My Weight, need to vent!

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

My Weight, need to vent!

Postby Chisholm » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How more fustrated can I get!  Sorry I really need to just vent here.  This will be long.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So my riding has been going absolutely super, Chis did so well at 1st Level this year.   And we did it with me weighing 200lbs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well I have now been 200lbs for over 2 years.  Haven't gained, haven't lost.  Seeing a doctor to try and get all in balance so my metabolism will kick it up a gear and I will start losing.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I was auditing at a big clinic today at Gina Smiths.  Well I am watching all these great horses and riders, and saying to myself Chis and I can do all that.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But then I got fustrated driving home because I know we can do all the stuff and we DO but we could do it even better with less effort and fewer problems with saddles fitting etc... if I just could lose some weight.  Chis is such a super horse and so willing but is very picky thank goodness, and part of it has to be due to my weight.  I'm sure a lighter person on him would have less of a problem.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now I know men weigh that much but it's how it's distributed.  In my case it's ALL on my but and middle, I could live with my thighs being thick.  My upper body is thin.  My face and hands aren't even fat.  All symptoms of insulin intolerant. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Even 20 pounds right now we make me happy.  But 40 to 60 lbs is of course my goal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But my body just won't budge.  And no diet out there will fix this.  Diets are what put me in this place to start with.  I have been on diets since I was 13 years old.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now my body is afraid I am going to starve it so it takes all sugars turns to insulin and packs it away as fat.  Why I haven't gained weight is because I am in such bloody good shape for someone weight 200lbs and is only 5'3".  Every darn blood test and other test comes back absolutely normal.  Not even in the high/lows of normal.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am gluten intolerant, carb intolerant to a certain extent right now and must watch my yeast intake.  What else can I do.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am uping my exercise again.  Order an eliptical trainer for home, will arrive in 2 weeks.  Don't have time to go to the gym.  And twice I have had to stop going to the gym due to injuries that I am sure were caused by going to the gym.  Sounds stupid, but last summer really bad sprained ankle this year 6 months ago hurt my hip and it's still not right.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OK I think I'm done now.  Sorry for it being so long.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby lifeafterracing » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have you tried a supplement to boost metabolism?  I know chromium is one.  There are others, but I can't think what they are right now.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lifeafterracing

Postby Chisholm » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Let's see, I take a multi vit/min, 3 different amino acids (brain chem food) , Chromium and I'm sure in December when I see my doc again I will adding more supplements again. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have started eating grapefruits, and I drink veggie juices with a veggie protein powder mixed in.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby chenders01 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:34 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chis, weren't you the person who was going to a nutritionist or naturopath or something?  Or am I confusing you with someone else?  With your health issues, I have NO idea what to suggest.  Has your doctor not been able to suggest anything?  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm sure you know that dieting does not = starving.  When I dieted and lost my weight, I wasn't starving myself...I was simply eating *different* foods...low fat/low calorie ones.  Have you tried that?  For instance, I eat a salad every day for lunch.  I also eat a LOT of fat-free yogurt (are you lactose-intolerant as well?) and fruit.  Not too much protein or starch...veggies dominate my plate at suppertime.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What is your normal diet throughout the day?  Maybe there are changes that could be made there.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'd love to help.  I know *exactly* how you're feeling because I was there.  I was 220lbs at one point (I'm 5'6" though...but still, it was waaaay too heavy).  I've stabilized at 160 but I ride 4x a week and work out at Curves the other 3 days.  So, it's still a constant battle for me, and since I've been on "maintenance" I've noticed my weight starting to creep up again.  It's hard to stay disciplined.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Trufflemaker » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My suggestion would be keep track of what you eat (i.e. write it down!). If you expend more calories than you take in, the weight WILL come off. I find that "food amnesia" is a very powerful force that we must resist... how many times do we have a bite of this, a nibble of that, etc. and before we know it, we've eaten hundreds of calories! It's very easy to forget those little bites--but they do add up. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I really liked the Weight Watchers program for two reasons-- 1. I counted "points" rather than calories (so I didn't have to be so precise) and 2. Writing everything down made me very conscious of all the little ways that extra calories slide down the throat. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you haven't tried it, I would suggest WW. (btw, WW does not starve you! You get plenty to eat, in a wide variety of healthy choices.) If you don't want to go that route that's fine, but do try keeping a food journal. You might be surprised at how much you're taking in without even realizing it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You have some extra challenges with your health issues, but you are obviously really determined so we know you can do it!! Go Chis! Good luck!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Stuff that helped me lose weight were: #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Eat 3 meals a day#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#the 4 food groups! lol sounds funny but if you eat toast for breaky, sandwhich for lunch..lots of carbsso have fish or something for dinner to throw some protien in there#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have no idea where you work, but my mom works at home at a desk, i alwasys see her snacking and she complains she want's to lose weight so i give her something better to eat. Ex. carrots!! Celery(sp?), nut & dried fruit trail mix.. those are better ifyou make them yourself because you don't have all the extra crap adde in. And Green Tea, warm or cold increases your motabalism #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also my friend works at herbal magic, i can get some names of stuff that help increase your matabolism and help you lose weight. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Herbal Magic?

