West Virginia

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

West Virginia

Postby Eileen » Wed May 25, 2005 9:54 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Left for West Virginia last Friday, after a lot of truck and trailer problems but got it all done and there were 4 trailers and 11 horses that left.  It was a long day on Friday...dont know why but it seemed that we would never get there.  We were in a parade in a small town there that took up most of the day and then we headed for the stop for the Sunday trail ride.  It was great got to see lots of beautiful scenery, and all of the horses did well.  It was about 7 hours there and back and we stopped for lunch, which was a nice break and then back to the barn....we had our horses in standing stalls and the next morning I went to feed my horse and when he saw me coming he had his mouth open with his tongue hanging out and ripped...it was like a forked tongue like a snake and the one side was not quite off and hanging there....by that time it has stopped bleeding, who knows when the damage was done or how or by what....we will never know....but we eventually got him to a vet to the next little town and had to wait for her to finish a surgery....she stitched it up...took forever, and he was such a good boy....we waited for h im to sober up and walk then loaded him back on the trailer and we headed for home, what a bummer....he seems to be doing really well considering what happened....he never lost his appitite...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Wed May 25, 2005 11:15 pm

LOL poor silly fellow, at least he's still eating heartily. Please
don't tell me he's the sausage horse??!! Sounds crude butit would have
been nice if the tongue gave him an instant diet, LOL.#ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hope he's healing up well. I wonder how he managed to rip his tongue????#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Thu May 26, 2005 8:31 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Yes it was my sausage horse that got hurt and it did not stop him from eating....that boy never quits.  He does not look quite as fat as he did in early April, he has lost some pounds I think as well as winter hair and maby got some muscle tone now....and this little episode makes him eat slower...maybe there is a silver lining in this mess after all..   I will keep you posted. #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Sat May 28, 2005 5:11 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#The tongue is looking pretty good, inspite of the fact that the stitches have boken.  I thought that he was going to lose a pie shaped end of his tongue, it was black in color but I think now that it was the outer layer of skin that had turned black and it sloughed off or something because now it is a bright dark pink...like new growth if you will.....and there is not space where a chunk has fallen off.  He now still has a rip in his tongue but is able to keep the whole tongue in h is mouth if he so desires...He sometimes likes to rest it on his bottom teeth when he is not eating and resting, something he could not do at first....his tongue was always too big for his mouth.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I am flushing his mouth out several times a day and administering silver water....and giving him penicilin shots regularly.  I had my own vet out and he said that I was doing the right thing and he thought that eventually things would heal nicely even though he may have a funny looking tongue.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I plan on taking this horse with me on Monday for a week of camping and riding.  I will use a hackmore while this tongue of his is healing....maybe for ever who knows.  we will see.   Just thought that I would give y'all an update on things.#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:16 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Well the tongue looks pretty good now.  It looks funny of course, still split on the left side and that split goes to the centre where there is a hole for the lack of a better word.  The right side of the "snake tongue" has healed.  I don't think that the whole tongue will ever be in one long piece ever again.  He does not seem to favour this tongue, he eats and drinks and runs around with the others as if nothing has happened.  Of course he is still eating every thing in sight so I guess in the long run he is going to be fine.  I rode him all week in a hackmore and may chose to do so for the rest of his life.  We will see what happens.  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Western etc.