Tips for Keeping Western Saddle Pads Clean?

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Tips for Keeping Western Saddle Pads Clean?

Postby chenders01 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#So, anyone got any??  I've been riding in my coach's western saddle and using his pad, but today I bought a nice, barely used western pad off of one of the boarders.  It's pretty clean and I'd like to keep it that way.  Any tips for how to do this?  I'm thinking of a putting a terry-cloth towel underneath the pad but am worried about it slipping or bunching up.  What else could I try?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, when they DO get dirty, how do you clean them?  This pad is waaay too thick to wash in my washing machine at home, like I can do with my english pads.  What do you guys do when they need to be washed?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eileen » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:39 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#For the past 10 years or more I have used a vent pad, I cannot remember the brand name and there is no name on it.  It looks like speghetti that has been layed out and then let dry as it lay.  water runs through it freely, thus it is easy to wash, just turn the hose on it and it is dry in minutes.  #ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#The way it keeps you pad clean is that the vent pad lets the horse sweat but it runs down the barrel of the horse rather than soaking into a pad.  Thus the pad just under the saddle is kept nice and clean.  The pad may get damp on a long ride but never ever gets wet and dirty#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby taco2 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is why I have always used saddle blankets for under my pads.  They protect the pads, and they can be washed easily in an old washer, or by hand. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've never understood why more western riders don't use saddle blankets under their saddle pads? They are not expensive..(of course you can find ones that are quite expensive), but the thin ones, which are meant for under a saddle pad, are quite inexpensive.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for washing the pad, that won't really be necessary if you protect it using a saddle blanket. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Once a month I take a stiff dandy brush and brush the underside of the pad, this gets rid of any sweat that may have found it's way onto the pad, I do the same with the top, as well. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby goldendryad » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:07 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Don't use a towel, they bunch up too much! I've been there. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Get a cheap navajo style blanket for underneath. Or a felt pad or something like that. It'll keep things clean and comfy.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Your options for cleaning would be to hand wash or maybe take to a heavy-duty laundry. Or to the truck wash to pressure wash that baby down!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
goldendryad
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

re

Postby lola s » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:13 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#0000ff#ed_cl#I use a saddle towel most times.  Also, depending on your pad, you can just take it to the carwash and use the `rinse' cycle.  That usually blasts all the gunk right out, but takes a while to dry. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
lola s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby graciespook » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:19 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The navajo idea works great. For english riding, I always have my beat up square pads under my nice pad. For western, we always used the navajo and then the big pad. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
graciespook
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Location: It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Underpad

Postby fusspot » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:22 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Check this out: #ed_op#A href="http://www.statelinetack.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441772854&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302024175&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302029179&bmUID=1127307467904"#ed_cl#http://www.statelinetack.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441772854&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302024175&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302029179&bmUID=1127307467904#ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have had two of these pads for at least 5 years. I use them under my therapeutic pad. They are soft, conform to the shape of your horse's back and wash up like a dream. Mine still look brand new. I got mine at Picov's but I don't think they carry them anymore. I wish I could find another supplier in Canada. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
fusspot

Postby taco2 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:56 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The navajo blankets are excatly what I was talking about. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#While on the subject of washing....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A good investment for any barn is an old washing machine, pick one up at an auction, or thrift store.  This way you can wash blankets, brushes, wraps, and other barn items.  We have one in our barn, and it has paid for itself many times over!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Horses Are Like Chips.....Once you have one....You Can't Stop
taco2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:29 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hi, #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#How I've always cleaned my thick fleece padded western pads, is first use a vacume to remove dirt, hair etc, then I will use a carpet spot remover, the kind that foams, and that you have to rub in to the material, I then usually just let it air dry unless Iam in a hurry.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I've also in the past just vacumed them then washed them in the washer. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tink#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Western etc.