Bits

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Bits

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:54 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#I am going to try my hand at western pleasure with Dream...I need a western bit, so I am looking for the equivilant of a soft english bit. Right now he goes in a loose ring snaffle.  He's very soft in the mouth so i want to avoid the nastier looking western bits that work from leverage. Thanks for your help.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Grab Life by the Sodapoppers
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I think that ALL western bits work off of leverage...that's what curb bits ARE...leverage bits.  I'm no expert but I've been told that a mullen-mouth curb is the mildest western bit.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're going to use a curb, you don't want a broken mouthpiece because that adds the action of a snaffle, and a snaffle and curb together are pretty harsh (think of a Tom Thumb bit).  So, a mullen-mouth or straight bar curb would be milder bits than a Tom Thumb.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, the longer the shanks, the harsher the bit, so you want something with short shanks.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And that's the extent of my "knowledge" of western bits.  Hopefully some "western" people can help you out better  #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley9.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:23 pm

As far as I know for western any horse over 5years old needs a curb bit
since they must neck rein. But ask around and find out...I think you
might be able to get away with a snaffle that has shanks on it.
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:09 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT color=#0060bf#ed_cl#Hmm what does the leverage have to do with neck reining? I can make him turn on his back end in just a halter with lead shanks LOL Hmm think they'd believe he's 5 and i can ride him in a snaffle? LOL#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you have soft hands, you should be able to ride him in a curb, even a tom-thumb.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Any bit can be "nasty"/"harsh" in the wrong hands.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now, I don't know much about the showing circuit, so I'm not sure what can/can't be used in certain divisions/age groups.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But, I have always like the D-RING Snaffles, the ones w/the copper rollers on it. You could also go with a curb bit that has a really low port, and shorter shanks.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a 7 year old gelding that runs in a tom-thumb, he is extremely soft in the mouth, and responds with the slightest touch, he is ALWAYS in frame, and a dream to ride.  Now, a lot of people don't like the tom-thumb, as they say its "harsh", but my horse prefers it over any other bit, he runs well in it, the reason being...as my riding coach always said, #ed_op#EM#ed_cl#"it's all in the hands, not the bit."#ed_op#/EM#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby AQHAgirl » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:16 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#To show in western pleasure classes at most shows all the bit needs to have is shanks on it.  it can have whatever mouth peice you want inside.  I ride my mare is a single jointed snaffle with shanks, thinking of trying a roller bit or a frenck link just to see how she responds to them.  Make sure the bit you get has curved shanks.   If thery are straight, then it is a Tom Thumb and for most horses a Tom Thumb is a very confusing and harsh bit.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Helen Thomson ~ In riding a horse we borrow freedom

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
AQHAgirl

Postby goldendryad » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:41 am

Nice to see you two - Taco2 and AQHA girl...haven't seen you on here for quite a while!!! Nice to have you back!
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Sodapoppers » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:55 am

I drove around everywhere on the Saturday trying to find a 'nice' bit and couldn't. I wound up using the tom thumb and he didn't neck rein that great in it lol Boy does he stop quick in it too. I think i will just stick to english though!! LOL I was so *un-western* compared to the others! They looked great all dressed up. We got a 4th anyways...blew a lead cause i couldn't bring my leg back far enough to cue him proper so he was like wtf do you WANT mom!? lol I ended up ditching the stirrup so i could cue him properly then just couldn't be bothered getting it back. But anyways i'll write all about it in general ;)
. ·'´)
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ ¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·*`·-»
Sodapoppers
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Western etc.