Hmmm...just wondering...

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Hmmm...just wondering...

Postby 69mustang » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Okay...I have been wondering this for some time now#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl#...Everyone on here seems like they are such "accomplished" riders, having taken (or still taking) lessons for years and competing and so on.  I feel like such an amateur...I took lessons for a summer as a kid ( a neighbour's son married a gal who was very much into riding/showing, so she came over and gave me lessons on one of our mares, no arena, just out in the field with the other eight horses!!) so I did have an excellent instructor, but the lessons were very "informal" or unconventional.  I rode for about 12 years or so with only what I learned that summer.  Fast forward 12 years (0kay, closer to 15 years) and here I am, back in the saddle.  I was just curious...anybody else here who is riding with minimal past instruction, or am I alone here?  Just curious...      #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
69mustang
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Bluebird » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been riding for 15 years, but have only had formal instruction for about 5 of those years..... once I got my pony at 11, I stopped taking lessons and just had fun on him.... I think it had alot to do with not really liking my instructor (no other choices in the area back then!).  Now, I am back into lessons big time - can't live without 'em!  I love my coach, and really love to hear her feedback and she has improved me so much as a rider..... I don't think it's ever too late to get back into lessons if you want - btw, on Monday's, it's "adult day" at Lakeview Equestrian Centre - they only take adults, and you can have a private, semi or group lesson....and the instructor is great too....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby 69mustang » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:04 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Really, Bluebird...this Lakeview place is really sounding awesome...must make the trek very soon!  BTW...did you look at that mare(?) in Peterborough yet?  Do tell! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
69mustang
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Bluebird » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#No, I didn't make it yet.  The only day I'll have off in the last 2 weeks is tomorrow, and the boyfriend is up for a visit, so we are going into Ottawa for the day..... I e-mailed the owner questions concerning her registration (on the AQHA website they had her registered as a sorrel, but she is a bay), and I never heard back from her..... Maybe something fishy going on there, or maybe she didn't like all my questions......So all of that is still up in the air....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:42 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't feel bad 69M...I have no real schooling in riding either but that fact has never slowed me down no kept me out of the saddle.  I have ridden for years since I was a kid and seem to be able to get the horse to do what I want.  Most of the time...lol  I did get a few pointers from someone who was helping me with a youngster that I was training for a trail animal, and I wanted to know the basics for the kids that I was hoping would have an interest  in showing, however that fell through the cracks.  So don't ever feel bad that you have not had a lot of formal training.  If you are riding trail for you own pleasure, you can do it with no problem #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby 69mustang » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Bluebird...that does sound kinda fishy, doesn't it?  Oh, well, sometimes things happen or don't happen for a reason!    Eileen...whew...I do feel better now,  all these "terms" and such, I was feeling so out of the loop, and being a western rider rather than english just made the gap seem so much bigger!  Don't get me wrong...I enjoy every minute that I sit in the saddle.  Like you, I can get my horse to respond, with some exceptions, of course...he does have a mind of his own which I respect.  It keeps it interesting to sometimes have to try to "convince" him that yes, you really do want to do it my way!!   BTW, any more interesting rides you care to share with us?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
69mustang
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Happy Appy's » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have not had much formal training. I have rode on and off for years. I just started taking dressage lessons at a local barn. I only get lessons when my kids are having a time off from them. We don't have an indoor arena to use in the winter so they don't like to ride all year round. We have 2 horses and 1 pony that we board and 3 kids that want to take lessons to learn how to ride their respective mounts and only so much money to go around. I'm for the most part only a hack/trail rider.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Happy Appy's
Groupie
Groupie

