Astrailian(sp?) saddles --trail riding--

Chat about Western Riding, Trail Riding and anything in between.

Moderator: EC

Astrailian(sp?) saddles --trail riding--

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:19 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was talking to someone who did competative trail riding back in her day, and i want to get into it next year. I have issues to work trhew first before i do stuff like that but that isn't hwat this is about lol....so she said that they use austrailian saddles? Or something like that, really comphy and nice. Because i hate western saddles oddly enough make me feel like im about to come flying out! And english saddles (posting ) for like 5 hours ( maybe more? ) a day WOW. So anyone have info on these saddles?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MacnRio » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had one. It was comfy, but REALLY hard to fit to my horse - didn't fit him properly.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Also, I was taught you DO post in a western saddle, if your at a fast enough pace ;) You want to slow your horse down to a jog so you don't need to post.  If you think about it, posting in a western saddle makes sense.... Think of the cowboys out there moving cattle for 8-10-12 hours a day.  You can't sit that whole time, your butt would be squished like a pancake and your horses back would be SOOOO sore! Riding english or western, if the ride is bouncy (ie posting trot), I post. Saves the butt!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But, I did find my aussie saddle comfortable, kept ya in there with the thigh blocks and high back.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby chenders01 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:15 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I had one too, once, and used it for trail riding.  I liked the stability it gave (versus an english saddle) especially on steep hills.  I sold it because my coach at the time told me that it would ruin my riding position because they put you in a "chair-seat".  Also, it didn't really fit my horse very well either (it was too narrow).  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If you're going to get into competitive trail riding and endurance, you might be better off buying an endurance saddle.  I think that's what most endurance riders ride in versus aussie saddles.  The aussie saddles are a bit bulkier, and for endurance, and long distance riding, you want a lightweight saddle.  #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
chenders01
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby MacnRio » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:27 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh yeah! That's the other reason I got rid of it - because it gave a crummy seat position! And my seat is bad enough without help :P lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
The more I know about men, the more I like my horse(s)

On the first day God created horses, on the second day he painted them.
MacnRio
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Eileen » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:57 pm

#ed_op#TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"#ed_cl#I had tried a number of Aussie saddles before I finallyl settled on a trooper.  I could not find a comfortable way to ride in any of the Aussies, I tried different sizes and makes....just was not meant for me.  A lot of people do like them though...I suppose it is like a lot of other things...some like them some dont...#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"#ed_cl##ed_op#TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on"#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV id=hotbar_promo#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/TD#ed_cl##ed_op#/TR#ed_cl##ed_op#/TBODY#ed_cl##ed_op#/TABLE#ed_cl#
s.w.ontario

The only horse one can truly trust is a dead one!!!
Eileen
Friends Of EC
Friends Of EC

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:21 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thats awsome that you want to do competative trail! Thats what my horse and I do! I actually have a austrailian saddle for sale I loved it but it didnt fit my horse properly. Its down at Brubackers (spelling?) near Kitchener. Its authentic and real leather none of that cheap fake leather. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#    BUT what I have now is what is called a treeless saddle (there are many different opinions on this type of saddle but I say you cant doubt them until you try them out!) They are like riding a pillow! very comfortable for doing long miles! Here is a website #ed_op#A href="http://treelesssaddle.com/"#ed_cl#http://treelesssaddle.com/#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#   they are awsome saddles! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Postby Pretty_Pony72 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:26 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I can talk to you more on msn about this but stupid question from the web site are all those saddles treeless? I want to avoid those if prossible..#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Sometimes you have to trust what a horse did was right
Pretty_Pony72
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tinkerbell27 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:04 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I own a Aussie saddle, their wonderful. I feel secure in it. I've had mine for over 10 years. They can be heavy, but Wintec is making them now to.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tink#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Tinkerbell27
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eclipse's Fury » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:45 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Yep they are treeless! AND i know there is alot of concern about the saddle sitting on top of the horses spine which sometimes it does it just depends on the shape of the horse thats all BUT all of the horses at my barn I MEAN EVERY SINGLE HORSE LOL fits into a treeless saddle perfectly. So mainly arabs but also anglo arabs. ponies, appendix mare etc. Sometimes if your horse has a really good set of withers it can be alittle tricky to find a USED treeless UNLESS you get one that is slightly peeked which mine is. But ya they really are a misunderstood type of saddle alot of people think that the saddle hurts there horse because it sits on there spine (WHICH IS NOT TRUE LOL) the unique saddle pad prevents that ANYWAYS lol way to much info if you have any specific questions please do ask ! lol Leslie#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eclipse's Fury

Return to Western etc.