Showmanship

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Showmanship

Postby Bluebird » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am going to be competing in a showmanship class at a show next weekend, and since I have never done it before, I'm wondering what are some good pointers for me to remember while at the show?  I know how to hold the lead, and always stand so that I am facing the judge....is there any tips/tricks that you use in getting your horse turned out to look his best?  My guy is a palomino, so I'm thinking of getting some Cowboy Magic to whitening him up before the show........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

My Man!! Dualin' Pistols - 5 year old AQHA reining/cutting bred gelding by Dualin Gun (Dual Pep, Peppy San Badger bloodlines)

Life is Simple. Eat. Sleep. Rein.
Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby AQHAgirl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:44 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A good bath, lots of brushing, maybe a nicely banded mane (or even just a nice even pulled mane), some show sheen and highlighter oil and your set to go...you could polish his hooves with that clear hoof polish to make him extra pretty.  Oh yeah and if you have the nice clip his bridle path, and maybe the outside of his ears etc.  That's should get horsey looking presentable.......  Hard to do some of that stuff in the wintertime and if it's just a small show ya probably son't have to worry about some of it. (especially the bath .....chilly! LOL!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Helen Thomson ~ In riding a horse we borrow freedom

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
AQHAgirl

Postby Bluebird » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going to hot-towel him a couple times, then if we have a warm day, maybe wash his mane and tail....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can't band his mane, because it is too long, and the owner doesn't want it pulled, so I'm going to braid it up when it's wet and then it will be wavy and pretty....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm going to clip his bridle path, ears, whiskers and fetlocks on Tuesday, and my cousin has some hoof polish and face highlighter for me to use....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any ring tips?  I'm going to do a couple practice sessions next week.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

My Man!! Dualin' Pistols - 5 year old AQHA reining/cutting bred gelding by Dualin Gun (Dual Pep, Peppy San Badger bloodlines)

Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby AQHAgirl » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#All I can remember of showmanship lessons was smiling facing the judge....that cross over step thing depending on what quardarant of the horse the judge passes by, smile and let the loop of  the lead line frame your belt buckle.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

[/url]
AQHAgirl

Postby 69mustang » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:11 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey, Bluebird...sorry...can't offer you any tips/advice, but just wanted to say good luck and above all...HAVE FUN! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Happy/11.gif"#ed_cl#  Can't wait to hear how it goes!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
69mustang
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Bluebird » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:30 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#AHQAgirl - I'm trying to remember that quadrant thing...I've seen a couple of showmanship demonstrations, and know when to cross over, but what do you do when, say, the judge is looking at the right hindquarter, so you are at your horse's head on the right side, and then the judge starts to walk toward the head (and you) - where do you go?  Is this when you would cross over to the left side?  But then how do you get out of their way when they cross over to the left side?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

re

Postby lola s » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:40 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As soon as the judge crosses the midline of the horse (imaginary line down the centre of his face) you cross over.  Be efficient with your steps and usually go two steps and a pivot to put you in position. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bluebird » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hmm, could you draw a little picture to demonstrate Lola? #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

re

Postby lola s » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:43 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#LOL!  Well I could but I would have no clue how to post it!  You divide your horse in four quarters.  Drop an imaginary line right between his ears and on through his tail and then another line at his girth.  Those are the four quarters you work with.  If the judge is in either of the hind quadrants, you need to be on the same side.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Think of it like you were showing this horse to sell.  If somebody was near the hind end of the horse, you would be on the same side as them so you could move that horse away from them.  If they were to walk to the front of the horse, you would go to the opposite side and let them look at the head and neck etc.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you `google' showmanship at halter, you should find lots of great links.  Just try and have fun with this.  and dont' forget to smile and act like you are very confident.  If the judge messes the horse's mane ( and they usually will), make sure you straighten it back up right after he moves on. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bluebird » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:57 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lola - what do you do when the judge crosses the girth quadrant?  So let's say he/she was looking at the right hindquarter - so I am standing facing them on the right side of my horse's head.  Then the judge starts walking up towards my horse's head - once he/she crosses the girth line, where do I go?  To the other side?  I know I don't ever want to get in between the judge and my horse, so where do I go while they are moving around the front end?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#By the way, my cousin has done showmanship before, so I am getting her to give me a crash course next week... I just like to pick your brain! #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby AQHAgirl » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:50 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like Lola said you kind of in a way are following tehjudge around..but also moving out of his way at the same time.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

[/url]
AQHAgirl

Postby Kobau » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#when they come towards you, and reach right about the girthline, you then step over to the other side. But you try to always keep a line of vision with the judge... I hate showmanship, but for some god forsaken reason i'm good at it!#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/confused.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby BarnBratCSA » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#OOOHH!! A little late to posting, but showmanship is my all-time favorite class!! Did lots of it when i was still an AQHA youth....love it!!  PM me with specific questions and I'd be happy to help, but here are some basic tips:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- the key to a really nice showmanship pattern is clean smooth movements - nothing jerky or unsure.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- Know your pattern! practice it a lot to work out the kinks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- know the quarters system! Basically, you want to divide your horse into quarters - down the middle line, and just past the shoulder. When the judge is at the hind end, you want to be ont he same side, when the judge is at the front end, you want to be on the opposite side. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#- make sure that not only your horse is clean and presentable, but that you are as well. Clean, neat clothes, hair tied back, etc. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As i said, I'd be happy to help with any other questions. I love doing/teaching showmanship!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
A woman needs two animals in her life - the horse of her dreams and a jack@$$ to pay for it!
BarnBratCSA
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Bluebird » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So I had a session with my cousin today, and I'm pretty sure I got the whole showmanship thing sorted out.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The only thing is that my horse doesn't have it sorted out..... First off, he does not stand square.  He always has his left hind leg stuck up under him more than the other hind.  If I move it so that he is square, he doesn't put any weight on it.....#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley5.gif"#ed_cl#  Ah well, not a huge deal I guess...... Secondly, he can't pivot.  He can if I push his shoulder over, but I know that you're not allowed to touch your horse...... Thirdly, he is either staring off into space, or nibbling at my coat...... And lastly, he was fine in the arena this morning when he was in there by himself, but then some other horses came in and were spooking at the jumps stacked up in the corner, and he got all wrangy (sp?) - he is 16hh, so when he cranks his head up, I feel like I have no control......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, we are going to see how he reacts tomorrow once the cows are in the barn (the cow show runs right before the horse show) - if he is going to be nervous and having fits, I'd rather be on his back than trying to hold him from the ground........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh well, at least I figured out how to stand and walk around the judge!  So not all is lost anyway.........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Showmanship

Postby Buttons101 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:02 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana#ed_cl#Ok, The Showmanship queeen has arrived. One thing to always remember is that about every 4-5 steps make eye contact with the judge, it shows that you are really interested. Also stand up straight, but not stiff, put your shoulders back then just relax kind of put your shoulders down if you understnad, forget the silver platter stuff, it makes you tense and theres no way you can hold that pose, especially in huge classes. Smile, Smile, Smile, and have yourself polished up, just as nice as your horse, you are the presenter, your horse is the object. be proud! use your body to protray the attitude that I'm the best, my horse is the best, if you like, that of it as the judge is looking for someone who they would trust to show of one of their own personal horses without error, and they could not be there and trust that the person would present to their expectations etc. i hope this helps lemme know if I can explain/describe anything else, Good luck at your show~!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Buttons101
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Western etc.