Postby Cowpony » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:25 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was just at Herbal Magic yesterday and of course they won't give you any prices for anything until they have you in for the big consultation where they  try to sell you everything but the moon. Has anybody had any experience with them in regards to how well it works and how expensive it gets? I wouldn't mind trying it but I can't afford a ton and I hate high-pressure sales tacticts.  So far I have had my best success with low fat,low carb diet and lots of exercise but I need a kick start right now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted...
Cowpony
Newbies
Newbies

Postby chenders01 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cowpony, I had the same experience with Herbal Magic, which kind of put a sour taste in my mouth.  I then phoned Beverly Hills Weight Loss Centres and they were able to tell me how much it would cost to lose the weight I needed to lose.  The girl I spoke to was just waaaay friendlier than the one at Herbal Magic too, so I decided to go with Beverly Hills.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It *did* cost me a fair bit but I actually LOST the weight, which I was never able to do with Weight Watchers or any other weight-loss program I had been on (and believe me, I tried them ALL).  I'm on "maintenance" now and have kept the weight off, as I am still able to go into the clinic whenever I want to, just to step on the scale or talk to one of the counsellors if I'm having problems.  It's been great!  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For me, having to fork out a chunk of cash was extra incentive to lose the weight.  I saw the money as a long-term investment in my health.  I found with WW that when I was only spending $14 a week, it was easier to cheat and not stay on the program.  It was also easy to quit, as no one followed up with me to find out why I wasn't coming anymore.  With BH, if I don't show up for a week or two, they phone me, to make sure I'm still on track, and everything is okay.  I really like it, that someone actually CARES!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like I said, I dieted my entire life but never was able to lose as much as I lost by going to BH...and still be able to keep the weight off.  I'm a satisfied customer, and I would definitely recommend them over Herbal Magic, just based on how I was treated when I made that initial phone call...and the fact that the diet is easy to incorporate into your life...and it WORKS!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Cowpony » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:57 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yeah I hear ya about the up and down thing. I have stuggled with weight since I was in my early 20's,before that I was a stick. I have lost 50 lbs. twice and both times put the majority of it back on. 2 years ago I decided to join a gym. I went on a low fat, low carb diet mostly by following the WW plan and worked out  like a fiend and in 9 months had lost 45lbs and was fitter and healthier than I have ever been. Started working out with a trainer and she got me really buff and I was fitting into a size 7 again. Then I went back to work on a horse farm p/t and was doing my regular job as well before you know it the gym went out the window and now I am 30 lbs heavier again!!! and feel like crap. I am embarrassed to go back to the gym where I was (they actually have  my picture on the wall as a success story), don't feel too successful right now. I have made the committment to go again in the morning so hopefully get back on track. I have a gorgeous sexy fiancee' that I adore and I just feel like such a blob right now and when we first started to go out I looked pretty good if I do say so myself. It is affecting a lot of areas in my life. Riding being one of them and some other stuff too...... Maybe I will call Beverley hills. I bought a supplement today that contains Chromium and Ginseng, they are supposed to speed up your metabolism. I just wish it wasn't so close to Christmas 1 for money reasons and 2 because it's really hard to try and start a diet at Christmas time.  See, I can talk myself out of this  so easily!!!!!!! I need a workout buddy to kick me in the arse!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cowpony
Newbies
Newbies

