Western saddle brands

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Western saddle brands

Postby Andrea R » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:24 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm very knowledgeable about english saddles and fitting but when it comes to western there is not a lot of choice it seems. It's get one saddle and use on every horse. They are getting better now though I think in fitting options. I have a Circle Y myself and am looking for a saddle for a new horse owner. I have seen western saddles in medium, wide, extra wide widths and some with newer flex trees. What is the difference with an equitation saddle? Are the stirrups set back? That is what I am looking for - a saddle that allows the rider to ride in a proper position. It's awfully hard to get the ears/shoulder/hip/heel when your stirrups are way out front.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Besides Circle Y and Billy Cook what are some other good quality makes? and where in southern ontario is the best place to shop (Hamilton area but willing to travel of course)? Picovs, Brubachers, Sprucewood (do they have western?) or ...?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Andrea#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Andrea Arleah+/,Ecstatic+ (HalfArabs)Feinally (Oldenburg/Arab)http://community.webshots.com/user/arleah<br>
Behind every lie there are a thousand men who repeat it as the truth.
Andrea R
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Andrea R » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#oh and what are the differences between full and QH trees etc? Is there a good site somewhere that explains everything?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Andrea#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Andrea Arleah+/,Ecstatic+ (HalfArabs)Feinally (Oldenburg/Arab)http://community.webshots.com/user/arleah<br>
Behind every lie there are a thousand men who repeat it as the truth.
Andrea R
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eileen » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:46 am

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#I don't know much about the english saddles so I cannot give you a comparison....however I have ridden in western saddles all my life...untill recently I have opted for the trooper style...with no horn,but still western stirrups and rigging.&nbsp;looks kind of like the cavalry saddle.&nbsp; Any western saddles that I have used all have the stirrups in about the same spot...I guess it is just a different way of sitting...western vs the English.&nbsp; I dont know...I never realy took lessons on that sort of thing.&nbsp; I do know that the western saddle comes in many different shapes, sizes, weights and styles.&nbsp; It depends on what you planning on doing...barrel racing, roping, trail, endurence, just riding around in a yard or showing.&nbsp; It all makes a differentce.&nbsp; Barrel racing saddles are cut back and are lighter than the old roping saddles that weigh about as much as the horse.&nbsp; You have different riggings for the cinch do you want 1 cinch or 2&gt;&nbsp; Two was originally intended for the roping....kept the saddle more stable when the steer reached the end of the rope.&nbsp; With one cinch you have many choices of where you want the rigging to be...I prefer the centre fire rigging...so the cinch is further back from the elbows of the horse.&nbsp; You can have the cinch closer if you wish.&nbsp; I hope this helps you some...not sure what you are looking for.&nbsp; #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I don't know a whole lot about western saddles either but I *do* know that a good place to buy them is Pleasant Ridge Saddlery in Brantford.&nbsp; Their website is #ed_op#A href="http://www.onlinetack.ca"#ed_cl#www.onlinetack.ca#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#&nbsp; They mostly carry western stuff.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Like Eileen says, there are different saddles for different disciplines (just like in english).&nbsp; Your best bet would be to phone up Pleasant Ridge (or go in)&nbsp;and ask them to explain what the differences are.&nbsp; Tell them what you're looking for and I'm sure they'll be able to help you find something.&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm hoping to buy a used western saddle in the next few months too, so I'll be doing the same leg-work as you, before deciding what&nbsp;saddle I should buy (I only want&nbsp;something for trails and just having fun on).#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:49 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I bought a used Big Horn&nbsp; for my son at an auction. I payed more for it than the new saddles were selling for but it was worth it. I myself have a Circle Y&nbsp;and like it a lot.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Cleaning is a bit of a pain with all the tooling so I recommed you stay away from a fully tooled saddle unless you are going to show with it!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Here is a site that may help you: #ed_op#A href="http://www.saddlezone.com/html-top/information.htm"#ed_cl#http://www.saddlezone.com/html-top/information.htm#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
<strong><font size="3"><font color="red">

El Samar Arabians
Brighton Ont.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/andy.hope
Andy
Newbies
Newbies

western saddles

Postby tackforu » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We sell some really nice, good quality pre-owned western saddles, like CircleY, Billy Cook, Circle D, visit #ed_op#A href="http://www.thetackconnection.com"#ed_cl#www.thetackconnection.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#.&nbsp; look under Tack Room - Saddles - Pre-owned I try and keep the list updated every Friday. You can save yourself quite a lot of money and still get a quality saddle. Also have a lots of English saddles also.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tackforu
Newbies
Newbies

western saddles

Postby tackforu » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:46 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#We sell some really nice, good quality pre-owned western saddles, like CircleY, Billy Cook, Circle D, visit #ed_op#A href="http://www.thetackconnection.com"#ed_cl#www.thetackconnection.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#.&nbsp; look under Tack Room - Saddles - Pre-owned I try and keep the list updated every Friday. You can save yourself quite a lot of money and still get a quality saddle. Also have a lots of English saddles also.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tackforu
Newbies
Newbies

Postby EatMyDust » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Brubachers has alot of variety, go there for sure. You could most likely find something there. But my tack shop is also veryyyyyyy good. They have probally about 200 saddles in the show room, plus whatevers in the ware house. I use pleasent ridge saddlery in Brantford.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; www.onlinetack.com#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
EatMyDust

Return to Western etc.