Prices now that PMU barns are in final stages of shut down?

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Prices now that PMU barns are in final stages of shut down?

Postby Kobau » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#at lest here in MB the prices of top notch bred western horses is beyond low. We have had such a huge pile of PMU horses on the market that other western breeders are fighting to sell their youngstock.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I myself will be sacraficing 5 horses at a paint horse sale in Sept. and while it makes me sick to give away my horses, which is what it amounts to when you can only hope and pray to get 1400 for a 7 yr old reg paint mare that is working really well, started on cattle, reining etc, and is able to go english also... I am doing all this in order to not have to sacrafice 10 later on... But dang it hurts to let your babies go for min$ and not have 100% control over who is buying...#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Anyone else noticing the drastic drop in prices..?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Winter makes you appreciate mud in the spring!
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:30 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#Well Kobau, not looking for a horse or wanting to sell one, I have not really paid much attention to the prices.  But that is a shame that you cannot get a good price for a well trained and well bred mare.  I guess the timing is just not in your favour.  Sorry about your dilema...#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:29 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well i guess it is something you risk facing anytime you are selling horses. And yup it'll hurt to let some horses go at low prices, but i just have to show them to the best i can, and hope that they go well.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just hoping that others of mine that are up for sale do sell and go to great homes. Since i think i'm pretty much getting out of it all except the riding. Gotta downsize, and family is getting older, i'm almost ready to be working f/t and so can only fit so many horses into that schedule.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Being a mom is a wonderful job... being mom to a horse crazy lil boy means combining two things i adore!!!

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby Eileen » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:12 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#I can see your points Kobau....why is it then when you are selling a horse it is as buyers market yet when it is your turn to buy a horse...it is a sellers market...is there no justice in this horse world   lol good luck on the sale.#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Kobau » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:37 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think it has something to do with Murphy. As in Murphy's law.but well a person can only do so much!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Postby goldendryad » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:37 pm

I agree. Out here prices seem to have really dropped and the market
seems so full, nobody is buying. There were so few people and horses at
the last auction, and most went for meat. Those were the only buyers.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Yes, the price of  a good,basic western horse has totally dropped.
But I find the market really fluctuates out here. They will be pricey,
then cheap, pricey, then cheap.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I really hope you get a good price on all your babies. You give them
such a good start and have a nice breeding program, one that's
different from others.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I suggest you do advertise online as many places as you can.
Particularly equine.com...the Morgan X's I'm selling for the bf's uncle
have drummed up a surprising amount of interest on that site. Also
contact any other paint breeders you know to find out if they would
like one of your mares.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Western etc.