Postby *Giddy Up* » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:42 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#PP72- Actually, it is better to eat smaller but more meals a day- like 5-6. This is because your stomach constantly has SOMETHING in it- so you rarely get those intense hunger pains (thus preventing you from overeating). Also- it's similar to a horse- they eat little and often and say tucked. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Gee...if only we all ate like horses...however, I do not find the idea of hay to be tantalizing#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl#.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But the only thing you can really do, besides getting out to the doctor, Chisholm, is to increase you activity level- more heavily based on cardio. You should like the elipitcal- I love those things!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Where do you work? An office job? Consider getting a stability ball to use at your desk to sit on all day- keep proper posture with abs held in and that will work your abs all day. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:05 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Chis,#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Are you in the Hamilton area?  If so I suggest trying the Lean & Fit program at United Family Martial Arts.  It combines interval training/kick boxing & a diet that is customised to you.  John Savidis is the one to talk to, he will help you alter your diet in a way that best suits your body.  Its a 10 week program that is very intense and does take disipline.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Most people lose between 20 - 40 lbs in the 10 weeks, depending how big you are to begin with. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#We have one lady that had lost 165 lbs on her own (no kidding), but had reached a plateau & couldn't reduce any more.  She joined the program and lost another 40 lbs - and she's not done yet!  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#I totally loved the program.  Everyone is so helpful and friendly.  I have finished it now and chose to go the personal trainer & kick boxing route to maintain my weight and sculpt certain areas of my body.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:59 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Herbal Magic works very very well! The thing is, you have to stick to the diet they give you. And you can 'earn meals' ie. wine, a shot, chocolate, candy, more food exc. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You can sign up for suplements and stuff but they can give just just a diet plan. the power bars are about $1.75, so you can buy those somewhere else. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The supplements are kind of expence, but what do you expect? But it does work. The food in your diet is all normal food you would usually eat so its not eating gross stuff. And their meal replacement bars are really good! Taise like a mars bar#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Chisholm » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I knew everyone would come back on here suggesting diet programs.  Thanks but no thanks, that's how I ended up here in the first place.  I have been there done that, have a number of the books.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders when I say my body thinks I am going to starve, doesn't meen I think weight loss = starving. Not at all.  But my body believes because I have changed how I eat so many times that I may very well starve it at some point so it has gone into starvation prevention mode.  Turning all sugar into insulin and packing it away in storage compartments called FAT!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And Chenders it is me that was going to a Nutritionist and now go to a Enviromental/ Nutropath Doctor.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Most low fat diets can force some people's bodies into this mode.   Low fat diets are for some but not so great for others like me.  My body needs the esstential omega 3 & 6's to produce energy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#See my body is producing plenty of energy to keep me going and healthy.  But it has majorly stored up incase it needs more.  And  won't let me use more no matter what.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I really hope that the ellipitical trainer I ordered will help move my body up one more gear, maybe 2 and let me start losing weight.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And becarefull all with all those weight loss programs out there.  Don't forget their main focus is making money off you losing weight.  And when you gain again they hope you will come back to lose again and again.  Weight loss programs is a hugh business.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Foxie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chris you are very right......the diets are what has made it harder for you to lose weight and they put more weight on you in the long run. DON'T go on another diet. Diet's don't work because you can't sustain them for a long period of time. The ONLY way is to change your lifestyle. You must change the way you eat and you have to get active. There aren't any shortcuts.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't eat late at night(it's the kiss of death). I try not to eat after dinner. If I do then its healthy like fruit but come on...sometimes I will eat bad stuff.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Angry/7.gif"#ed_cl#lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your intolerance(sp?) does make it a bit challening as to what you can eat. Use trial and error and see what works for you. For me since I was a kid, my diet has been very high in carbs, low in fat, and low in meat and very high in diary products.  Eating out is also the kiss of death. Cook at home wherever you can. I only eat out on the weekends and that's one meal of the day. Eat 5 to 6 small meals a day. and you already know that you need to exercise. Also you have to do strength training as well as you cardio. It will help you push through the plateau. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#p.s my mom's doctor told her to try the G.I book to see how to eat. She also has a little higher sugar count and it really helped her to lose weight and it shows how much each food has sugar in it. To my surprise...corn is high in sugar.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The "diet" I am on IS a lifestyle change.  I've kept my weight stabilized at 160 since May, and this is because the way I learned to eat is the way I now live my life.  I *won't* gain my weight back because I am committed to eating right, so that I keep it off.  I spent the first half of my life overweight...I intend to not ever "go there" again.  I want to spend the last half at a healthy weight.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chis, the reason I asked if it was you who was seeing a Naturopath is because I recall you saying that he/she was really helping you out, and your weight was coming down.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In any event, it sounds as though you have a Plan, which is always a good thing.  Good luck!  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley20.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Foxie your are right it is a lifestyle change not a diet.  Well over 6 years ago I made the lifestyle change when I discovered my intolerance to wheat, corn, milk, yeast, chocolate, coffee etc.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Chenders, I thought I was losing weight when seeing the Nutritonist, but that was only temporary, it went right back on and I hadn't changed a thing.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But I think talking about it like this is helping because it's keeping me from getting totally fustrated and giving up completely.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I don't have any advice really Chis...just wanted to say that I can understand how you feel and really empathise with your struggles. You know I am rooting for ya :D#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Cowpony » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:39 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yay!, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Got back to the gym this morning and did two sets of light weights and 1/2hr on the eliptical machine. Chisholm you will love it. It still gives you all the cardio benefits but none of the pounding on the joints. I feel so much better that I did it and took  a teensy little bit of control back. It's the best stress-buster that I know of. Saw some of the ladies that I used to see there and they all waved too so that made me feel a little better about being there. It's a lot easier to be good about your eating when you are working out I find as you are more aware of how much harder you have to work to get rid of that muffin that you just stuffed in your mouth. It all just seems to snowball in one direction or the other. Don't give up Chisholm. When you get your new machine just start out with 10 or 15 minutes and work your way up so you don't get discouraged.That's how I started and I was up to a 1/2 hr. in about 2 months. Those things really work and the beauty of them is that you can park it in front of your T.V. or get a magazine to read while you are on it and the time just flies by. Don't forget to drink lots of water. Good Luck! Keep us posted to your progress.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Cowpony
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kerri » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:54 pm

