Tennessee Walking Horses ?

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Tennessee Walking Horses ?

Postby Serabe » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:29 pm

#ed_op#STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#008040 size=4#ed_cl#Hay I'm just wondering #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Thinking/3.gif"#ed_cl#if anyone here knew anything about the #ed_op#FONT color=#0000ff#ed_cl#Tennessee Walking Horses#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl#. Their history or stories, weather you like#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//ec-thumbup.gif"#ed_cl# or dont#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//ec-thumbdown.gif"#ed_cl# like the breed. I would just like to know more about them and there moods and more so how to handle them.  Thank guyz#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley4.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/STRONG#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Serabe
Groupie
Groupie

Postby goldendryad » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:57 pm

#ed_op#span style="color: rgb(255, 128, 191);"#ed_cl##ed_op#font size="4"#ed_cl#I think Eileen has one and totally loves hers.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My coach boards a few of them and they are wonderful horses! Great
temperments and very good looking. They are tall but not superfine,
like a saddlebred....more like a sort of warmblood. I've heard they are
smoothe and very willing to ride.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I've always wanted to try them out!#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/font#ed_cl##ed_op#/span#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Tennessee Walkers

Postby PerfectAngel » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I ride my friends horse (TW/Morgan) and he's got 2 "personalities" when riding#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#He is either like a giraffe/STDB cross OR he is like a warmblood of some sort. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#She wants to event him, but I have to say I think he's too much of a wuss...he's a major weinie...it's prolly not a breed thing though. It all depends on what you want to do with one as to whether or not they're suitable.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Image Image Image
PerfectAngel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Serabe » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl# Thankx  guys.  I got a job training a herd of that breed, so I just kinda wanted an insight on them. Just so I knew what I was getting myself  into.#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Serabe
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Eileen » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes my main trail horse is a Walker and I do totally love him.  He is easy going, eager to please and a great personality. lover to be right in there like a dirty shirt if you know what I mean lol  Of course there are exceptions to the rule, there is always one that will make a liar out of you lol But as far as I am concerned you can't go wrong with a Walker, for trail.  JMHO#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby *Fine China* » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:10 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Tahoma#ed_cl#I own a Tennessee Walker. They are extremely smooth, and have a to-die-for-smooth canter! #ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl# They usually have a very gentle personality. What cute and well-porportioned ears! LOL#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
*Fine China*
Newbies
Newbies

Postby sugar » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:18 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#They use a lot of devices and stuff to train walkers, some ok and some are nasty.  Only some walkers are natural, the others are forced by using various devices.  Many are abused by soring etc...to get the high fast stepping action#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I recommend you visit this site and learn all you can to ensure you aren't going into this uninformed.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.walkinghorse.org"#ed_cl#http://www.walkinghorse.org#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
sugar

Postby Eileen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The soring and devises that have been mentioned are used for those "big Lick" show horses....but the luck TWH that lands in the hands of a trailrider or plantation show horse person looks normal with his feet shod and trimmed like any other trail animal.  There is no way in the world that one of those Big Lick show horses would be able to navigate a simple trail out of the ring the way they are shod, and "redesigned"  There are plenty of Walkers out there that are naturally gaited with a good temperment and willingness.  Good luck in the search, it is well worth you time and effort to hunt around....#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The soring and devises that have been mentioned are used for those "big Lick" show horses....but the luck TWH that lands in the hands of a trailrider or plantation show horse person looks normal with his feet shod and trimmed like any other trail animal.  There is no way in the world that one of those Big Lick show horses would be able to navigate a simple trail out of the ring the way they are shod, and "redesigned"  There are plenty of Walkers out there that are naturally gaited with a good temperment and willingness.  Good luck in the search, it is well worth you time and effort to hunt around....#ed_op#IMG src="/richedit/smileys/classic.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Thu May 19, 2005 12:37 pm

On the weekend a walker/morgan attended our barn's clinic and wow! He
was the most gorgeous horse! Solid black, with long, full mane and
tail, and a gorgeous head and elegent build. My bf and I drooled over
him all day.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
My coach also used to board walkers and loved them.....they looked and
moved like warmbloods and had superior temperments and personalities.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Thu May 19, 2005 4:56 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I agree, the TW does make a good all around trail horse, some are used as a cow horse or even endurance, why not they can cover the miles easily.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#It is too bad that some show people have to have that "big Lick" show horse and use all of this artificial props to "help" the horse show his gait.  It give the Walkers a bad name, I was one of the ones that never ever wanted to own one of those artificialy gaited "show" animals.  Then on some of my travels I saw more and more normal TW used on the trail and they were just as able to do the trail as any other horse.  Plus you have the solid comfort of the gait.  They are well worth the time and effort in looking for a Tw for trail or anything else...JMHO#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Western etc.