Western Saddle Pads

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Western Saddle Pads

Postby MacnRio » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, I wracked my brain trying to think of a topic to get the Western board moving.... Finally came up with one! Can anyone smell the smoke? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/1.gif"#ed_cl#lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am truely curious. What kind of "pad" do you prefer to use for riding western? One of those big thick pads, or a blanket.  I have both.  First started with the blanket (it was cheaper) then decided I wanted an pad. So I have both and tend to use the pad.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Which is more comfortable for the horse? You'd think that the "cushy" pad would be nicest, but it's probalby super hot in the summer, and could it restrict movement a bit more, being so bulky?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just curious to know what people prefer.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:54 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#i prefer a 3/4" hospital felt pad. I cut a slice out of it where it sits over my horses withers, since my old qh has very high withers and he was more comfy with it that way...#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I've never liked the think blankets... i do have other pads, but at least with my big western saddle, a 75lb circle Y equitation saddle, the felt pad is all i use. Since it has the padding but it also helps wick the sweat away from my horses skin.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby AQHAgirl » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use both...a cheapy light blanket then my saddle pad which is fairly lightweight (canvas with a felt lining)..If my horse is feeling pretty that day she gets the show blanky thrown over top of canvas pad to add a splash of colour. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Helen Thomson ~ In riding a horse we borrow freedom

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
AQHAgirl

Postby goldendryad » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:49 pm

#ed_op#span style="color: rgb(255, 128, 191); font-style: italic;"#ed_cl##ed_op#font size="4"#ed_cl#All
the western riders I know (friends and family) just use basic navaho
style blankets folded in half. They seem to work quite well.#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#/span#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:43 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#See i can stand those navajo pads... i find that my horses don't like them much, if i do use them on my one mare, she gets lumps anywhere the blanket touched, i  tried a variety of different navahjo blankets, but she reacted the same to them all.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now if i'm showing i have a very gorgeous show blanket that goes over my felt pad.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby BarnBratCSA » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:58 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I use both at once... I use what I call a 'work pad" - a thicker but plain saddle pad (I have a wool/felt type one for home and a nicer felt-ish one for showing) and then a thinner blanket on top... I find that on all my horses that's the way my saddle fits best and it also provides the most protection. Plus, with showing, my show pads are klind of lightweight, but nice. The work pad underneath provides more protection for the horse but also keeps the nicer pad from getting ruined with sweat and hair#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eileen » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:23 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that I can honestly say, without exaggerating that I have tried just about every pad and blanket out there.  I have the gel pads, the hospital felt, thin ones thick ones, etc etc.  I should have a yard sale or something.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My favourite is the mesh kind that I put next to the horse then a light :Tipparary" over it.  This way the horse can sweat all day and the sweat runs down the barrel of the horse and nothing wicks upwards.  To clean this mesh, simply hose it off.  I have had it for close to 10 years now I guess.  Absolutly love it.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Western etc.