Postby MacnRio » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#When I got into horses and started taking lessons (about 2 yrs ago now), my dad (who had horses as a kid) turned to a relative one day when we were at a family gathering and we got talking about my horses and said jokingly "how did we ever survive, no lessons, no instruction, just got on and rode".  Very true..... People have done that for all of time that horses have been used for riding I bet!  My dad is a bit younger then Eileen, so about the same generation there #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/12.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I still like the lessons to teach me the "right" way to cue a horse, etc. I guess it depends on what you want to do as far as riding goes. If you just want to trail ride, no lessons (or maybe a few) would be ok. But if you want to show that takes a lot more work..... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#I never took a lesson til I was 19...and I started to ride when I was 8! I started out western, informal on trails. I went everywhere and at all paces...nothing phased me and I did well. There were no coaches, 4-H, pony club...nothing in my area! (I'm a middle of nowhere SK girl!) It was all fly by the seat of your pants...and there are lots of good riders who have lots of fun like this. There is nothing wrong with it. Don't feel out of place about it!#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#After my accident (13 years old) I switched to bareback, followed by an interest in English...and finally lessons when I moved to the city for university.#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#But I totally understand not having access to or being able to afford or just not taking lessons. I'm not currently in lessons and me and my horse are having a blast and making progress.#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#ff80bf size=4#ed_cl##ed_op#EM#ed_cl#I find reading and asking questions gets you ahead. It's a steep learning curb, but once you get the ball rolling....away you go!#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/18.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby dressagenap » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've been riding for about 3 1/2 years now (4 in May!) and I'm currently 13.  Having taking lessons since I first started riding, I can't really comment on how I've managed without them lol BUT if you don't want to pay for an instructor, maybe you can find some books, websites, magazines, etc. on riding and training?  There's a lot of useful material around and it tends to be cheaper to boot :)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
dressagenap
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Kobau » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:53 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmmm actually, i've only had western lesson for maybe 2-3 years...and i haven't had a western lesson since.... hmmm think 2000! I did lots of western riding just because i had an awesome horse, but really i learnt to ride western by working on cattle round ups! maybe sometime i'll get western lessons again... but i find that the dressage, english lessons i take help with my western... or at least my reining!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby BarnBratCSA » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:52 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I teach a couple of adults who have ridden as kids with no formal instruction and are now taking it up again as adults. I have one retired lady who takes lessons now but never has, and she does great! I think there are a lot of people who are in the same boat as you!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby sugar » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#don't sell the horse short as a mentor#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think we have all had ongoing lessons since we first got on a horse.  The horse being the best instructor of course.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I took english jumping lessons a few years ago and learned that my arab (with haute ecole) had taught me all the latest and greatest techniques way back in the early 80's that started being used much later.  If I wasn't in place she would go around and try again.  I never punished her for going around, because I noticed each time she did it, I wasn't feeling quite comfy with my seat either.  She refined me until I had it right.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby Hors-E-chik » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:58 am

I've never had lessons, where I live there's only one place you can go to where you can ride if you don't own a horse. But the conditions there are really crummy. My dad worked at a racing stable when he was younger so I just get him to show me what to do.
Hors-E-chik
Newbies
Newbies

Postby sugar » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:02 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Been riding since 1966 and had riding lessons a few times from human instructors.  Most of my teachers have been horses for the riding/jumping lessons.  Had loads of lessons from other trainers at various establishments in training/backing difficult/abused horses and have accumulated about 34 years experience in that area now.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hmmm bet you can you guess that I'm an old fart.... Hee hee#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#darn horses are sooooooooo addictive......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it
Save a horse - Learn to train
Pasofinos Rule!!
naughtypine-ranch @ hotmail.com
sugar

Postby Flyin' High » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:28 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ok, im 18 and have been riding since i was 3.. so about 15 yrs... when i was younger, i was in constant lessons ( 2 a week at one point) with very well known coaches who i would part board from. wheni left one very well known trainer (simply not enough money) i began working in exchange for riding. at that point i was not taking lessons and only in gr 7.. and i was *training* a 4 y/o QH...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#then i moved to a barn where i had the same type of situation....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#once i left there, i was out of riding for a bit. when i got back in i was in for about 6 weeks doing the whole.. one lesson a week thing... it bothered me because i had NEVER done it.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#my moms friend then approached me and asked me to work and train her 4 y/o mare. i immediatly took her up on the offer and ended up riding and training the mare with no coaching. the barn this took place at then led me to find 2 AMAZING coaches, and yet another young horse to ride and train, whom i began lessons on again (paid for by the owner of the horse) my coach was perfect for me and i love her to pieces. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#eventually i went on to buy my first horse, and boarded her at this stable, however couldnt afford to keep up on lessons, so for 2 years i relied on my previous knowledge i had gathered from many good coaches.. and did WELL with my mare. when i sold her, i bough a yearling, who is now 2.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i bought him last september, and just broke him in march. i have had a coach working with us for a wopping 6weeks now, and even then the lessons aren't set in stone, its kinda "whenever we're both free"#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i've trained my horse from the ground up, taught him how to lead, tie, lunge, and RIDE!! i was the first one on him, and by myself when i did break him (not the smartest idea i know)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so i *DO* understand where you're coming from!! evenb though i have had quite a lot of triaining in my younger years, i havent had ALOT recently, and yet iknow im still a good rider. i compete and do well and feel no regrets about how i have gone about learning to ride.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#it is difficult to hear everyone talk about how they have had soooo much training and still are getting it, and yet i know that i am able to look on my younger years for the knowledge i need.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#it also helps knowing that if i really wanted it, i probably could afford the big time training, however i'd have to sell my baby and settle for only riding once or twice a week on a horse that isnt mine..... IMO i'd rater keep my boy!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Flyin' High

Return to Western etc.