;" src="richedit/smileys//lick.gif"#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:05 pm

Judy F wrote:#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#So, I tried eating my big cereal breakfast, switching every day between#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#rice, corn, oats, ancient grains, plus fruit (bananas, strawberries,#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#blueberries (when reasonably priced).  Lunch is very light, but#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#requires cheese.  Supper is either a small salad or a frozen#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#entree (Lean Cuisine, or Stouffers, but small) plus desert (ice cream,#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#frozen yogurt, pudding).#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This doesn't sound like very many calories.  How can you not be hungry, eating so little?  I'd be starving...and then I would cheat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, is this a diet that you feel you will be able to sustain over the long-haul?  I would be worried that as soon as you stop eating this way, will you start to gain weight again.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm not trying to knock you, as you've found something that is helping you to lose weight.  My only concern would be for the long-term, and whether you can keep eating this way for the rest of your life.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Judy F » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:58 pm

#ed_op#span class="postbody"#ed_cl#Also, is this a diet that you feel you will be
able to sustain over the long-haul?  I would be worried that as soon as
you stop eating this way, will you start to gain weight again. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I'll have to see.  So far, it's working (about 10 months) and
there seems to be room for cheating.  I also have a small glass of
wine (125 ml) with supper and a lite mocha java (coffee with Carnation
light) for breakfast.  I eat choc bars when I shop without having
my lunch (just one!) and I'm not skimping on the dessert (tub of
Neilson mint/choc chip last's me 5 days max).  So there's room for
cheating.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I'm not riding (pinched nerve in back), no working out (ditto), getting
my 8 hours at night (apparently also important), and steadily dropping
in weight.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Either it's working or I'm in the early stages of Alzheimer#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#span class="postbody"#ed_cl#s.#ed_op#/span#ed_cl##ed_op#img style="width: 57px; height: 57px;" src="richedit/smileys//lick.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#span class="postbody"#ed_cl#'#ed_op#/span#ed_cl#
To ride well is the mark of a gentleman. To ride too well is the sign of a mis-spent youth. Athena the owl in "Outfoxed" by Rita Mae Brown.
-- Distrust any enterprises that require new clothes. EM Forster
Judy F
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:21 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I started in on my low cal eating plan yesterday. I've just cut out all junk food, and I was harder on myself when I rode last night..I feel for ya Chis!! I need to shed the pounds before next show season! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Postby sugar » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chis, what I forgot to mention in my previous post is to eat your biggest meal in the morning, low GI snack at midmorn and slightly smaller meal at lunch and low GI snack at midafternoon.  Supper is the smallest meal of the day.  (It's my soup meal usually.)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They told me to only use cheese or nuts or something high protein for the snacks including the ones at night.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So many snacks and the succession from big to small meals tricks the body into thinking you aren't in "stress" so you can ditch the food instead of storing it for hard times.  This is nothing more than a healthy eating routine for anyone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone as good at dressage as you can likely apply the same discipline to revamping your eating habits to something simple like this that can be done indefinitely and enjoyed.  And if you sin at christmas, big deal, just go back to your regular healthy routine eating on the next day that you can go back to it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pasofinos Rule!!
sugar

Postby Chisholm » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh but you see Sugar I can't really sin, unless I want to feel sick, get really tired and visit the bathroom a lot.  Being Gluten intolerant keeps me from going off track.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You see I couldn't eat more healthy if I tried.  And pretty balanced.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here's an example of my daily food.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Breakfast:  Veggie juice shake or grapefruit shake with my powder supplements#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#                 1or 2 gluten free waffles, with no sugar jam and butter#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#                  1-2 eggs, or sausage or fish#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#                  fruit if I have a the veggie shake#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Snack:  Fruit morning only and I don't always need it.  It depends how early I eat breakfast, if it's 6am then yes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lunch:  Salmon, or eggs or chicken, with salade or veggies #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Dinner:  Steak, chicken, spareribs, lamb etc... with salade and veggies, 2 types#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#snack:  nuts but not always.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I am never hungry, never craving any foods and not even wanting to eat emotionally like I use to still sometimes out of bordem, but it's usually fruit or veggies.  There is nothing else in the house I can eat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I don't limit the amount of veggies or the meat.  And I eat lean meats.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And this is no diet, this is my way of living.  Since that is litterally the only foods I can eat.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And there is no way I can miss a meal, because then I do get very hungry.  But I am very careful to keep myself on schedule which is so important for proper body balance.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby sugar » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:34 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldn't have a clue then, my brother is gluten intolerent too, celiac I believe he calls it.  He has slowly gained weight since he got that way.  Mostly around the middle and rear.  All he can do is limit the fruit and sugary vegetables and exercise more.  From his last photo, it does look like it is helping a little, however he is up in Nunavit working for their government freezing his duff off.  So maybe just keeping warm is helping him.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Note we are mammals and as such we gain weight summer and fall easily to survive winter and lose it easily in winter and spring.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pasofinos Rule!!
sugar

Previous

Return to EC Health Club