english to western, how big a jump?

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

english to western, how big a jump?

Postby Shêtân » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:16 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hello, Everyone! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i have decided that i perfer western riding over english. I have ridden restern a few times. (yes in an arena kind of thing) at the walk trot and canter. How big of a jump is it? If i have been riding english and taking lessons, how hard is it to switch to western?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks in advance!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shêtân#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Shêtân
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Foxie » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:55 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It's not that big of a jump. They don't have canter...its called loop. Everything is really the same. You ride with longer strriups, butt firmly in saddle looser reins and that's it. And the saddles are heavy as well!! I always had a tough time lifting it on to my horses back!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I also forgot no post trot.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:01 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I  normally am a dressage rider but I've been doing a fair bit of riding lately in a western saddle (I board at a western barn and my mare is being trained by a western trainer).  Dressage really isn't *that* much different from western equitation.  The leg cues are the same and you still ride with your seat and legs.  There are some differences though:  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#In english, we ride with more contact...in western, the reins are looser and you ride with one hand and "neck-rein" (I still ride with two hands though...I've never gotten the hang of riding one-handed).  Your stirrups in western are a little longer.  Technically, your legs should still be underneath you but I see a LOT of western riders at my barn who ride in a "chair-seat" with their legs out in front of them more.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The saddles are bigger, MUCH heavier, and I, personally, feel farther away from my horse's back then I do in my dressage saddle.  Having a horn is nice though...I somehow feel more secure in the western saddle...there's just a lot more leather surrounding you, as well as a "handle" in case you need it  #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#What else...in western, you have the jog and the lope, instead of trot and canter.  These gaits are supposed to be fairly slow and not as forward as you want the horse to be in english (particularly dressage).  If you ride H/J it may be harder to switch to western, if you ride in a forward seat.  In western (and dressage) you sit up more. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#It hasn't been *too* hard for me to switch to western.  I still prefer dressage though.  I like my horses to be going forward with a purpose.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#         #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Shêtân » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:06 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am finally able to start looking for my own horse, and i am looking for a basic western horse. do you think i should take some lessons? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#P.S. as far as picking my horse, i am getting expert help.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I learned a safety rule
I don’t know who to thank
Don't stand between the reservation and the
corporate bank
They send in federal tanks
It isn’t nice but it’s reality
-Buffy Sainte-Marie
Shêtân
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:20 pm

Shetan! It's been forever since we've seen you on here! How are you? Did you finally find a barn that you like?
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Shêtân » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:55 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#yes, i'm good. School kept be busy and this summer we went to the maritimes, soo.. i was busy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i found a stable i LOVED (oakbridge) but when i found out that i could start looking for my own horse, i began to think more about what i would want to do. i decided i liked western better and i realized showing was not my thing so, yeah #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley1.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I learned a safety rule
corporate bank
-Buffy Sainte-Marie
Shêtân
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Shêtân » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#i am going to start taking western lessons at The Ranch on Sept 10. I'm excited!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#so, by the time i'll have found a horse, i will already have had western instruction#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks,#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Shêtân#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I learned a safety rule
corporate bank
-Buffy Sainte-Marie
Shêtân
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Foxie » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:33 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The Ranch is a great place!!  Everyone is really nice. You know I'm postive that Vanessa and Cary (the owners) will be more then happy to help you find a horse. I know that they sell horses and they have alot of contacts. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Foxie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:24 pm

It's not that different, I think it's easier to go from English to western than western to English.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Either way, riding skills are riding skills and you should choose what works for you.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Congrats on being able to get your own horse! Get a Morgan or an Arabian #ed_op#img src="richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl# but of course, I'm biased.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Find something that's nice, sweet, fun and VERSATILE! That's why I say
Arab or Morgan. Just in case you decide to switch to English and I
remember you loved an...Arabian maybe??? mare named Rhonda.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Shêtân » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:51 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sure enaugh! i did and still do! Arab's are my favorite so i like your suggestion#ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley2.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And Mustang's are my second favorite breed. I would just LOVE to get one ASAP!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
I learned a safety rule
corporate bank
-Buffy Sainte-Marie
Shêtân
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HappilyEverAfter » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I agree with Golden- I ride both english and western and I think its way easier to go TO western then from western to english.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Things just seem to be more complicated in english I think.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#That or I have a pro western horse! Hahaha#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
HappilyEverAfter
Groupie
Groupie

Return to Western etc.