grasshopper?

Eventing

Moderator: EC

grasshopper?

Postby weehaw » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:51 am

has nayone on here heard of grasshopper events? they are apparently events for first time eventers and i as wondering if anyone had ever een to one or knew of them
live to ride, ride to live
proud mother of beautiful thoroughbred mare
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby xena_n_joss » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:22 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ya, there arn't "too many" around though. They usually only are walk-trot dressage tests and very low fences, mostly cross-rails and stuff. Its mostly for younger kids to gain confidence. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#As for which farms offer them... I have no clue anymore because they changed everything to just a whole bunch of different levels of pre-training. But I  know there were not many bigger barns that bothered doing them. Its mostly smaller barns that dont offer bigger levels. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
When something goes wrong in a show, it's actually the best time because you learn from it. You ask yourself 'what can I do better?' When everything goes OK, you don't ask yourself that question --- ANKY
xena_n_joss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Marty_Jones » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:01 pm

#ed_op#LABEL id=HbSession SessionId="1740872293"#ed_cl##ed_op#/LABEL#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Just go entry its small and you'll have no problems at it. It's small.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
~STEPH~

You ask me to show you poetry in motion.... I'll show you a horse.

My horse is better then any guy! he wont cheat, he wont lie, and he listens to all my problems and never tells a soul. Love Marty My 'lil snot head.
Marty_Jones
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

grasshopper?

Postby KimW » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:56 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry but I really don't like when people generalize something as easy or hard! Especially at the lower levels some facilities max out all heights and difficulties whereas others can be quite a bit more inviting for beginners.  If you have never done it before or your horse is green even the smallest stuff can be challenging at first.  Or if you're like me and didn't start riding till you were in your twenties and now you're in your forties you really don't have the nerve you used to!!!! lol  If you are anywhere near Belleville I would suggest you get into the Novice Event/Clinic they are having in July (I think?!).  They offer Pre-Entry and Entry and coaching is welcome and encouraged.  It is a good way to try it without putting out the big bucks and alson there are no placings awarded so its just for fun.  Good Luck this summer!  Maybe I will see you there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
KimW
Groupie
Groupie

Postby weehaw » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:14 am

thanks guys! i think i'm going to try it out this summer. i was just wondering about the grasshopper events because i knew i would start at the lowest level but if there are just fun ones such as the grasshopper i'd rather try it there.
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby rubberman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:46 am

If you are in the Ottawa area Rocking Horse has an event with both grasshoper and entry level classes (for both the juniors and the seniors) and it is a fun and inviting course. Kim, I started riding at forty and yes I went through the lower competition levels.
Since I am once again getting back into eventing after a four year hiatus, when I start again it will be at the entry level I am no longer in my 40's and once you hit 50 you don't bounce you break. My end goal is to once again event at training level (any higher ie. advanced or prelim and I don't think my heart can stand the adrenaline rush, neither could my body survive the fall). I fox hunt in the first field so jumping is not really an issue the dressage on the other hand is a different case. :D
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tbbrat » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:00 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Believe me, Rubberman, you don't have to be 50 to be breakable!   Get catapulted onto a log jump at any age and something's gonna give!  (Speaking from experience #ed_op#IMG src="http://forums.equestrianconnection.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/15.gif"#ed_cl#)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
tbbrat
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby weehaw » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:15 pm

i'm not sure of all the rules at the grasshopper events but assuming i'm not too old to be in one would a 16 year old girl look silly being in one, and do you think that it would be ok if i started at the lowest level? i'm very self concious about myself and my riding. so people saying anything about how silly i look would be a real downer. lol i'm definately working on my self confidence!!
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Postby rubberman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:21 pm

LOL, solid jumps are bound to shake anyone up when you hit them and getting run over by a 1,500 lb Clyde X at the hunt after a jump is also hazardous to your health and body parts. :roll:
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby rubberman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:28 pm

Weehaw, I am 50 plus and when I return to eventing, if they have senior grasshopper I may be in that class. Do not worry about your riding abilities and it should not matter to anyone but yourself when it comes to riding (strive to be the best that you can be). Even professionals have off days and some humiliating rides. Always remember you are riding for your own pleasure and a challenge and should not have to measure up to anyones expectations but your own.
rubberman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby weehaw » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:59 pm

thank you rubberman!! i'm just so self concious lately that i was second guessing myself on eventing but now im definately going for it
weehaw
Newbies
Newbies

