What to do.....?

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

What to do.....?

Postby Bluebird » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Alright...so I have a show coming up on the weekend.  I am riding an 8 year old gelding who has been a barrel racer most of his life.  We have been working all year on the "slow down", and he goes rather nicely now in a jointed curb bit - but, I am riding him 2 handed.  I know that riding 2 handed in a curb is a big no-no at shows, especially with the judge we have this year (she came down really hard on the 2 handed curb-riding people last year).  I've ridden this horse one handed in a curb before, and let's just say "YEEHAW!!!" - needless to say, we were off to the races.......#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So my dilemma is - do I keep him in a curb, ride one handed, and "pray" that he go nicely, or do I revert back to his snaffle just so I can ride him 2 handed? - of course, if the judge asks me how old he is, I'm screwed anyway, 'cause you're not supposed to ride a horse over 5 in a snaffle 2 handed........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I ride him one handed in a curb and he goes for me decently, I think we would place really well (as far as I know, everyone else is riding 2 handed), but, there will be major distractions in the areana - cows and people, and did I mention, COWS?!?!?!, so I can't afford for him to be gawking around...If I'm 2 handing him, I know I'll be able to keep his attention (most of the time!)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But he goes so nice in a curb 2 handed.....grr, I wish I could just keep it that way........#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What would you do?????#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

My Man!! Dualin' Pistols - 5 year old AQHA reining/cutting bred gelding by Dualin Gun (Dual Pep, Peppy San Badger bloodlines)

Life is Simple. Eat. Sleep. Rein.
Bluebird
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What to do.....?

Postby Buttons101 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:08 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What kind of show are you showing at? There are rules against riding horses over 5 yrs in a snaffle bit two-handed, check out your rule book, some local shows go by the AQHA rule book, and they specifically state that rule. I'd say that if he goes good in the curb, and if you trust that he would be ok, then take him in the curb, you could always switch over if you had to at the show if something really unerving happened, or you could up grade his cub, a little bit, and i mean maybe a little longer shanks or something, nothing harsh, hope this helps you#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Buttons101
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Western etc.