where to start

Eventing

Moderator: EC

where to start

Postby weehaw » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:18 pm

i would love to try eventing but don't know where to start! i have a coach lined up and i'll talk to her but i want to know what you guys think first. so any advice would be great!! :D
live to ride, ride to live
proud mother of beautiful thoroughbred mare
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Marty_Jones » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:31 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well you should go EVENTING!!!!! It's SOOO  much fun!!! When you start you should go entry level. Where are you locacted? I would say try Grandview Horse Trials(in Orillia) its a good starter course. Do you have a x-c course at your barn?? Um.... to event you have to be a member of the OEF. Also check out #ed_op#A href="http://www.eventingincanada.com"#ed_cl#www.eventingincanada.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# and #ed_op#A href="http://www.eventingnews.com"#ed_cl#http://www.eventingnews.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# they may help too. You will need a medical arm band, and a crash vest. Um... I think thats the short version of it if you have any more questions feel free to pm me and I'll keep checking back.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby weehaw » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:55 am

its nice to hear someone so positive! lol i've always wanted to try but i've always been kinda scared lol so while all my friends are eventing i'm just chilling at home. hehe. i'm located near london ontario. where do you guys go and event ?
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:05 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#most good eventing spots are around toront and stuff bt theyre pretty much all over ontario.... #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Eventing is great though so if you have the chance I would go for it. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Marty_Jones » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:43 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I generaly stay around the Barrie Orillia area, but Im hoping to expand my show area this year. As for Marty and we are moving to Massey at the end of the month.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Kobau » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:23 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I say go for it... i'm addicted to it heheha and i got addicted about ummmm 10 yrs ago, my coach was going to school xc and invited me along with my jumper mare to see if i'd be interested in it... my mare loved it.. i loved it.. found out that that mare was an awesome downhill and combo jumper.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#but yes it is an adrenaline rush even schooling over lil tiny logs to start with! and hey you have a coach lined up, so nothing to really stop  you from trying it out!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Kobau
Uber Poster
Uber Poster

Beginning Eventing

Postby Eventer-at-Heart » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:36 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#407f00#ed_cl# #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys//horsehead.gif"#ed_cl#That is SO great! A really good place our coach started us was at Combined Training Events. (Look on the OEF website #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.horse.on.ca"#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#40a0ff#ed_cl#www.horse.on.ca#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/A#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#407f00#ed_cl#) It's Dressage and Stadium, and we usually went out after the show to school XC with our coach (you have to book ahead of time, and it's usually $20/each for 2 hours.) But this gave us great experience in a really relaxed setting to just kind of get our feet wet. (Well... hopefully our horses' and not ours) If you have yourself a coach, you can probably round up other people to go out and school, or they may bring one of their horses and go too! I compete a lot in the Hamilton/Barrie area, and all the barns around us that host shows (Eqqus 3D, Checkmate, Glen Oro, etc. ) usually open up their XC feilds for schooling#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#407f00#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#407f00#ed_cl#Good Luck!!!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color=#407f00#ed_cl#It's incredible fun... and just remember the eventing motto... KEEP KICKING!!#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eventer-at-Heart
Newbies
Newbies

Postby weehaw » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:12 pm

thanks for all the advice! i'm definately trying it this year! now i'm soo excited! i guess we better get our butts in gear and start training! lol thanks everyone!!!
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Return to Eventing