The Dark Side

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

The Dark Side

Postby chenders01 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I guess I can start posting in this forum now, as I just started last night, taking lessons from the western coach/trainer/BO at my barn.  He is the one who put a month of training on Tequila, and I decided that getting him to help me with the riding aspect would be good.  So, my "dressage" mare is now sporting a western saddle and side-pull when I ride her in my lessons.  Who knows, I may end up over on the Dark Side for good and may end up trading in my Wintec Isabell for a western saddle of my own #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:17 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#LOL...Welcome to the "Dark Side" Chenders...lol I prefer to see it as the "Shadey side of the Street"  lol but it is all in the way that you look at things.  I guess you can always go back to the Brights lights if you wish.  I thinkk that you will like it here though  lol  #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Heh.  As much as I #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley27.gif"#ed_cl# my Isabell, I really like being surrounded by all that leather LOL!!  (sounds kinda kinky, doesn't it??) #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//smiley15.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Seriously, I feel a lot more secure in my BO's big 16" reining saddle than I do in my dressage saddle.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:46 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#"loves being surrounded by all that leather"  *kinkey*  NOOOOOOO not at alllllll   lol  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#I rode in those huge western saddles for years and years...thought that it was the only way to go.....then I got my little ole trooper style saddle...all padded and cushy....my old westerns never had any padding, neither do I.  lol  now. after about 3 years riding in this Royles Royce type of saddle....I would find it very hard to change back.  I do still have the western type of stirrups as well as the rigging and cinch...would not change that but I had this saddle built with my lifting it in mind...cut way down the the leather that was used so no big skirts or extra flaps and decor.  A few brass rings stratigically placed with ties for those long day rides.  But what ever yanks your crank girl...if you love the feel and smell of all that wet and sweaty leather...I say  "go for it"  lol  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:50 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well, I will admit that the seat on the western saddle is HARD compared to the cushy seat on my Isabell.  But I've got lots of padding  #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am nowhere near being ready to part with my Isabell yet and fully expect to go back to dressage at some point.  But the extra security of the western saddle is really nice right now, while I'm working through some "issues" with Tequila (spookiness).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:54 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#It sounds like you have a Plan C.  so go for it...nothing wrong with trying out both worlds Western and English, and maybe you will not want to do both disiplines...who knows....but do your thing...it sounds great that you are trying to deal with your issures.  Good Luck.#ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby goldendryad » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:36 pm

Whatever works for you. Seriously.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Myself, I feel boxed in and unable to feel my horse underneath me in a
western saddle, plus the danged horn gets in my way. I'm much more
comfy in English. But that's what suits me. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I think I may dabble on the dark side this winter, and take (gasp)
reining lessons if I can afford them. Looks like fun and it will keep
me in riding and learning something different.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
I think Tequila looks really cute western, like a fun little games horse.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby chenders01 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:53 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey, GD!  Just noticed that someone else responded to this thread #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl#  You should totally try reining.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I hear ya about the western saddles.  I used to find them too "clunky" and like you say, hard to feel the horse.  But I'm getting used to it!  I went for a trail ride yesterday in the western saddle and wasn't sore at all afterwards.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Being at a western barn, I guess it was inevitable that I'd eventually wander over to the Dark Side...but I am really loving it!  I may NEVER go back to dressage, at this rate.  I'm really enjoying the more "relaxed" nature of western versus dressage.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#And Tequila looks just as good in western gear as she does in english #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//grin.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby KBOC » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:32 pm

Eileen wrote:It sounds like you have a Plan C. so go for it...nothing wrong with trying out both worlds Western and English, and maybe you will not want to do both disiplines...who knows....but do your thing...it sounds great that you are trying to deal with your issures. Good Luck.

I'm seeing so much Western-Dressage crossover it's bloody amazing. What I mean by that is Western Riders spending a lot of time and effort learning Dressage. In this neck of the woods, they're getting very excited about it because of the refinement.

What most of them have a lot of difficulty with is following a feel with contact (as in, not ripping their horses' mouths open)...
KBOC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:18 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hey, KBOC!!  I guess I'm doing it in reverse then...dressage to western #ed_op#IMG onmouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#C6D3EF';this.style.border='1px solid #3169C6'; " style="BORDER-RIGHT: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #3169c6 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #3169c6 1px solid; CURSOR: pointer; BORDER-BOTTOM: #3169c6 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c6d3ef" onclick="InsertImage('/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif');" onmouseout="this.style.backgroundColor=''; this.style.border=''" src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/cheeky.gif" align=absMiddle#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Actually, if you want to get technical, I've gone from H/J to western to dressage and now, back to western.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Return to Western etc.