Anyone got a cure for FAT calves -not the mooing kind

Looking to get in shape, lose weight, eat better? Stay motived with your virtual gym buddies!

Moderator: EC

Anyone got a cure for FAT calves -not the mooing kind

Postby sugar » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone got a cure for FAT calves, it is so annoying not to fit stuff.  Even when my weight goes down, I have fat/muscular calves.  I am only 5' tall and they are too big for half chaps.  Almost too big for full english chaps!  I am losing weight no problem, except for there.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I tried Rubberman's and I was too big for them even over bare leg and they are the velcro type.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any ideas?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby chenders01 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:14 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sugar, I feel your pain!  I lost 60 pounds but virtually NO decrease in my calf circumference.  Unfortunately, due to all the riding I've done in my life, my calves are almost solid muscle, so there's really no way for me to make them any smaller.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Greenhawk has a nice line of halfchaps that come in large sizes.  You could try those.  I've got the synthetic/washable ones, and they stretch pretty good.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for tall boots, good luck!  Most boot manufacturers figure that an "extra-large" calf is a 15".  Riiiiight!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Chisholm » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sugar try the Arait half chaps.  They come in an extra wide.  And they feel like boots.  They are more expensive but worth it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My calves get somewhat thinner as I lose weight but the shape never changes.  And in my case I don't fit in anything off the rack/shelf because of the shape of my calves more than the fat.  My calves don't even have fat on them.  They are very muscular.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Chisholm
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Trufflemaker » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your calves are not fat, they're shapely!! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have the same problem. Even at my skinniest, my calves could not fit into wide-calf boots. I had to have my tall boots customized at a cobbler. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't think there's any way to spot-reduce. But if you find one, please let me know! #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
"No one can teach riding so well as a horse."
C.S. Lewis, "The Horse and His Boy"
Trufflemaker

Postby *Giddy Up* » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is no real way to spot reduce and if it's muscle, well the only way you're going to get rid of it is if you stop working the muscle and get some muscle atrophy working. Other than that- enjoy them!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby ~Cnigh~ » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:49 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Oh boy can I relate, I have the exact same problem.  My calves width = lower leg length (knee to ankle).  Its so frusterating, its impossible to find ready made half chaps that are wide and short enough.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#So here are my thoughts on reducing calve size.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Jogging/running = the thin man/womens sport.  Ok no one take offense but professional runners are scrawny - lots of long lean muscles.  So I bought an alyptical.  I measured my calves before I started using it and will measure them again after about a month.  Oh ya, I'm doing 30 min first thing in the morning before breakfast.  Along with the other exercise (kickboxing/interval 3 - 4 /weekly, personal training 1/week & Riding 3/weekly)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Also I thought that sweating the area might help.  Boxers use sweating (sanna's etc.), horse show people use sweating (necks etc), so it might work for calves as well.  Although it might not be permanent.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#So when I measured my calves at the beggining of Nov. they both were 14.5 inches.  I will be measuring them next week to see if there is any difference.  #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#438059 size=4#ed_cl#Lol - If I can get them done a few inches then I may actually fit Childs Large Ariat Half Chaps.  The only ones that come in the correct lenght #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/2.gif"#ed_cl#.  Or maybe even one day I will fit in a pair of tall boots that won't leave welts on the backs on my knees. (Oh to dream ::sighs::)#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
To ride or not to ride................?
What a stupid question!!!
~Cnigh~
Newbies
Newbies

Postby sugar » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:47 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm looking forward to getting mine under 16".  My physiotherapist has the same problem and says if I do stretching exercises I have a better chance of slimming them down when I lose my extra 30+ lbs.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pasofinos Rule!!
sugar

Postby Emerald » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have lost about 1.5"  so I am just under 16" now. Part from loosing weight, but also I found that when I wear my Rubber riding boots, while working, with warm socks and pants, my lower leg and ankles would be soaking from sweat. I also believe the water retention theory, water is heavy and collects in the lower leg/calve.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just a suggestion, think like a ballet dancer, leg warmers to make the lower leg sweat! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Ballet dancer's use leg warmers to keep the muscle warm and prevent build up of muscle mass to keep the calve lean and elegant. You could use those misfit polo's around your calve!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Karate for 15 years and Racquet Ball for 8 years; I know what you mean by large muscular calves. but I did drop from 17" to 15.75"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My next delemna was my riding boots no longer fit me. I had  2 pairs of Boots (field & dress, and believe me 1.5" inches sticking out looks really baggy. So they went to the tack shop, I bought another pair. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Emerald

Postby *Giddy Up* » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cnigh- LOL- I had to laugh at the sweating comment. I got the whole horse leg sweating picture. Put on sweating medication of choice, saran wrap, cottons, wraps...lol...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's true that distance runners have scrawny legs (I once saw a shirt, it had a picture of chicken legs wearing shorts and said, "nice legs"- it was good). It is because they have long, lean muscle made for endurance, not strength. They also have a low body fat percentage. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*God forbid I go to any heaven where there are no horses*
*Giddy Up*
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:28 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I can realate too.  Big calve muscles...like pushing 20" ....I heard the same things though Sugar. Lots of stretches to bring them down. I have seen half chaps in greenhawk up to 17.5#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#If not, try this place. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.justchaps.com"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#www.justchaps.com#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby zooka » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hehe Sugar I have no suggestions but I just wanted to tell you I had a great laugh at your title for this post!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
zooka
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby sugar » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#You are welcome Zooka re the laugh.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for exercise, I don't walk well or far.  Haven't been able to since '79 and likely never will.  That's what horses are for...lol.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I did notice on my rubberman ride this weekend that rubberman is not only the most flexible(rubber) chap I know, he has normal looking calves.  Maybe I will have to escalate my stretching exercises and focus on the calves.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Pasofinos Rule!!
sugar

Return to EC Health Club