Show next weekend...

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Show next weekend...

Postby Bluebird » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:36 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm competing at my college horse show next weekend, and am doing 6 classes:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#showmanship, barrels, western pleasure, equitation, trail and horsemanship.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think our best classes will be showmanship, barrels, and horsemanship (I hope!)  The horse I am riding is a barrel racer (he competes on the OBRA circuit), so there are alot of expectations for us to kick butt in the barrel competition....my coach told me "all you have to do is hang on" #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Shocked/1.gif"#ed_cl# - I just have to go for broke......I tend to err on the side of being careful, but I don't think I can afford to do that......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And I LOVE doing horsemanship patterns, and my horse is very responsive, so that should be in our favour....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think my biggest challenge is going to be keeping him (and me!) calm.... He can get a little antsy if he knows something is up.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone have any tips for calming show-ring jitters?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'll try to get as many pics as I can, and will post them after the show next weekend.....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

My Man!! Dualin' Pistols - 5 year old AQHA reining/cutting bred gelding by Dualin Gun (Dual Pep, Peppy San Badger bloodlines)

Life is Simple. Eat. Sleep. Rein.
Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:17 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Keep a bottle of rye in your show jacket :D lol just kidding Blue..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The best thing to do is just be organized and prepared. I HATE it when i am running around everywhere unorganized with a million things to do. Also, if you can, recruit yourself some helpers for the day. Good luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

re

Postby lola s » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:47 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Being able to relax should come in time.  Just try and focus on you and your horse and block the rest out.  Don't over warm-up your horse and allow yourself to just enjoy the show by watching other classes etc.  In reality, at any show, you are mostly competing against yourself.  Only, you know what is a good run for your horse.  The ribbons are a bonus. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby sugar » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:08 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Opps I posted this way too late....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't look at it as a show.  Look at it as a task or training activity of learning about showing.  If you are drinking in everything around you, especially your horse, while getting ready and warming up etc... you'll be too busy to get too nervous.  Prep for you lesson /task by making packing and todo lists and ticking them off as you complete them.  Bring your Tums!  My first and only show was at the Ottawa ex, that is what I did and I wasn't too nervous and my only problem was heartburn.  fortunately I got some Tums from someone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
sugar

Return to Western etc.