Grasshopper

Postby Eventer-at-Heart » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:30 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face="Arial Black" color=#ff007f#ed_cl#As far as Grasshopper goes, if you're in the Hamilton Area, Touch 'n Go has them. There was someone who said to just do entry, and I agree with that. Grasshopper isn't that well recognized yet, and it's really variable. You can call a show and ask them if their course designer is going to max out the fences or not. You can only have so many at max height anyway. Entry is usually really safe, offered everywhere, and you can trot all of XC and stadium if you like, it's not timed. Dreamcrest is a really well known event, and it's usually the toughest. My couach tells us that if you can make it clear around a course at Dreamcrest with minimal problems (and even place maybe!) You're ready to move up a level. Just call the shows, they'll let you know what their designers are doing. #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
" I never knew true happiness until I saw a horse"
Eventer-at-Heart
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Eventer*Jen » Mon May 16, 2005 3:01 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Grasshopper events are for green horses or new riders and horses to the event. It is an event to gain experience....(well all levels can be that as well) Anyways if you look in the Omnibus you can look for events that say PT 80, PT 70, some have PT 60. PT 60 is the level you are looking for. Not a lot of shows hold that level you need to look in the omnibus. Good luck if you find one and are going.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Have fun#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eventer*Jen
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Littlegreymare » Tue May 17, 2005 8:03 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I'm also looking for grasshopper events because not only am I new to eventing, but I have young horses as well :) Excellent combination! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I checked Touch n go's website but they don't have any events of any sort listed.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Are there any on the west side of TO? How about x-country schooling? Any suggestions on locations for that?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#For me to dive into eventing and show PT right off is intimidating.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Littlegreymare
Groupie
Groupie

Grasshopper

Postby Eventer*Jen » Tue May 17, 2005 2:48 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The new set up for 2005 is PT 90,80,70, and 60. As I told you before. Grasshopper level is at PT 70 and PT 60!!  Some nice events for you to start off would be: #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Caledon (June 11) PT 70#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Touch by a Rainbow (June 26) PT 70#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Equus 3D is good for showing or schooling (show dates: Aug 7, Oct2)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Some good places to school are at Equus like I said above, also Grandview, Cedar Peaks, Dreamcrest, and Wits End.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Eventing is a sport that is dangerous and you need nerve to show at higher levels. I do eventing because I love the thrill and excitement of everything and I am not intiminated by a lot of fences. It all takes time and practise.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Eventer*Jen
Newbies
Newbies

Foggy River

Postby Teensy » Tue May 24, 2005 11:12 am

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Foggy river has good events where they are called short course events. Its where the jumper and cross country is combined into one section, you start out in the jumper ring and then go out into the x - country and then finish again in the jumper ring. they go down to pre entry i think, so its quite low, and a good starting place.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#you can go to #ed_op#A href="http://www.foggyriverfarm.com"#ed_cl#www.foggyriverfarm.com#ed_op#/A#ed_cl# and get more information if you like.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#T#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Teensy
Newbies
Newbies

Postby beccyroo » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:03 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#There is a grasshopper event at Canterdown (#ed_op#A href="http://www.canterdown.ca"#ed_cl#www.canterdown.ca#ed_op#/A#ed_cl#) I'm going to it... its on Junr 19th, sorry if its a little late notice. It may also be a little far. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
beccyroo
Newbies
Newbies

Postby Lehane » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:37 am

Littlegreymare wrote:#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I'm also looking for grasshopper events because not only am I new to eventing, but I have young horses as well :) Excellent combination! #ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#I checked Touch n go's website but they don't have any events of any sort listed.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#Are there any on the west side of TO? How about x-country schooling? Any suggestions on locations for that?#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl##ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#FONT face=Verdana color=#668f5a size=2#ed_cl#For me to dive into eventing and show PT right off is intimidating.#ed_op#/FONT#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#Why would you do PT (which is PT 90) and not entry (which is PT 80)? PT is just the terms for all of them now, and the number is the height in....centimetres? I really have no idea. Just if you dont' feel comfortable starting at PT start at entry! #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
Lehane
Newbies
Newbies

Postby CSHrider » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:53 pm

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#After a few years off riding and showing (last show in 2000) I wanted to get into eventing again.(Only ever showed Entry)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My first show in almost 5 years was the Combined Training at Equus 3D last weekend. At 23 years old I did PT70. I thought I was going to feel silly but, I wound up feeling quite comfortable. There were many different aged people showing and they all looked as nervous/excited as I felt.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I wouldn't hesitate to start off at PT70 at any age. It helped my confidence and I hope to do PT80 Horse Trials by the end of the season. Which for me is very exciting!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Equus does have really great inviting X-country jumps for starting out and confidence building.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Good Luck!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl# #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
CSHrider
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Eventing