I'm not suggesting it's the right answer for you Chisolm, but I just
have to echo Trufflemaker's comments about Weight Watchers for anyone
else out there. I started WW mid-August of this year and since then
have lost 28 lbs. It's great because it's not a diet, rather it's
taught me to better understand food and make better choices. And it's
using every day food - no deprivation, no expensive foods you have to
buy and best of all there aren't any forbidden foods (because let me
tell you, if I had to give up chocolate it just wasn't going to work!).
I still have a ways to go, but I'm so happy that I'm losing on average
2 lbs a week and can really feel the difference.  I'm really glad
I finally listened to my Mom and tried out WW :) #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Kerri
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Trufflemaker » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:52 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You inspire me, Kerry. I have gained a few pounds and really MUST get back to ww. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I too have been through many diets over the years. Working with a personal trainer and going to ww (i.e. eating properly!) was what got my weight down (45 pounds) after it had climbed to embarassing levels. I really believe that each person has to find a personal program that will work for them, however. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#For those who can't stand the thought of a "diet," engaging the services of a nutritionist is definitely the way to go. Get out the Canada Food Guide and follow it. Eat nutritiously, watch portion sizes, and exercise. And yes, your body may very well be thinking that you're starving it--if you're not taking in enough calories! If you weigh 200 pounds, you should not be trying to get by on 1200 calories or anything like that, because your body will go into starvation mode. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To boost your metabolism, do weight training rather than cardio. Although of course cardio is good for you too! You not only burn more calories when you weight-train, you build more muscle, which in turn burns more calories.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good luck with your program Chis. I hope you find what works for you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Next

Return to EC Health Club